Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2009

ChuckA is on a distinguished road
Roger Long is a marine architect, Harbormaster for Cape Elizabeth, ME and a writer for Point's East Magazine. He has written extensively about his 1980 Endeavor that he has been sailing for several years on his Strider web page. He took ownership in 2005, and although she was in good condition, he did extensive refitting. Roger raves about the boat's sailing ability and sailed three round trips between Portland Maine & Canada in 2009. Although I don't know him personally, I've read a bit about his personal and professional maritime experience, and I have utmost respect for his opinion.

While I was boat shopping recently I ran across a late '70s Endeavour 32 advertised for about $10K near Hingham, MA, but she had been sitting for a while and was rather neglected.

I passed her by, considering the following which Roger had written about Strider...
Quote:
I've been telling people for years that a thirty thousand dollar boat is a thirty thousand dollar boat even if you only pay fifteen for it.
I'm headed outdoors to enjoy the sunshine and unseasonably warm temp today. The snow and ice will be here too soon!

Best,
Chuck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @CoastalCafe_NE
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2009

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Good little boat, mostly a coastal cruiser but a friend did the Altantic west to east in one without problems.
Old 11-09-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by windship View Post
Wow Jeff! You still trashing Endeavours?

Old 11-09-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Not all of the Endeavours are well-built boats... just like not all of the Hunters are junk... Making broad generalizations is generally a bad idea...

Roger Long and his boat are very well known, and I respect Roger's opinion, and he has documented much of what he has done on Strider on his website. However, before going to survey, I'd really recommend reading and using the information in the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started.
timtim likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.