Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008

Livinondreams is on a distinguished road
Youngbuck needs opinons on possible boat

alright yall well I have been looking at this contessa 26. Its in somewhat rough shape but the price is pretty low. It seems like it would be a good start but I would definitly like some opinons. I figure if I did most of the work on it myself and try to find some deals on parts then I might be able to get it back to ship shape,anyways here is the link to the pictures laxman11189's Public Gallery - AOL Pictures ......some of the pics are pretty rough
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2008
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Might? Is it a risk you're willing to take? That boat needs a lot of work....
Old 08-06-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
That's not a sailboat. That's a flower pot.
Old 08-06-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotun View Post
Might? Is it a risk you're willing to take? That boat needs a lot of work....
True....but at least if it doesn't pass muster, there's always the garden in the cockpit option!

Wow! THAT is some major grodieness...but hey, if it flicks your bic, have it surveyed...you never know.

Bob

Last edited by fullkeel7; 08-06-2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-06-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
That's not a boat, it's a price tag of 2000 bucks to cut it up and cart it off to the landfill.
IF you have the space, tell the owner if he'll deliver it to you that you won't charge him anything for disposal, then proceed to clean it up before you cut it up.
I seriously doubt the hull is true if it's been sitting on those crooked stands for as long as it takes to get in that condition.
Old 08-06-2008

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
Doing all of the work yourself is a great way to save lots of $ (if you have the time) but just like in the automotive world....parts get very expensive. On this boat you will be replacing all of the running and standing rigging which will easily run over 1g. There must be extensive water penetration into the decks (if not the hull too) Epoxy and fiberglass aren't cheap, as well as the other related materials (core, sanders/grinders). Then there are the sails, motor, electrical systems, pluming.....etc. Boats are like a can of worms...way more than anyone would think physically possible for their given size. If you take some time and find a boat that someone has taken good care of for many years, that is only parting with it due to age or health issues, or lack of use, then you will spend more initially but will spend much less in the long run. The boat market in the US is pretty stagnant right now so it's a buyer's market.
I am only saying this because of my experience. My first boat was a Pearson 26. It was a good boat, only needing a good cleaning and a new head/holding tank. I bought it for 5k... I sailed the crap out of that boat and worked on it here and there...mostly sailed it though. After a few scary nights out on Lake Champlain including a near broach (lots of water in the boat), an outboard that wouldn't stay in the water in heavy weather and heavy pounding in steep waves, I decided that boat wasn't safe enough for my kids. Having my daughter say " daddy....can you make the water come through the windows again " was the final cincher though So i Bought my current boat for very cheap (10k) thinking i would do all the work and save lots of $. Well.....I spent about 12k on parts, worked my ass off and now the damn thing is sitting on the hard in a yard 3 hrs from my house........a can of worms i tell ya. So don't take on a project bigger than you can handle...or ya won't be sailing nowhere. Although, if i wasn't married with 2 kids I would have had way more $ and time so maybe it would work for you!!
Oh yeah....my big mistake. I hired the worst marine surveyor around (unbeknownst to myself at the time) and put too much faith in him! OOps!

Last edited by southerncross31; 08-06-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-06-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
That's not a boat, it's a project! When I was in my twenties I might have tackled it, buying the hull (if both hull and deck are sound) for a couple hundred. But now in my sixties, you couldn't give it to me! I have a friend who bought a fire damaged boat that looked nearly that bad, and in two years he was sailing it. It can be done! It will be a heck of a lot of work, like restoring an antique Ford that has sat in a mouse infested barn for the last 40 years. If and when you finish it, you will have learned enough about marine systems that you will save money on repairs on any boat you ever own. If you have to rent a space to work on it, it will not be economically practical, because of the time required. If you don't love it, and like DIY projects, you will never finish it. It will be a money pit for both parts and tools. I assume you are contemplating it as a way to get in the sailing sport inexpensively. Better also check into cost of a trailer and/or slip fees after you finish. If you can't justify those costs, forget it! Knowing that, I wish you luck! As I said at the top, if I were young again, I'd go for it!

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd have to agree with Chuckles and Fullkeel. $2000 is way too much to spend on that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-06-2008

Livinondreams is on a distinguished road
he wants 1000 obo for it and I definitely have the time to work on it but I don't want to end up putting more money into it then its worth
Old 08-06-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinondreams View Post
he wants 1000 obo for it and I definitely have the time to work on it but I don't want to end up putting more money into it then its worth
In its present state, it's worth $0. It could easily have negative value... Keep looking, Cap'n. There are deals out there, but in my opinion your time would be better spent looking for the great deal than fixing up something like that. Hang in there!