Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008
Steve Hinchman

SHinchman is on a distinguished road
Upgrading from CD-Typhoon to ???

I grew up a small boat lake sailor (sunfishes, catamarans, sea-scows) and now have the very good fortune to live along the coast of Maine. For the first few summers here I sailed a Precision-15cb in the New Meadows River (an inland portion of Casco Bay, mostly channel-bay sailing).

This year I upgraded to a Cape Dory Typhoon (18', full keeled, fractional rig, Alberg design) and have had many great sails both in protected waters and outside, sailing as far as Boothbay to the east and Chebeague Is. to the West. A few times I had the Ty out in strong winds when few others were sailing - but she handled 22-24 knot winds and 5-6' seas just fine with a reefed main and working jib.

I want to keep migrating upward, hoping to eventually own a coastal cruiser in the 24-36' range, and wanted this forum's advice on my choice of boat. My realistic goals and needs are:

1. Type of sailing: Hoping for 20 or so days of daysailing from a mooring each summer and 1-2 weeks of cruising along coast of Maine. Thus, I don't need or want a true bluewater boat, but someday hope to cross the Gulf of Maine to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.

2. Local Sailing Conditions: Is there such a thing as a cross-over boat, ie one that that can both point and move along fast enough to get out the 10 or so miles of usually upwind channel sailing to more open and fun water in a reasonable time and, at the same time, sail pretty stiff and safe in Maine's winds (10-30 knots) and seas (up to 7-8').

4. Crew: I tend to single-hand, or my 11 yr old daughters will come with. The girls and I really enjoy the Typhoon; we love being down close to the water and the quick response and feel of a small boat. On the other hand, to family overnight and to get my wife aboard I think we have to get above 24' .

5. Price: I could likely spend up to $25k. That may not sound like much, but Craigslist Maine constantly has a wide range of used boats in the $7-16k range, which would leave me room for improvements as necessary.

6. Choices: My plan is to seek opportunities to sail aboard many different boats, keeping track of what I like and not. Right now my list of favorite possible models to try out (keeping my price limit in mind) is pretty concentrated on the heavy, stiff boats you see so often up here and which are more affordable given their age, such as the Cape Dory 25D or the 30-cutter, Bristol Corsair 24 or the Bristol 29.9, the (East Coast) Triton, and the Alberg 29 (my fav but newer & more expensive).

I am tending to rule out the O-days, Paceships, MacGregors, C&C etc. because when they get old they seem to be really beat up.

So my question for this group are:

A) Pro's and Con's of the boats on my watch/try list, and

B) Boats I should add to the list. I am particularly ignorant regarding post-84 models (ie after-Alberg).

Finally, if anyone up here wants to show me their boat, I am eager to learn. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
SHinchman,

First off, congrats on the CD Typhoon, I restored a '85 Weedender and know it to be a very capable and safe daysailor with an excellent motion in most conditions. And beautiful to boot! I sailed her solo many times with no need of crew and that's a real plus when the mood strikes and rest of the family has "other" interests.

If yours is a Weekend model, you're good to go with the 20 or more daysails if you install a porta-potty and a curtain for the girls. The 1 to 2 week aventures could be done with a charter boat for that period eliminating the need for a larger boat just for the trip once a year. If it's the daysail model you're still good to go until you make up your mind on the bigger boat. I love these boats!

The boats you mentioned are good choices although the CD-25D sounds a bit tight for a 1-2 wk. cruise. They say 'sleeps 4', it's more like a max of three with the entire bow full of head. My favorite from your choices is the 29.9 Bristol, modified keel with skeg hung rudder....strong but still very single hand capable and enough room for your family. I'm sure others from your area will come up with other boat suggestions.

Good luck with your search but be warned....the longer you sail that Typhoon, the harder it's going be to let go of her! You just may end up a two boat owner!

Bob
Old 08-07-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you're up the New Meadows River. I was just there a few weeks ago. Beautiful place, but I see why you want something that points. Getting our Pearson 303 out of there was a lot of work - but well worth it.

I'm not sure how tall you are, but for me, standing headroom is very important in a boat if you plan on spending a couple of weeks on board. I know this isn't an actual boat suggestion, but it's food for thought.
Old 08-07-2008
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdavis View Post
...standing headroom is very important in a boat if you plan on spending a couple of weeks on board. I know this isn't an actual boat suggestion, but it's food for thought.
good point, dude!

standing headroom was a major criteria for me as well. nothing worse than not being able to stand up straight while hanging out below or waiting for the rain to end. not that it ever rains in maine

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Old 12-02-2008

redhairgal is on a distinguished road
Steve Hinchman I'm curoius to know what boat you decided to get. My husband and I sail from a mooring on the New Meadows River out to the Casco Bay and we're looking for a boat to do pretty much what you were looking for, but instead of children we have a 13 year old Golden Retriever. We presently have a Precision 21 that is too tender with a centerboard. We're interested in limited cruising (1-2 weeks) as well as lots of day sailing. Presently we're considering a Cape Dory 25D. We're wondering if it has enough room for us. We looked at a Dana 24 which is rather pricey but boy was it nice.
Redhairgal
Old 12-04-2008

radly53 is on a distinguished road
Steve my vote would be for the Bristol 29.9. She is easy to single hand, lots of room and storage down below, well built, modified keel with skeg hung rudder dose not snag lobster pots. She can very capable when the wind and waves pick up. We have hade our 29.9 for two years and we cruse for about 8 to 10 weeks a year very happily. We also sail on and off the mooring all the time. The only down side is the engine is a little small when your bucking the tide going up or down the river or with the weeks of light air in Maine. All and all the Bristol 29.9 is a great curser.

Check out The Practical Sailor's Evaluation of the Bristol 29.9

Stephen
Bristol 29.9
Sea Fever #49
Old 12-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHinchman View Post
Cape Dory 25D or the 30-cutter, Bristol Corsair 24 or the Bristol 29.9, the (East Coast) Triton, and the Alberg 29 (my fav but newer & more expensive).
I would recommend against the CD 25D, as it has no v-berth, and a boat's v-berth might make the most sense for where to have the girls sleep.

I'd also recommend that you look at the C&Cs and Tartans. The Tartan 27 is one of my favorite leadmines, as is the Alberg 30. The Tartan 27 is going to perform better IMHO, but both are excellent choices. Another two boats to look at are the Elizabethan 29, 30 or 31, and the Southern Cross 28. They're both solid boats and reasonably priced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.