C & C 30' - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 Old 08-18-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Try a C&C 32, similar design but more space.
rugosa likes this.

Certified...in several regards...
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 Old 08-18-2008

My husband and I bought a 1974 C&C 30 about 12 years ago that already had a Yanmar 25 hp diesel (approx 3 years old at the time) installed but was in rough shape cosmetically. We first had a hull job done then worked on the rest ourselves and now absolutely love her!! She is a heavy boat (7500 lbs) so we lose races in light wind but in heavy weather we cream the competition!! It is very sturdy and its lines are classical, not much changed to the current C&C's. Husband rewired the whole boat and I worked on the wood and interior. The only current irritations are the portlights that still leak and the roller reefing boom to which you can't connect a vang. We pulled out the alchohol stove and just carry a butane portable and use the space for fenders. By rating, we are the 16th fastest in local yacht club of approx 60 boats. I don't even look at ads for other boats (except the Telstars) as this is the perfect intersection of strength, design, affordability, and opportunities for upgrades. Hope this helps!! Good luck!
post #23 of 33 Old 08-20-2008
Here .. Pull this

Quote:
Do not buy a C&C with the atomic IV gasoline engine. The engine compartment ventilation system is likely dangerous due to domestic type non-ignition protected AC breakers in the compartment. The AC conductors were solid core copper which at this age is breaking down and unsafe. The fuel tanks were mounted directly on a wooden deck without airspace underneath and the bottoms rotted out. Check ALL hoses as they are probably rotten. Foredeck and side decks are probably soft. Google C&C owners for a link to the owners association.
Thanks for all the encouraging words there Sunshine The possibility exists that the boat has been properly maintained ....
post #24 of 33 Old 02-14-2015

Re: C & C 30'

I have a chance to buy a never used C&C 30 hull, with rudder but no keel (where do I get one??). The hull has never been used or built up, no engine, factory fresh has been stored for decades, bought in the early 1980s. a version 2 I think. Is $2100 too much? (No mast/engine/keel either, but has uninstalled deck hardware, tanks etc).
What would it cost to finished equipping and building this approximately, and is it worth it?
Al
post #25 of 33 Old 02-14-2015
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorAl View Post
I have a chance to buy a never used C&C 30 hull, with rudder but no keel (where do I get one??). The hull has never been used or built up, no engine, factory fresh has been stored for decades, bought in the early 1980s. a version 2 I think. Is $2100 too much? (No mast/engine/keel either, but has uninstalled deck hardware, tanks etc).
What would it cost to finished equipping and building this approximately, and is it worth it?
Al
These guys are ex C&C people who bought all the inventory when the original factory shut down. They have many new OE parts, all the specs, all the blueprints etc. and know more about these boats than anybody.

South Shore Yachts.
Faster likes this.

Dirt People Scare me
post #26 of 33 Old 02-14-2015

Wow thanks!!
Fast response!
post #27 of 33 Old 02-14-2015
Just another Moderator

This would, of course, be a project, but without many of the pitfalls of the typical 'project boat' since what you would have is essentially new.

However there's every likelihood that by the time you got her finished, afloat and servicable you'll be into it for a lot more than you could buy a very nice one in good, usable shape for tomorrow.

You'll be paying top price for a lot of stuff..(no manufacturer's bulk discount), the keel itself might be problematic, though Mars Keels could likely make you one for a price. If the keel ends up being a custom job (ie if C&C molds no longer exist) it would be interesting to redesign the keel to a more modern design for even better performance than the original - but it would need to be carefully engineered.

Odd that if it was never finished it's only a MkII.. I'd try to get some more history on why that is.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-14-2015 at 10:57 PM.
post #28 of 33 Old 02-14-2015

Someone with too many projects I am told. It does look fresh in the pics, except for the wood around the cabin entrance.
Sailr
(a never completed hull and deck with rudder, sold off the in '80s. Work done over the years. Gelcoat is coated with high-tech Siloxane (needs more coats).

Hardware includes: pulpits, lifelines, 6 winches, cleats, organizers. In-builds include 50gal water tank, soil tank, WC, 10 drawers, shelves, forward berth, f-berth settee)

Last edited by SailorAl; 02-14-2015 at 11:05 PM.
post #29 of 33 Old 02-15-2015
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorAl View Post
Al
An early '80s would be a Mark I, built until 1984, a boat I owned and think the highest of. You can buy a nice one for $15,000 and go sailing... a hull like this is worth nothing and it would be dumb to try to taking it on. Purchasing a mast, boom, rigging, engine, sails, keel, miscellaneous gear, not hard to get north of $40,000 without finishing the full list of tasks. Add the labor, or the value of a year or two of our time, and its hard to imagine.
Jeff_H, Faster and rugosa like this.

Certified...in several regards...
post #30 of 33 Old 02-15-2015

As others have noted, it would cost several times the value of the boat to complete a boat that only has the equipment that you describe. Losing a mast is usually enough to total a boat like this. Because of that, a bare hull with minimal gear has a negative value. You would be way ahead of the game finding one in really good shape and paying fair market value for her.

If you really want a project, and don't care about expense and time, then perhaps try to find the same model that is essentially intact but with a badly damaged hull and transfer the parts.

Lastly, as much as these are a venerable and well loved design, this is a very old design and there are a lot of equally well constructed and equal or better designs out there for similar costs.
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.