Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008

Desertwarrior is on a distinguished road
16 foot Cat

I'll be buying a live aboard In the next 5 yrs after I finally retire. In the mean tme I'm looking for a small boat to teach my 10 yr old daughter how to sail and for me to have some fun and get back into sailing. I saw this boat posted on the lake pleasant marina web site.
1987 TRAC 16' CATAMARAN, TRAILER, $695
I have attached a picture
Here is their description from an email

"The boat is all their, not missing anything I know of, but it should be gone through. I would check all the lines and bungie cords carefully. I think the trampoline will need to be restitched soon, the fabric looks good but the stitching has seen a lot of Arizona sun. "

Any thing else to look for? for 695 it seems like it would be hard to go wrong. which is why I am posting this. Are these boats crap? Do they fall apart or are parts expensive. Any advice will be deeply appreciated.
Dana
Attached Thumbnails
16 foot Cat-87trac16.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm not all that big a fan for small catamarans as teaching vessels. IMHO, a monohull dinghy would make far more sense. The beach catamarans have some idiosyncracies, like flying a hull, having the apparent wind far further forward and such that make them less than ideal as a teaching vessel choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-10-2010

glmark is on a distinguished road
We sail a 17 foot Supercat on a shallow lake in WI but it's a short season for a wet boat. Things that have gone wrong: dropped the mast and bent it, broke a shroud, tramp needed to get replaced, some rudder issues. Nothing too expensive. For $695 with a trailer it doesn't sound like you can go too far wrong if there is no structural damage. It doesn't matter what kind of boat you'll still be constantly "investing" in it.
Nothing beats a cat for sheer "take your breath away" fun! It's how I learned to sail, but then I'm not a great sailor, just a guy who likes to sail.
Old 09-10-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I learned to sail on a Hobie 16. Great boat. I feel the idiosyncrasies of beach cats are actually beneficial for learning to sail. Before I get into details on this I will say if you are worried about parts and support look at an older used Hobie 16. They have fleets all over the country, parts are still made, and many people are around to help you and your daughter.

Why I think beach cast are great teaching boats:
- The higher speeds teach you to think ahead of the boat and to be aware of your surroundings.
- boats with asymmetrical hulls are hard to tack. Unless you manage your energy and learn to tack smoothly you will blow the tack. After tacking the H16 taking a keel boat is a walk in the park
- flying a hull gets you used to high heeling angles and gets you comfortable with holding the boat there. You learn how to maintain that angle through wind shifts and puffs.
- the best reason of all is they are just incredibly fun to sail. I miss my beach cat and cannot wait until my daughter is old enough to have one so I have a decent excuse to buy another one.
________
LindsayStrip4U

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-10-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
The Trac 16 is a solid and fun boat; I have sailed on a friend's about that age. I like it better than the Hobie 16s, for certain.

Though I love cats, I'm not sure it's a good boat for a 10 year old to learn on, though you would have fun together. IF she was 15 I would say go for it. I agree with other posters that the best boat for kids to learn on is one they can flip back up easily, and that is not a beach cat.

But buy it anyway!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 09-11-2010

fparry is on a distinguished road
At 59 I decided to take the plunge last year and finally learn to sail. I purchased a Hobie 16 for a little more money than you are talking about and went at it.

After a year of sailing the Hobie I purchased a 27' mono hull.

No regrets with the catamaran as far as a first boat learning platform.
A cat can be a lot of fun. They are easy to sail, fast, maneuverable, and on the whole not very expensive to either buy or operate.

Take a good look at what you are buying though. To buy a cat can be inexpensive. To replace critical items on a boat which are damaged or worn out can be very expensive.

First of all, I chose the Hobie because of their popularity which translates into large numbers of available boats and more importantly parts. Being the most popular boat of all time means there are literally thousands of them around.
What ever you buy make sure the hulls are sound and hard with no soft spots. Check the decks forward of the trampoline for soft spots. If the deck flexes there is internal damage and the boat should be passed on in my opinion. This type of damage can be repaired but not that easily.

Rigging, trampoline and sails should also be closely inspected as the replacement cost for any of these can easily run more than your initial investment.

Take a look at Beachcats.com which is a forum similar to this for catamarans. Like this forum you will find plenty of fellow enthusiasts willing to share.
Old 04-20-2011

hitman72 is on a distinguished road
trac 16 rigging

does anyone have any good pictures (diagram) of an AMF trac 16 mast rig. one including the gear for a two person hike-out set up
Old 04-20-2011

hitman72 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertwarrior View Post
I'll be buying a live aboard In the next 5 yrs after I finally retire. In the mean tme I'm looking for a small boat to teach my 10 yr old daughter how to sail and for me to have some fun and get back into sailing. I saw this boat posted on the lake pleasant marina web site.
1987 TRAC 16' CATAMARAN, TRAILER, $695
I have attached a picture
Here is their description from an email

"The boat is all their, not missing anything I know of, but it should be gone through. I would check all the lines and bungie cords carefully. I think the trampoline will need to be restitched soon, the fabric looks good but the stitching has seen a lot of Arizona sun. "

Any thing else to look for? for 695 it seems like it would be hard to go wrong. which is why I am posting this. Are these boats crap? Do they fall apart or are parts expensive. Any advice will be deeply appreciated.
Dana
the only thing i would look (feel) for is any soft spots in the fiberglass.