Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008

Crunch is on a distinguished road
Browsing for an open water boat

hi, I am searching for a boat to use for an Atlantic crossing voyage 28'-30', something will a full keel. I'd like to know what manufactures to just stay clear of for their various reasons. Please post your experiences.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Crunch-

It would really help if you said what your budget was, since there are many boats out there, and some are far more expensive than others... An Atlantic crossing can be done by any of a thousand different boats... I wouldn't necessarily limit the search to full keel boats, since many fin keeled, twin keeled, and keel-centerboard boats are more than capable of doing this as well.

Also, recommend you read the post in my signature if you haven't already.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-21-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Crunch ...have you read the sticky on bluewater boats at the top of this forum. Virtually all blue water boats are listed there either in the initial list or the added on listings. Narrow the size range down to your preference and go looking on yacht world at the boats and price ranges.
Old 07-21-2008

I'd like to stay in the 15-20k range for a solid basic boat that does not require a lot of structural work to the hull or top and that is for the most part water tight. Sails in included in good condition with some spares, engine that starts, etc,,,, not necessarily a castle.
I'd like something heavy as I was informed it reduces the rolling on open water
thanks,
Tom
Old 07-21-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
For your price range you will get an ocean capable boat in need of serious attention. Double it for one in the condition you desire.
Old 07-21-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Crunch,

Your budget is pretty low for your requirements. $15-20K could be a budget for outfitting a basic but structurally seaworthy boat for a transatlantic voyage (sails, liferaft, EPIRB, charts, navigation and communication equipment, first aid, provisions, etc).

Also, heavy does not necessarily equate to reduced rolling.

I get the impression you may be new to sailing? Why don't you tell us a bit more about your level of sailing experience. If we have a better understanding of your background, we will be better able to tailor our advice and recommendations.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 07-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Crunch-

A heavy boat doesn't necessarily indicate that it is going to be a more seakindly boat. It really depends on the design and where the weight is located.

Here's a search on Boats.com that includes many of the ones that fit your critieria.

The Sea Sprite 28 and Southern Cross 28 are listed among them, as are the Alberg 30, several Albins, an Allied Seawind, the Bristol 29.9, several Cape Dory and Pearson models, an Etap, several Tartans, a Van De Stadt, and a Yamaha 30. There's also an Elizabethan 31 there.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-21-2008

Just looking for manufacturer suggestions, I have lurked on this site for a little while and read about the fiberglass blistering on some, keel leaking and falling of others and various other issues.
I know that buying used is exactly that.

bad buy ?

1974 Coronado - Boats.com

Last edited by Crunch; 07-21-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
I don't know much about Coronado 28's (Bill Tripp design?), but just looking at those two pics, the lack of bridge deck would concern me for ocean passages.

I'm not trying to be a dank, but if you don't know what a bridge deck is or why one "could" be important for off shore work, then you should keep up your research and not be thinking of buying a boat right now.

By no means am I trying to dissuade you from getting a boat, to the contrary, I want you to get a boat and enjoy this great lifestyle, just get the right boat for you.
Old 07-21-2008

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Clear of

If I read the posters first post correctly he asks what makes to stay clear of not what makes are recommended. So my 2 cents , stay clear of hunters, catalinas & telstars.