Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008
Daysailor wannabe cruiser

lans0012 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice

Thanks to all that have responded. I drove down to Sarasota for the first time and saw some of the crusing grounds in Sarasota bay and some spots on the Manatee river. I was thinking maybe I should get a C22 or similar sized cheap swing keel and keep in at anchor around St. Pete. That would allow me to get into this cheap, get my sea legs for a year, find out what I really need vs what I think I might want, save another 4k in dockage for a nicer boat next year.

Which leads me to another series of dumb questions: I've seen a couple areas around St. Petersburg, and also when I was in Sarasota today, where it looks like people just anchor their boats full time Someone must have some input on this. What kind of anchors are they using? Do they need to file something with the city? Do they get hassled? Do their boats drag and get trashed in storms? Will insurance cover you if you drag and trash your boat or someone elses if you are not on the boat? Can you drop some weight and put in a mooring?

i was reading on here that the Sarasota mooring field might put an end to that in Sarasota. That's about all I know so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2008

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Right now the City of Sarasota is still trying to get their "new" mooring field idea thru local opposition and legal hurdles. I would guess it wont be untill 2009 that things get ironed out if at all...they have a legal challenge right now is all I know and last time there was a newpaper article(about two weeks ago) it sounded like the opposition to fees for nightly mooring was going to be an obstacle that is gonna take a while to work out for the City.will update on this thread if I hear anything. Morgan
Old 08-18-2008

Tortuga12 is on a distinguished road
What about either a Com-Pac (Eclipse, 23, or 25), or a Precision 21 or 23? Man, I'd love to have any of those!!!! Especially the Eclipse....tasty.
Old 08-18-2008

JLBJR is on a distinguished road
Pick up a copy of Daniel Spurr's book, "Your First Sailboat" it around $15 and has a nice section of Pocket Cruisers.

JLBJR
Old 08-19-2008

dennismenace111 is on a distinguished road
Keep you eyes open for a Watkins 25 or 27....they generally sell cheap and are great Florida boats....shallow draft and sturdy enough to run aground and not hurt anything....theyre nice and roomy too! If you ve got a family on board you will appreciate that..

If you run across an Irwin 10/4 with rebuilt chain plates take a close look also....theyre big enough for a pool table down below and the cockpit can easily handle a hot tub.
Old 08-30-2008

seidelmann 25

OK Ok thanks to all that have responded lately. I looked at a Seidelmann 25 and after reading the reviews on here I looked at it very carefully. It was tippy but the owner has replaced the rudder and stock and the outboard is brand new. The cabin was barebones, but the topside and stripe was just painted. The boat looked great. My girlfriend, of course, did not like the standing head room or the lack of stability at the dock. The electronics were great, chainplates were great, standing rigging was shiney and new looking. The price was right and it was at the closest marina to my house that you can only get in by waiting 3 years or buy a boat at the marina. It was the shoal 3.5 ft draft. Someone give me some advice here please.
Old 09-03-2008

Bigmao is on a distinguished road
I'd go with the C-25 rather than the C-22. More room, not that much more weight, more stowage space, readily available parts, and relatively easy trailering. I currently own a C-22, and will upgrade within the year, probably to a Compac 27: the 22's just too small for two people and two golden retrievers! However, I'd skip the swing keel and go for a wing keel.
Old 09-10-2008

Red face Bought a Ranger 22

Thanks to all that replied to my questions earlier. I thought I'd revitalize the thread to let you know that I bought a Ranger 22. Yes a Ranger 22. Small cabin, 4.5 foot draft, and a snapped jib halyard stuck in the mast. Oh well it's all about compromises right? Time ran out as the local marina is changing their policy on OCT 1st to not allow slip transfers. There is a three year wait! This one came up and it was usable and cheap so I bought it. My goal is to get my sea legs for a while, hone in the skills, maybe do a race or two, then move up. I can have up to a 28' in the slip and now I have a slip 5 blocks from my house.
Old 09-10-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Good job, great starter boat, go forth and phosphor!, We need photos!

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 09-10-2008

pictures

Here she is. Rigging good except for the halyard that snapped much to the dismay of the former owner when he was showing me how to set up the furling. The furler was chaffing the line every time you take in or out the headsail. There is a rigger by the marina that I'll bring the boat to next week to get that done as well as a new topping lift. Chainplates are solid. Interior is very rough. The headliner is carpeted over the fiberglass and can be pulled down easily in spots leaving a nasty orange sticky mess. This must come out. not sure what to do after that though...paint, recarpet. Ideas???
Attached Thumbnails
Ideal SW Florida "pocket?" cruiser under 27'?????-ranger22.jpg   Ideal SW Florida "pocket?" cruiser under 27'?????-ranger22cockpit.jpg   Ideal SW Florida "pocket?" cruiser under 27'?????-ranger22interior.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.