Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008

1stMate49 is on a distinguished road
WOW! OK, I get the point that you all reeeeeally don't like Lookie-Lous, even us honest up front ones! And I do understand your point of views.
So then, help us out here....how do we know what make and model of boat we are looking for without actually viewing them? Yes, we have narrowed the field down considerably based on the kind of sailing we want to do, and the locations we want to sail in. And we have put in the time with Yachtworld looking at what is available within our budget range. But the first few boats we looked at were way too small for our needs......looked great online, but a whole other story in person. Then we looked at quite a bit larger boats, and felt they were more than we could comfortably handle. This is when we decided we had to actually view the boat in person to really know if it is a candidate.
The boat show suggestion is great if you are looking for a new boat....that is not in our budget. (And boat shows around here consist of bass boats, pontoons, and ski boats!) We are looking for a 20-30 year old blue water boat that we can spend some time fitting out while learning the boat.
So, in all sincerity, how do we find 'the' boat without viewing, in person, the options? Like I said before, we are always up front about 'just looking at this time' so there is no confusion.
Thank you all for your input! We are on a steep learning curve here, and value your thoughts and suggestions!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2008
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMate49 View Post
WOW! OK, I get the point that you all reeeeeally don't like Lookie-Lous, even us honest up front ones! And I do understand your point of views.
So then, help us out here....how do we know what make and model of boat we are looking for without actually viewing them? Yes, we have narrowed the field down considerably based on the kind of sailing we want to do, and the locations we want to sail in. And we have put in the time with Yachtworld looking at what is available within our budget range. But the first few boats we looked at were way too small for our needs......looked great online, but a whole other story in person. Then we looked at quite a bit larger boats, and felt they were more than we could comfortably handle. This is when we decided we had to actually view the boat in person to really know if it is a candidate.
The boat show suggestion is great if you are looking for a new boat....that is not in our budget. (And boat shows around here consist of bass boats, pontoons, and ski boats!) We are looking for a 20-30 year old blue water boat that we can spend some time fitting out while learning the boat.
So, in all sincerity, how do we find 'the' boat without viewing, in person, the options? Like I said before, we are always up front about 'just looking at this time' so there is no confusion.
Thank you all for your input! We are on a steep learning curve here, and value your thoughts and suggestions!
the best way to learn about sailboats is to get involved.
join a yacht club as a social member and try to get into weeknight racing events as crew.
there is always someone looking for crew.
you will get to sail on other peoples boats and see what you do or do not like about them.
you will also get some solid first hand sailing knowledge and a chance to build relationships with sailors who will most likely be able to point you in the right direction as far as the pros and cons of what you had in mind.
it might even put you in the loop of a good deal comming up.
Old 08-12-2008

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMate49
WOW! OK, I get the point that you all reeeeeally don't like Lookie-Lous, even us honest up front ones!
No, you're wrong. The lookie-loo's that people don't like are the dishonest ones. If you are completely honest and upfront about your intentions then no one has any room to complain about anything. Of course, that also means that you don't have any room to complain if someone says "I don't really want to spend my time showing you around the boat if you are not interested in buying."

As for research, there are lots of books. There are sailing clubs. There are a thousand websites out there. There are plenty of people who will be glad to show you around their boat. Most people are very proud of their boat. Wander the marinas. I have had people invite me to take a look below just because I was admiring their boat. There are lots and lots of ways to learn about different kinds of boats without lying to people, and that's the main thing. Like I said before, if you are honest then no problem. If you are not...
Old 08-14-2008

OZBOATIE is on a distinguished road
Sapperwhit has hit it on the head
the broker should act in the best interest of the seller to ensure a sale not drive off prospective purchasers after all if they dont like that boat they may like another .

While on the subject why is it that many brokers exaggerate the condition of the boats they are selling?? Rubbish is rubbish after all even if it someones pride and joy
Old 08-15-2008

sctpc is on a distinguished road
sounds like a world wide upper class brokers, That don't need to sell boats to anyone. its the same problem in Australia. Ive been try to get info out off them for months as there 2000 to 9000ks away I am making the mistake off asking questions and it takes over a week to get any response. today I rang a broker that I have been emailing for over a month He had no idea who I where, I was off the phone in 15 seconds why when I asked about the boat he said "i`m busy ring me later " this is at 10am on a normal work day if it was not for liking this particular boat I wouldn't keep trying to find out about it.
Old 08-15-2008

nightowle is on a distinguished road
By reading this, boat brokers are starting to sound worse than real estate brokers (none of which I've had good experiences with). I bet the broker in question here will be on the bread line real soon with an attitude like his. oh wait.....the boat business is screaming right now! not.....
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Old 08-15-2008
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
When I was looking for a boat three and a half years ago, I called a broker who had a listing for a boat I wanted to see. He basically blew me off after I started asking some pointed questions. I ended up with another broker that I happened to meet at a boat show and made an off-hand comment that I may be interested in buying a boat in the future. (No definite commitment.) To my surprise, he called me two weeks later and told me he had a boat he wanted me to see and would make all the necessary arrangements. I went to see it and ended up buying the boat. He didn't need to do what he did but it did result in a sale. I have since found out he is very successful salesman at his brokerage and gets a lot of repeat business. He gets it.
Old 11-23-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Hopefully this thread isn't too old to revive.
I run a website development company and sometimes we have some slack time between jobs.
The Internet has a bunch of websites for crewing, lots for buying and selling, cruising and more.
This thread made me wonder if maybe a website devoted to matching lookie lou's and proud owners would be a service folks would use. I think that sailboat owners are a generous, helpful lot in general and usually go out of their way to introduce new people to our sport.
I know I wouldn't mind showing the Catalina 27 and 30 to a lookie lou from the Midwest.
I'm not thinking of a commercially viable site just something fun to do.
What do you think?
In fact a lookie lou would probably find out more valuable information from an owner of a boat that was not for sale than from someone with a boat for sale.
Lots of interesting pieces of information:
  • What boat we had before?
  • Why this boat.
  • How the shopping process unfolded
  • How much it cost
  • How much we spent afterwords
  • What we like, and don't like
  • What we would do different if we had to do it again
In short an in person sailnet.com conversation.

Last edited by davidpm; 11-23-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
It sounds like you would just be setting up yet another brokerage site, but with a different form for the seller/buyer to fill out and get matched by. Might work, dating services do.

But can you make that all clear and specific and sum it up in a 100-word business plan that shows how who'll profit, protect both sides, and generate income differerntly from any other broker doing interviews? Remember, lots of folks use brokers because they don't WANT to say anything to the buyer.
Old 11-23-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
HS...he is not looking to do a commercial site...just put one up as a service and something interesting to do.

David...I'm not sure about the idea as I would think boaters in many areas would get innundated with requests for a viewing....but lets see how others feel.