Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008

dellengwyn is on a distinguished road
Question Help Identifying a Sailboat?

Hi,

I'm planning to buy this boat tomorrow, and the owner says it is a 1966 Clark 14. However, this boat looks slightly different than the Clarks I've found online. The bow is open, it has teak trim all the way around, and there is a some kind of odd support thingy up near the bow of the boat.

That being said, the flip-down centerboard looks like a C-lark 14. I'm stumped.

Photos can be found on Flickr under the user name "dellengwyn." I would post a direct link, but I'm new to the forum and don't have enough posts yet.

Can anyone help me figure out what this boat really is?

Thanks,
John.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2008

timangiel is on a distinguished road
I don't know what kind of boat it is but perhaps I can at least help you out by posting the link for you. Is this the right link?
Flickr: dellengwyn's Photostream
Old 08-13-2008

Link to Mystery Sailboat

Thank you! Yes, that is the correct link.

This boat is a mystery, as far as I can tell.... I am concerned about the fact that the bow is completely open (i.e., no splash deck). I'm planning to use this for small lake sailing, so I'm not sure how much of an issue that would be.

Any opinions?

John.
Old 08-13-2008
Francophobe

TheFrog is on a distinguished road
Don't know anything about the Clark 14's but to me that looks like a pretty typical CB dinghy in that size range. Can't tell from the pictures but most boats like that have suction bailers on the sole, either near the centerboard or transom, to help get any water out that you ship over the bow or gunwhales.

There are many boats out there that lack a foredeck/cuddy/splash shield that are ideal for inland lake sailing and even do a good job in moderate waves. One good example is the Harpoon 5.2, it was offered in two variants, with or without the cuddy/foredeck cover. It has two suction bailers near the transom. The version I have sailed has the cuddy in place, when it takes water over the bow the sole of the boat still gets wet. Some comes back down the sides of the boat and some enters through the anchor locker (which drains into cockpit through a hole under the cuddy). The bailers take care of getting the water out quickly. It is interesting to note, I would actually prefer the boat without the cuddy as it makes it more difficult to go forward and lower the jib.

All said, not knowing the Clark 14 it looks like a decent boat for your intended use.

Quote:
Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other.
-Florence King

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's signature.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-13-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Having took lessons, a friend had one growing up, and a group sailed near my home on Lk Washington, I saw a bunch of them. The hull looks similar, decking not! BUT, who is to say someone down the road did not do a major redo of the deck etc. I'm not positive it is a C-lark, ie a fiberglass version of a I14, that was a bit heavy to sell etc as an I14. So made a 1D sailer called a C-Lark from what I understand is how it went!

marty
Old 08-14-2008

Sadly, a No-go

Thanks for all the replies!

I had a look at the boat, and it was in even rougher condition that it looked like in the photos, so I decided not to buy it. But I did find the boat interesting, and the rig was different that what I've seen before. So, a learning experience.

I'm currently looking at a Koralle Jr. (see my other post).

Again, thanks for the replies; I'm sure I'll find the right dinghy eventually!

John.
Old 09-10-2008

dirtysails is on a distinguished road
Additional details - What is it?

I bought this boat as a project. It is going to be quite a bit of work to get it going again, but it is cleaning up very nice. The wood is in great condition after a very light sanding. The hull has a couple minor repairs that need rework as they were not done very well. It has a coat paint that is peeling due to being in the sun, but that too can be fixed.
The boat has a data plate on the centerboard trim that says "Clark Boat Company, Kent Washington" which lines up with everything I have been able to find out about Clarks, but it does not look the same as a 14. The hull is the same or similar to the 14, but the deck, or lack of, is very different. Everything looks factory. I see no modifications. The head sail and Spin appear to be correct for the boat and have the sail number 805. The main sail is not original to the boat and has a Corando 15 sail marking. The registration says 1966 Clark 15? The boat measures 14' and I think they may have used 15 from the main sail identification, but it is not correct. I will try to post some better pictures as I make progress on the refurb.
It sure would be nice to know what model it is and anything anyone may know about the Clark lineage.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.