SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   transporting a boat... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/45700-transporting-boat.html)

mrhoneydew 08-04-2008 08:09 PM

transporting a boat...

I have tried to do a search for a previous thread on this topic, but the search function isn't working for me.

Any ideas on a ballpark figure to ship a 34', 12000lb boat from Michigan to Seattle? Roughly? It's roughly 2200 miles. I know there are shipping companies that I can request an online quote from, but I would like a preliminary figure before I proceed just to know if it's feasible. I would prefer not to fill out my information and have them bothering me for the next several months to know if I want them to ship a boat for me. No need to go any further if it costs a bzillion dollars. Are we talking $1000, $5000, $10,000...?

I appreciate any insight anybody could give.

Thanks,

don

buckeyesailor 08-04-2008 08:48 PM

I'm sure you'll get better info soon but if I recall, last year I was quoted about $4/mi. which was for over 8' beam and under 18,000 lbs. which puts you in the 10k range.......don't forget there's a charge on both ends getting the thing on the truck and taking it off......adds up quick.....

and that was before $4.50/gal. diesel.........

mrhoneydew 08-04-2008 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyesailor (Post 349825)
I'm sure you'll get better info soon but if I recall, last year I was quoted about $4/mi. which was for over 8' beam and under 18,000 lbs. which puts you in the 10k range.......don't forget there's a charge on both ends getting the thing on the truck and taking it off......adds up quick.....

and that was before $4.50/gal. diesel.........

Ai Carumba!!! Yep... if this is indeed the case it is cost-prohibitive for the sort of boat I am talking about. Definitely not worth it, though my uncle has a truck and trailer... might think about going and picking it up myself. Need to find out some more info about the boat though.

Thanks for the reply.

Freesail99 08-04-2008 09:12 PM

[QUOTEDefinitely not worth it, though my uncle has a truck and trailer... might think about going and picking it up myself. ][/QUOTE]

The first people I hired to move my boat used a home made trailer. Upon reaching the first over pass they had to turn around and bring my boat back to the marina they picked it up from, as it would not go under the over pass. Oh, they also wanted to charge me for that trip.

RocketScience 09-11-2008 11:00 PM

Good question, being I'm in Seattle too. Unfortunately, on the West coast, we just don't have no where near the great selection you East-coasters have.

However what about 'option B', as in having it professionally 'sailed' around? Is this even realistic, or on par (cost wise) with over-land shipping?

mikehoyt 09-12-2008 12:29 PM

A friend looked at a 37 foot boat in Chicago. The estimate to ship it to Nova Scotia was 10,000. Another 38 foot boat from BC was shipped to Nova Scotia because the owners moved here - the number I heard was 25,000 - but it was a two year old 225,000 boat he already owned ...

Someone else asked me why they are not shipped by rail. I had no answer to that question but iit would be interesting to hear others comments.

Mike
J27 #150

Freesail99 09-12-2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

Someone else asked me why they are not shipped by rail. I had no answer to that question but iit would be interesting to hear others comments.
The height of the sailboat on the rail car, may be a huge issue with tunnels or overpasses.

tommyt 09-12-2008 12:44 PM

On the rail question, I am no expert, but there is a reason that the containers and all cars are the same height. Sailboats of any size would not fit in a container, and for that reason they would not fit in the tunnel.

hellosailor 09-12-2008 01:36 PM

Railroad flatcars apparently stop at 8'6" max width, so even using a flatcar instead of a cargo cube, larger boats would be too fat. Then, there are two additional crane hoists to pay for, loading it on and off the railroad in addition to the end points. And, two trucking operations, one at each end.

Don, as others have noted your price will depend on whether the boat is oversize (length or width or both) and also on how tight your schedule is. If you call a shipper and say "Anytime in the month of..." you may get 1/4 to 1/3 discount compared to a quote asking for a specific weekend. That's because sometimes they can use your boat to fill a deadhead run. Time of year, destination, lots of variables. If you ask the shipper " Is there any way I can get it there for less?" they may be able to make you an offer. It never hurts to ask.

Sailing it around, in terms of time, insurance, crew fees, Panama Canal fees (expect a minimum of $1000 and possibly double that)...nice trip but if it was a money saver, there'd be a lot less boats on the highway.

tommays 09-12-2008 04:49 PM

http://www.triadtrailers.com/images/...nails/J125.jpg

i guess thats why the trailer builders get so creative :D