Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008

Teirst is on a distinguished road
Question maybe you could help me

hello everyone another first time poster,

I am Active duty with the united states navy and have been looking to start a live aboard life. i have looked at a few boat ranging from pearson 10m, bristol 32, irwin 37 and have a couple of questions.

first off the boat i have liked the most so far (layout wise) was the irwin however as i walked around on the deck i notice some soft spots, how much does repair of a small soft spot cost (about an inch in diameter) and how long would it take.

also i am going to try and talk my wife into going and looking at a 1969 Columbia 36 sloop, the price seems good and it has plenty of upgrades and a recent survey. i was wondering if i could get some opinions about the columbia 36 and maybe some buying tips. like

1. should i use the survey that they have as a good survey or try and get my own?
2. as far as a liveaboard what would you say the most important features to make sure that the boat has is?
3. financing any recomended lenders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
First, get your own survey. The survey they provide may have been less than brutally honest about the faults in the boat, since they are paying for the survey and picking the surveyor.

Second, for a liveaboard boat, you probably want to have a more modern coastal cruiser type boat, since that will generally give you more amenities and living space than an older design would.

As for financing, it would really help to know what type of numbers you're talking about here. What are you thinking of as your "budget" for the boat. Generally, I recommend that 15-20% of the "budget" be set aside for upgrades, refitting and repairing whatever boat you do buy.

If you do have to finance the boat, you will probably want to get the boat USCG documented, since many financing companies will require that as a condition of loaning you the money. That kind of loan is a secured loan and the boat is the collateral. It is sometimes called a Marine Mortgage, and if the boat has a fixed galley and head, the interest is deductible on your taxes much like the mortgage interest on a home would be.

If the bank/financial institution does not require USCG documentation, it is probably an unsecured personal loan and will likely have a much higher interest rate.

Is your wife actively involved in the search and willing to move aboard a boat. If not, you really need to get her in agreement or you're going to have some problems down the road.

Another option for boats would be a small catamaran, which will often have far more space than a monohull of equal LOA. The Iroquois, Catalac 9m, Gemini 105, and several others would make decent liveaboard boats as well as perform decently as coastal cruisers. However, these will generally be more expensive than monohulls of the same LOA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-24-2008

thank you

thank you very much sailing dog for your input which has been helpful. i guess i am a bit of a spot i really want to start this lifestyle, it is something that i have always wanted to do. the real problem that i am presented with is budget. i am trying to find a liveaboard boat for around 15k with 15 being the max. can it really even be done? and if so where should i be looking. i have been looking at craigslist/yachtworld/ebay/sailingtexas are there any others that i am missing??

thank you in advance
Old 07-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would avoid ebay... since most of the sales there are not subject to survey, same with craigslist. I would also highly recommend walking the docks and visiting local marinas... since there are often boats that might be for sale that aren't really advertised as such.

$15,000 is a bit low as budgets go, and you'll be looking at older boats... but if you're able to deal with the smaller cabins and fewer amenities, like no on-board separate shower, then you should be able to find something that will work.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-24-2008

so far its been good

what we have decided we can settle on (and yes everything has been discussed with my wife and she is actually just as happy about the idea as i am and is currently an active user of this site) is we can sleep in a V berth combined shower head is okay as long as it has hot water. my biggest things are head room (im about 6' 3") and i would really like a decent galley.
Old 07-24-2008
Telstar 28

The Catalina 30 might be a very good choice, since it has a very broad user base, fairly decent amenities, and a long production run. Jack Horner, a marine surveyor has a review of the Catalina 30 here. Headroom is 6' 2", so pretty good, don't know about the berths though.

It has a v-berth and a decent double aft quarter berth.

CD will probably pee himself if he sees me recommending a Catalina though.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-24-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
As SD said, $15K for a boat large enough to live aboard is a huge stretch. If you are just going to leave it tied to a dock and use it as afloating condo that's one thing, but it will almost certainly need substantial work (and $) to be ready for even safe coastal cruising.

Where are you?

Another site is Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale.
Old 07-24-2008
Telstar 28

Actually, you might be able to get a catalina 30 in okay shape for that... they're as common as fleas...and the older ones are in about that price range.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-24-2008

TillerJohn is on a distinguished road
Maybe things have changed since my day, Teirst, but when I was in the Navy they gave me nothing BUT a live aboard life ; )
Old 07-24-2008
Telstar 28

I believe he wants a liveaboard life with his wife, not 100 guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillerJohn View Post
Maybe things have changed since my day, Teirst, but when I was in the Navy they gave me nothing BUT a live aboard life ; )

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.