SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Your knowledge and wisdom please. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/45361-your-knowledge-wisdom-please.html)

10acious 07-26-2008 06:15 PM

Your knowledge and wisdom please.

Here are a few general questions for all of you out there.

1. What types of boats in your opinions are the smoothest sailing (comfortable) boats?

2. What gadgets/electronics are in your opinion a must?

3. What gadgets/electronics are in your wish list.

4. What are your opinions regarding what composes the best hull material (composit, wood, steel, fiberglass).

I tried this thread elsewhere and it took a 180 degree turn from where it was intended. Hopefully it stays on track here. Not that anyone was being foul or facetious there as they were all truly genuine in their responses.

cardiacpaul 07-26-2008 06:35 PM

1. What types of boats in your opinions are the smoothest sailing (comfortable) boats?

A mid cabin berth on one of princess cruise lines boat.
Seriously, thats like asking, "I'm going on a trip, what should I pack. "

Oh my god. Some people won't leave home without a GPS EPIRB and a chrome plated titalater valve, Others have to have a sextant, and take a pin and a cork but forget their watch, what difference does it make, you're sailing right?

Thers a couple of adult toys on my christmas list, but
thecuban would have me ground into choriso if I told.

4. What are your opinions regarding what composes the best hull material (composit, wood, steel, fiberglass).
I'd look for a carbon fiber hull, CF unstayed mast, 3 hulls and a really big wallet.

Look, I don't mean to be a PITA, but those questions are far too generic.

What kind of radio do you want in your car, whats the best refridgerator in my kitchen kind of questions aren't really given a lot of thought

narrow it down a bit willya?

what type of sailing do you want to do, where, and when, do you have a budget, or is this the fuel of latenight dreams. Depending on those answers, our responses will be different.

johnshasteen 07-26-2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10acious (Post 346281)
Here are a few general questions for all of you out there.

Lots of smooth sailing boats - depends on where you plan to sail (bay/lake, offshore, Cape Horn . . . . ) For where Paloma sails - offshore in the Gulf of Mexico: Bristols, Cape Dory's, Pearsons, Bayfields, Tayanas, Westsails are all good .

For offshore: autopilot, GPS, depth and knotmeter, VHF - fixed and hand held, single sideband, EPIRB, good stereo with marine speakers, 10M candle power light.
None - Palmoa has them all

4. What are your opinions regarding what composes the best hull material (composit, wood, steel, fiberglass). If you are in salt water, it's fiberglas

I tried this thread elsewhere and it took a 180 degree turn from where it was intended. Hopefully it stays on track here. Not that anyone was being foul or facetious there as they were all truly genuine in their responses.

I answered your questions in your quote

chucklesR 07-26-2008 08:47 PM

I always take my titalater valve with me but have not been able to find a chrome plated one.

10acious 07-26-2008 09:02 PM

Ok, I'll narrow a bit.

It would be a liveaboard boat cruising to mainly salt water but also fresh water ports in both warm and cold climates.

Yes it is a dream but one that has an 85% chance of probability within the next 6 months. So maybe a little more than a dream at this point.

Realy just wanted each of your personal opinions regarding these things hence the reasoning for the over use of the words "You'r" & "Opinion" in the questions.

I'll narrow it down even further: I'd like to keep it to sailing, hence I do not need to know what sex toy floats your boat.

I was thinking as far as gadgets that sat phone, depth finder, sonar, weather fax, bow thruster, stern thruster, solar panels, wind gen, auto pilot, wi-fi, water maker, forced heat & air,chart plotter, GPS, ham radio, vhf, would better ensure a safe sail.

But again, I was looking for your personal opinions regarding these and other items.

blt2ski 07-26-2008 09:39 PM

Now your down to a what sized boat too. As some will say the bow thrusters are nice if single handing a boat over about 40', some will say hogwash.

You're still into personal preference. If in warm clims, a heater may not be needed, yet some will say AC is, others a waste.

Then you get into in mast furling etc, some say great, other too much SA lost!

There is not right or wrong!

If a boat does not have what you consider to be a must have, then the question is, do I skip said boat? or if the boat is what I want, then I add the must have later. I personally would get the best base boat, then would prefer to add must haves later, that way if said boat has a new brand x radio lets say, I prefer brand y, I do not have to throw away per say, brand x and buy brand y, I just toss the older or if it does not have a radio, I buy and install replace older version.

Marty

camaraderie 07-26-2008 10:07 PM

What size boat...budget...single handing or with crew?

In my opinion, the smoothest ride is in full keeled, heavy displacement boats. It is also the slowest ride. Everything is a compromise.

I would choose NON cored fiberglass hull (below the waterline) for most cruising destinations and Aluminum or Kevlar/aramid/composite if I were heading into FAR northern waters.

MUST gadgets: depth sounder, GPS, VHF, EPIRB, LIFERAFT, RADAR (SSB or SATPHONE for offshore), windvane (for offshore)

Nice gadgets: auto-pilot, chartplotter, wind-indicator, PACTOR E-mail, Furling sails, generator, watermaker,

10acious 07-26-2008 10:50 PM

Great answers everyone, your personal opinions are exactly what I was wanting.

I got into budget, boat size and crew with the other board and was when it went sour.

I know it becomes somewhat vague without the goesinta's as jethro clampade would say but Camaraderie Nailed it when stating heavy keeled as smoothest and kevlar composite for the northern waters.

Speaking of which, has anyone had any success with any paticular company doing kevlar or composite hull work for them in the U.S.?

10acious 07-26-2008 10:55 PM

Another thing, It is a fantastic convenience for me how key words are automaticaly hyperlinked to the sites shop. Well thought out.

merttan 07-26-2008 11:40 PM

I agree with Cam's point on heavy displacement, you'll know, for sure, that you are either safe or going to the bottom in rush... Heavier the better, they are slow but strong...