Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008

kpdii is on a distinguished road
Looking at a 1972 Morgan 27'

This week I found a 1972 Morgan 27' for sale at a local lake. I went
to look at the boat today and was hoping to get some opinions from
people familiar with the boat.

My impressions of the boat is that it was solid, but dirty. The
interior had seen better days, but was dry and did not have any musty
smells. It was last out of the water a year and a half ago, and the
bottom was cleaned and their was no blistering. The teak is very dry
and needs lots of attention and a couple of the lines need replacing.
Most of he work I could see doesn't concern, me, but I wanted to make
sure that I wasn't missing something. The issues I questions were

1. The head is still the original that dumps directly into the water.
The owner tells me this setup is illegal (at least in Texas lakes)
How difficult is it to retrofit a portapotty?

2. He has removed the folding table, v berth door and fresh water
tank (lighting for racing). Is there any challenge in reinstalling
any of these?

3. There is a slight "soft" spot under the floor in the area between
the head and sink. According to the owner, it is simple to replace a
rib if needed to fix this. Is that accurate?

4. The original Mercury 9.9hp outboard is off the boat due to poor
running. He was told parts are no longer available and didn't try to
fix it. The price reflects no working motor, but he will include it
if I want it free. I am good with motors, but if I can't get the
parts, I would need to buy an motor. Are parts available? If not,
what would an estimated cost of a used motor be, the owner estimated
$500.

I have pictures, but they were too large to upload

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2008

tjvanginkel is on a distinguished road
re the motor

I can't speak to your questions regarding the boat but I have to believe you can get parts for the engine.
We were able to find parts for a 1967 Johnson 2hp outboard at our local "small town" automotive parts store!
I can't believe that finding parts for a 9.9 Mercury would be any harder.
Hope it all works out!
Old 07-30-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdii View Post
to look at the boat today ......It was last out of the water a year and a half ago, and the
bottom was cleaned and their was no blistering. ....
Is this hearsay, or have you seen the bottom with your own eyes? Certainly take anything anyone tells about condition with with a big grain of salt. To quote the Great Communicator "trust but verify".
Old 07-30-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While I'm not familiar with the boat I would like to respond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdii View Post
to look at the boat today and was hoping to get some opinions from
people familiar with the boat.

My impressions of the boat is that it was solid, but dirty. The
interior had seen better days, but was dry and did not have any musty
smells. It was last out of the water a year and a half ago, and the
bottom was cleaned and their was no blistering. The teak is very dry
and needs lots of attention and a couple of the lines need replacing.
Most of he work I could see doesn't concern, me, but I wanted to make
sure that I wasn't missing something. The issues I questions were

1. The head is still the original that dumps directly into the water.
The owner tells me this setup is illegal (at least in Texas lakes)
How difficult is it to retrofit a portapotty?
It usually isn't difficult to retrofit a porta-potty, but you might consider keeping the current head and adding a holding tank instead, which might be simpler. Raritan makes a small holding tank that fits around the base of the head itself.

Quote:
2. He has removed the folding table, v berth door and fresh water
tank (lighting for racing). Is there any challenge in reinstalling
any of these?
It depends on how he removed them and whether he changed anything that is required for re-installing them after they were removed or not.

Quote:
3. There is a slight "soft" spot under the floor in the area between
the head and sink. According to the owner, it is simple to replace a
rib if needed to fix this. Is that accurate?
This isn't good. Soft spots are generally a sign of bigger problems. Sounds like there was a water leak or standing water for a period of time in that area of the boat.

Quote:
4. The original Mercury 9.9hp outboard is off the boat due to poor
running. He was told parts are no longer available and didn't try to
fix it. The price reflects no working motor, but he will include it
if I want it free. I am good with motors, but if I can't get the
parts, I would need to buy an motor. Are parts available? If not,
what would an estimated cost of a used motor be, the owner estimated
$500.

I have pictures, but they were too large to upload

Thanks
If the outboard is a two-stroke, it may well be fixable.

BTW, you should probably read the post in my signature. Once you get to 10 posts, you should be able to link to the photos after uploading them to a photo sharing website like Flickr.com or photobucket.com. I've described how to do that in the post in my sig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-30-2008
Older Junior Member

lsusailing is on a distinguished road
Looking at a 1972 Morgan 27'

There are parts and amazing mechanics out there that can fix old 2 cycles, they run foreever. My 1974 9.9 outboard was as reliable as any diesel out there and easy for shadetree mechanics to fix for a few bucks.

Head; I had an old Ericson with the same problem. You can, if you like, rip the whole thing out, cap the thru hull and screw down a small portable head that you can buy for 89 bucks. You can go a long time before emptying it out with no smell if you use chemicals . Just a thought if you want a short term solution while you deal with other items
Old 07-30-2008
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
We have a 30' 77 Morgan OI and we're very happy w it. It won't win races but its well built. I would stick w the original head and add a holding tank w a 2 way valve. Then you can use the tank and if you get on the ocean you can use the sea dump.
Old 07-30-2008

jstv4man is on a distinguished road
I know the boat you're referring to. I looked at it also. While the things you brought up are certainly concerns, my biggest one was that there is evidence that the shrouds had been overtightened at some point. There are flat spots on the hull at the sides in that area, and the fiberglass there is like a trampoline. Look at the boat head-on & you'll clearly see the flat spots I'm referring to. Then walk to that location & push on the hull. Otherwise, most of the hardware is there & although dirty, could be restored. The price is low, so it just depends on whether you're up for a large project. I would also say that all or almost all the running rigging needs replacement. Just reply back to this thread if you have more questions. I'll answer them as I can.
Old 07-30-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I raced on these boats back in the late 1970’s/early 1980’s. The Morgan 27 was part of a series of IOR oriented boats that Morgan tooled up in the early 1970’s. They were a very mixed bag. First of all they were flawed as cruisers in that the IOR rule beating measures produced a boat that was compromised in terms of accommodations, sail plan proportions, ease of handling, seaworthiness and to a lesser extent motion comfort.

As race boats these were hard boats to sail well and in many ways were quickly made obsolete by the mid-1970’s boats coming out of the MORC rule such as the Lindenberg 26, J-24, Capri 25. Kirby 25, Soverel 30, and so on. These MORC derived boats performed well on all points of sail and in a wide range of windspeeds, where as the Morgan 27 only performed well in narrow range of conditions and points of sail. Comparatively speaking the Morgan 27’s were pretty good in moderate conditions going upwind and dead down wind (when there was enough wind to go dead downwind) but did poorly in light air and in heavier conditions, and did poorly on a reach or in conditions where surfing was possible.

In a general sense, these were difficult boats to sail well, they quickly lost speed and did not have the acceleration to get it back again quickly. They were a little tender and tended to wipe in a gust. For a 27 footer they needed large sail inventories to be competitive. The one that I raced had a mainsail, light #1, AP#1, #2, #3, 90% Blade, Star cut Spinnaker, radial cut spinnaker, and spinnaker staysail. To keep the boat up to speed and manageable we made frequent sail changes. (Today’s better sailcloth may allow you to eliminate the light #1).

Build quality wise, these were pretty poorly built boats. The keel to hull joint was quite vulnerable due to the rake of the ‘shark fin’ type keel, as was the hull on either side of the keel which would flex when the boat was pushed hard upwind in a chop. Similarly the shroud attachment point was quite vulnerable. I sailed on several of these boats and in heavy air the hull would oil can at the shrouds as the shrouds pulled the windward side of the boat inward. You could actually audibly hear the topsides pop back into place when you tacked the boats in a breeze.

As a result of these known conditions, at least in Savannah, where I sailed these boats, there were standard fixes for the problem. At least on the Savannah boats, the keel was dropped off and the bilge reinforced and larger transverse frames added. Some of the boats had the trailing edges of their keels extended to improve stability and increase the bearing area of the keel on the hull. Similarly longitudinal and transverse frames were added to the topsides in the area of the shrouds.

Of course if you are looking at one of these boats that has not had the remedial work done on it, and its been sailed hard all of these years, I would be very concerned with fatigue in these critical areas of the boat.

Adding a potable water tank, and a holding tank for the head should not be all that difficult. depending on how the vee berth was removed it should not be hard to add back.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 07-30-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Seems to me that Jeff just saved you several years of heartache and several thousand dollars.
Let the beasty go.
Old 07-31-2008

kpdii is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your input everyone, especially Jeff and JSTV. I went back and looked a the boat again last night, and saw exactly what JSTV saw. I have been in contact with several members of the Morgan 27 owners group, and they have mentioned many of the issues, and fixes that Jeff brought up.

After looking at a couple of dozen points that the Morgan guys have brought up, I am still interested in the boat, but moving very cautiously.

We aren't looking to race, but more a family boat for playing with. I contacted two certified surveyors today, and if I move forward, it is likely that I will have the boat taken out and survey contingent on buying. Because of $$$ I would like to do a "floating restoration" so I can fix things over time.

Sailingdog I have a my flickr link, it has about 40 pictures of the boat.

The work in and of it self doesn't scare me, and as JSTV said, the price is realitivly low, but I haven't discussed price outside of what he is asking. The real question is do I feel my car guy skills will translate into a project I am willing to tackle based on what comes back on the survey.

JSTV, while I have you, know anything about the Corinthian Yatch Club sailing classes? My wife is new to this, and that sounds like a great price to get her a foundation to work on whatever boat we get. Also, have you seen any others about that size I should look at? I looked at a Chrysler 26 at Colling County (awful) and a MacGregor 25 that I thought was too small for what we want (occasional weekend overnights for my wife and girls)

Last edited by kpdii; 07-31-2008 at 10:08 PM.