SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Monohull v Cat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/45120-monohull-v-cat.html)

bigbear151 07-18-2008 08:33 PM

Monohull v Cat

My wife and I are starting (I emphasize "starting") to look for our second boat. Something that will be long term -- thinking retirement.

Our current boat is a Beneteau 28' Oceanis. I'm in favor of cats for various reasons. She really has no preference, except that it is larger.

We'd really like to hear all the pros and cons from the seasoned sailors out there.

Thanks in advance,
Craig and Mary.
S/V Oooo, Baby! North Carolina

sailingdog 07-18-2008 09:06 PM

It would help if you said what kind of sailing you intend to be doing. IF you're just coastal cruising and island hopping, a catamaran might very well be a better choice.

Also, what is your budget??

Some Pros and Cons of a Catamaran:

Pros:
  • More living space than a comparable LOA monohull
  • More privacy for living aboard
  • Easier to live aboard since the boat stays level—doesn't heel
  • Often easier to maneuver than monohulls—especially those with twin engines
  • Shallower draft, means you can explore more areas—also good for hiding from hurricanes
Cons:
  • Some catamarans have poor sailing characteristics
  • Catamarans are weight sensitive
  • Catamarans require different sailing techniques than monohulls.
  • Harder to find dock or slip space
  • Some have more equipment (two engines) and more maintenance costs
I hope this helps...

poppa 07-19-2008 01:00 AM

Good analysis sailingdog. Short and sweet. There's lots more but you nailed the major points. Living on the level adds a lot to comfort. Room to stretch, hang a hammock, throw a cast net, store toys, etc... Main living space (salon) is near the same level as the cockpit and adds an immense amount of air and light to your living accommodations. Lots more space topsides but the weight issue is a major factor. Most multihulls loose most if not all speed advantage as you get into a livaboard situation. Amazing how much stuff you can put on a boat and the effect of the cumulative weight.

sailingdog 07-19-2008 05:57 AM

thanks poppa. :)

bigbear151 07-19-2008 01:09 PM

Thanks, sailingdog.

We're not speed freaks, so if the journey takes a little longer, that's OK. If speed is the trade off for stability and room, then that makes sense.

We're thinking this would be the "retirement" boat. We're child-free, no kids, no grandkids, but we do love dogs and will have a couple on board -- small, less than 15 lbs.

We're not open water folks, so we envision ICW, sounds, bays, protected waters.

We don't have a solid financial target yet, the future will hold that secret, but we'd suspect under the $400K range.

Thanks for your insight and response.
Craig and Mary.
S/V Oooo, Baby!

sctpc 07-19-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbear151 (Post 343456)
We don't have a solid financial target yet, the future will hold that secret, but we'd suspect under the $400K range.

For that money you should get a nice cat, alot better than a cave.:eek: