Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008

Finallybuyingaboat is on a distinguished road
Calling all Shark 24 Owners, need advice!

Okay, I have come across a Shark 24 which is only 10 miles from me. I need to figure out what is a fair price given the shape it is in.

Here is a list of what I need to do to get it back in the water:
-Replace both sets of bulkheads
-rip out the entire inside and replace - it is rotten
-strip down and repaint the deck and redo the non skid , no choice, the paint is flaking off in big chunks
-reinforce the entire deck, cockpit and cabin structure as they are all soft. Since it is not a wooden cored boat, this may not be such a big deal. Do the older boats have wood core in the cabin structure? The deck, cabin, and cockpit are the issues that are scaring me here. (Not scaring me off, just scared I cannot get the boat strong enough to get back into racing shape)
-sand down and repaint the hull below the waterline
-blast down the keel and refair it - the keel is not so bad, but I do want to redo it
-All teak needs to be redone
-winches seem to be very loose, can these be tightened back down on a shark?

The mast & boom seem to be in good shape. The spinnaker poles are original wooden spin poles, just need to be cleaned up and cetol applied. The hull itself seems solid , since the boat is full of water and is not leaking. I have yet to see the sails, but there are two sets of main, jib, & spinnaker. The gelcoat isn't great, but serviceable above the waterline.

What would the boat itself be worth? (Ignore any value of cradle or trailer) The boat is on a custom built trailer, and would be included in the deal. Would a price of $2000 be reasonable? My fear is that I am unable to bring this back from the dead and end up having to sell off parts to get my money back. This seems risky, but I am not afraid of putting the time in; I am afraid that it may be impossible to get it back into sailing shape. This is what I want for a boat, but this rebuild may be unreasonable for someone to do in their back yard. All input appreciated. Hey, I wish I could spend $6000 on a shark, but I need to trade sweat equity for a sailboat. I just rebuilt a grampian 23 that I paid $500 for and it turned out very well. Unfortunately, I went for a ride on a shark a few days ago and have realized the difference between a cruising boat and a true sail boat.

Thanks for your input

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2008
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
$2000 is too much

I think that, considering the great amount of work needed on this boat, its value is basically the salvage value of the sails, mast, winches, etc. Hard to imagine this being even $1000.
Old 08-04-2008

Finallybuyingaboat is on a distinguished road
That is sort of what I figured. There is a chance I run into an unforeseen problem in rebuilding this boat which makes it impossible to refloat it. At that point, I would piece it out, so I guess salvage value of the mast and sails is what the boat is probably worth.
Old 08-04-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Seriously, I'd tell the owner you will take the boat off his hands free of charge. He's getting a good deal as a hauling and disposal service will charge him a couple hundred to haul it out and chop it up.
I commend you on your plans to restore it to useable condition and assume as you've done it before that you know you'll be in for a bit of sweat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.