Texas Surveyor/Cruising Dad - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-13-2008 Thread Starter

Texas Surveyor/Cruising Dad

My situation has changed since my last post, and so recently I've again been on the hunt for a boat, and just today came to a verbal agreement on a used Valiant 42, located at the Valiant factory on Lake Texoma in northern Texas. (I've been looking at the boat off-and-on for two years.)

Even though Lake Texoma is huge, I've been advised that I should try to find a very experienced surveyor in the Houston/Clear Lake area to come up and do the survey. (The boat has a lot of complex systems that are not typically found on the lake, according to the broker.) The broker says that there are several very competent surveyors nearby, but that I'd be better off with someone who works regularly with this type of boat.

Can anyone give me a recommendation? I think most of you are familiar with late model V42's, so I won't describe it here.

CRUISING DAD
From reading posts on this forum, I know that, at least at one time, you kept your boat at the Cedar Mills Marina which, as you know, is part of the Valiant Yachts complex. I also know that you are familiar with some of the people who work there. I'd be particularly interested in (and appreciate) your input.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely

Fritz
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-13-2008
not-so-old salt

Dallas area:
Dennis Gibbs
Gibbs Marine Surveys
972-437-9587

Great guy. Been around forever.

I've no vested interest in his business, just a happy customer.

Tony

----------------------------------------------------
"The God I believe in isn't short of cash, Mister." - Bono
post #3 of 10 Old 08-13-2008

Dennis Gibbs did my survey and I would highly recommend him.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-14-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Congrats Fritz! Who did you buy it from? Rick? Rich? Which one did you buy? I know the ones for sale.

I am still there. We will have to catch up when you come around there... you can meet mom and dad too (they are two slips down from me). We are on the dock that overlooks the facility. We may very well be a few steps from your boat - if you bought the one I am thinking of.

To answer your question on a surveyor:

I use and highly reccomend Bobby Brown, Blue Water Surveyors. He is very thorough and a sailor. He is also one of the preferntial surveyors for Nordhavn (which you may know is one of my favorite boats... world class stuff) where the systems really are complicated. I have sailed with Bobby off the coast of California and have known him personally for over 15 years. He was a liveaboard on his sailboat for many years. I would not let anyone else survey dad's boat - and it had many systems, including generator, watermaker, and other redundant/backup systems not often seen on a sailboat. He was spot-on.

PM me or call me. I have no problem helping you out too. Exciting stuff.

You can reach Bobby Brown at: 214-522-3505. I just called him and gave him your name. PM me and you and I can work out the details on geting together.

Brian/CruisingDad

Sailnet Moderator

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

post #5 of 10 Old 08-14-2008
Telstar 28

Fritz-

What ever you do, don't let CD talk you into adding a BBQ pit on the back of your boat...

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-15-2008 Thread Starter

Thanks For The Input

Thanks for the recommendations.

CRUSING DAD
I'll PM you today.

SAILDOG
In the spirit of being as tacky as possible, instead I'll fly a skull & bones flag up the spreader's courtesy flag halyard.

Thanks again to all of you.

Fritz
post #7 of 10 Old 08-15-2008

Congratulations! The V42s are great boats. I actually crewed on the first crossing of the first 42 built. It was a great trip and the boat performed flawlessly. Sorry, don't have any help on the surveyor, but I wanted to offer my congrats!

Steve
SV lagniappe
Beneteau 423 #310
post #8 of 10 Old 08-15-2008
I33

Good concientious surveyor

Mike Firestone is a bit far (Port Aransas, TX) but you would be getting a very professional, very thorough, very knowledgeable surveyor. I have used him twice, and he saved me thousands both times, so you might still come out 'way ahead even paying his travel to N. Texas. He is one of the minority of surveyors who still inspect the rigging all the way to the top of the mast.

I have no association with him except as a very satisfied customer.

Gil
s/v Truthsayer
post #9 of 10 Old 08-20-2008
Ignoring Trolls in 2009

One more for the list

Roy Newberry 281-470-7577
He's out of Clear Lake area, and like Firestone, also goes up the mast and inspects the rigging. In fact he and Firestone used to work together. The 6 hours I spent with him surveying my boat where the greatest learning experience I've had on boating so far.
Welcome back to the "joys" of boat ownership
Michael

S/V Anything Goes
1987 Pearson 31-2
Hull #15
post #10 of 10 Old 08-20-2008

I too would recommend Bobby Brown-- you will need to arrange a time as he bounces back and forth between Texas and Florida--Enjoy the Valiant--are you looking at the one with all the nice canvas?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.