Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road
qualifying to " view " boat for sale

Today I made inquiry on a vessel for sale of a broker & was questioned about my qualifications sailing before making an appointment for an associate of mine to view the boat before I traveled 2000 miles for the same purpose . Having observed the moronic , I felt compelled to point out the obvious & informed the broker that my critical mass qualification for our purposes was that I was a prospective buyer & that he & the owner should realize that when you put a boat on the market....people will want to view it . Has anyone else here experienced this sort of screening from a broker ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2008

RichP is on a distinguished road
IMHO its non of the brokers business!
Old 08-04-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
He will drive away many prospective buyers with that sort of talk.
Old 08-04-2008
Honey-Do II

HoneyDoII is on a distinguished road
I had a couple that totally ignored me when I called or wrote once they found I was on the East Coast and wanted to see vessels that were on the West coast. End result, I found a different broker that had no such concerns, I flew out, viewed the boat and bought it. The broker that ignored me had to split the commission.
Old 08-04-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
Kjango,

Please tell me the broker's name! He sounds like my kind of person!

Having put up with the following:

1. A guy so old he had to be helped onto the boat.
2. A guy who had never owned a sailboat.
3. A guy who didn't know 'you could make yer own 'lectricity on a boat
4. A couple who 'had sailed Sunfish a couple of times'
5. A quartet of Frenchmen who spoke not one word of English, and no translator with them
6. A couple who poked into every cabinet, then got me distracted to inspect the engine room for a few minutes...when they left, I noticed our hand-held GPS was missing...
7. A couple from Kansas who wanted me to take them out so they could find out how the boat rode in Biscayne Bay--for free! No agreement to buy, no earnest money, no nothing. (BTW, I told them I'd be happy to take them out on Biscayne Bay for four hours, $125.00 per person, minimum four people, BYOB. That cooled their jets in a hurry.)
8. To be crude: a couple who were both as big around as they were tall, and who couldn't even sit at the main salon table

I would be tickled pink if the broker at least got some kind of idea what kind of boat someone really wants/needs. I'm so sick of getting the boat ready to show and then the people who show up, look at the 71 foot mast and spend the next five minutes catching flies with their mouths, I could scream!

The problem is, as I've said elsewhere, that a broker is a salesman. Neither the buyer's broker or the seller's broker have the boat owner's best interests in mind. At least it sounds like this guy is trying to screen people. That's a d*** sight better than our group. Maybe you feel insulted. I wouldn't. He's just trying to spare everyone from wasted time, money and effort.
Old 08-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm going to have to side with Gary1 on this... while it may not be the broker's right to ask certain types of questions, it would be a good idea to qualify the buyer in certain respects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-04-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Though I see both sides, the reality here (and we are talking reality) is that you cannot qualify someone over the phone without pulling SS numbers and a credit check, etc with a bank account and 2 years tax returns... etc.

I could really care less if they have ever sailed before. That is their problem. They are adults (hopefully). If they want to go drop a large sum of money into a boat purchase without a lot of credentials - let them. My parents bought their boat without EVER owning any boat of any kind and their sailing experience was limited to an ASA 101 and many weekends with me and the family. Their first purcahse: A Tayana Vancouver 42. In essense, it does happen.

Now, I think the other broker (Buyers broker) should go through the steps of simple pre-qualifying to make sure they can afford the boat. That might be nice, eh?

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-04-2008

RichP is on a distinguished road
Since when did qualifications and good sailor become necessarily related? Some of the best sailors i know don't have a single qualification! If he'd asked about previous sailing experience or knowledge...
Old 08-04-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1 View Post
Kjango,

Please tell me the broker's name! He sounds like my kind of person!

Having put up with the following:

2. A guy who had never owned a sailboat.
Ask the broker who sold me my boat about this. I had never owned a boat before, just like you and everyone else in the world unless you are born with your boat attached to you. I went to look at the boat, bought the survey from a month earlier from a guy who passed on it, took it for a spin, and handed him a check two days later. My buying process took all of five days from first sight. Those are my "qualifications".

I hope this broker said, "let me ask you a few things about what kind of boat you are looking for" or maybe, "what kind of sailing do you plan on doing". If he comes right out of the box and say "what are your qualifications to be a prospective buyer of this boat?", you bet bet your ass I'd close my check book and go look at another boat without a second thought.

The boat may be "the one", but I'm not giving my money to someone I don't want to do business with. I've excercised my market power like that a few times. Do you think I'm going to part with 100K (or whatever your boat costs)and deal with your smug personality.....no way.

BTW, you aren't looking to purchase Maltese Falcon are you? You may need to present some "qualifications" for that one.

Maltese Falcon
Old 08-04-2008
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road
Questions about what kind of boat you are looking for, even on how/where you intend to use the boat I can see. But why would they care about your sailing qualifications

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.