Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008
A melon with a dream...

mrhoneydew is on a distinguished road
Question transporting a boat...

I have tried to do a search for a previous thread on this topic, but the search function isn't working for me.

Any ideas on a ballpark figure to ship a 34', 12000lb boat from Michigan to Seattle? Roughly? It's roughly 2200 miles. I know there are shipping companies that I can request an online quote from, but I would like a preliminary figure before I proceed just to know if it's feasible. I would prefer not to fill out my information and have them bothering me for the next several months to know if I want them to ship a boat for me. No need to go any further if it costs a bzillion dollars. Are we talking $1000, $5000, $10,000...?

I appreciate any insight anybody could give.

Thanks,

don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
I'm sure you'll get better info soon but if I recall, last year I was quoted about $4/mi. which was for over 8' beam and under 18,000 lbs. which puts you in the 10k range.......don't forget there's a charge on both ends getting the thing on the truck and taking it off......adds up quick.....

and that was before $4.50/gal. diesel.........
Old 08-04-2008
A melon with a dream...

mrhoneydew is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyesailor View Post
I'm sure you'll get better info soon but if I recall, last year I was quoted about $4/mi. which was for over 8' beam and under 18,000 lbs. which puts you in the 10k range.......don't forget there's a charge on both ends getting the thing on the truck and taking it off......adds up quick.....

and that was before $4.50/gal. diesel.........
Ai Carumba!!! Yep... if this is indeed the case it is cost-prohibitive for the sort of boat I am talking about. Definitely not worth it, though my uncle has a truck and trailer... might think about going and picking it up myself. Need to find out some more info about the boat though.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-04-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
[QUOTEDefinitely not worth it, though my uncle has a truck and trailer... might think about going and picking it up myself. ][/QUOTE]

The first people I hired to move my boat used a home made trailer. Upon reaching the first over pass they had to turn around and bring my boat back to the marina they picked it up from, as it would not go under the over pass. Oh, they also wanted to charge me for that trip.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2008

RocketScience is on a distinguished road
Good question, being I'm in Seattle too. Unfortunately, on the West coast, we just don't have no where near the great selection you East-coasters have.

However what about 'option B', as in having it professionally 'sailed' around? Is this even realistic, or on par (cost wise) with over-land shipping?
Old 09-12-2008

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
A friend looked at a 37 foot boat in Chicago. The estimate to ship it to Nova Scotia was 10,000. Another 38 foot boat from BC was shipped to Nova Scotia because the owners moved here - the number I heard was 25,000 - but it was a two year old 225,000 boat he already owned ...

Someone else asked me why they are not shipped by rail. I had no answer to that question but iit would be interesting to hear others comments.

Mike
J27 #150
Old 09-12-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Someone else asked me why they are not shipped by rail. I had no answer to that question but iit would be interesting to hear others comments.
The height of the sailboat on the rail car, may be a huge issue with tunnels or overpasses.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-12-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
On the rail question, I am no expert, but there is a reason that the containers and all cars are the same height. Sailboats of any size would not fit in a container, and for that reason they would not fit in the tunnel.
Old 09-12-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Railroad flatcars apparently stop at 8'6" max width, so even using a flatcar instead of a cargo cube, larger boats would be too fat. Then, there are two additional crane hoists to pay for, loading it on and off the railroad in addition to the end points. And, two trucking operations, one at each end.

Don, as others have noted your price will depend on whether the boat is oversize (length or width or both) and also on how tight your schedule is. If you call a shipper and say "Anytime in the month of..." you may get 1/4 to 1/3 discount compared to a quote asking for a specific weekend. That's because sometimes they can use your boat to fill a deadhead run. Time of year, destination, lots of variables. If you ask the shipper " Is there any way I can get it there for less?" they may be able to make you an offer. It never hurts to ask.

Sailing it around, in terms of time, insurance, crew fees, Panama Canal fees (expect a minimum of $1000 and possibly double that)...nice trip but if it was a money saver, there'd be a lot less boats on the highway.
Old 09-12-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough

i guess thats why the trailer builders get so creative

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.