Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008

dennismenace111 is on a distinguished road
Buying a Repo Boat

Has anyone had any experience in buying a repo boat from a bank? I recently put a bin in on a repo boat here in South Florida. Anything I should look out for.....any gotcha's ???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2008
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
You are probably buying the boat "as is, where is" with no warranties. This is a buyer beware situation, but you will probably get a good price if the boat is in decent shape. You may be able to get a survey contingincy on your offer, but don't count on it. Are you able to inspect the boat inside and out?
Old 08-18-2008

Yep...my offer is contingent on a survey...but I already know that the boat needs some bottom work..dings and gouges in the gel coat...other than that its stripped..not even a winch handle.. ..
Old 08-18-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
I bought a repo power boat many years ago. I got a very good deal, but it did come with some problems. The boat was only two years old and looked to be in great shape, but hadn't been maintained. Keep in mind that if they can't afford the payments, they won't be changing the oil, etc. I had to flush the oil on the boat and replace a bad lifter, but other than that it was much less expensive than buying a similar model from a dealer. If you are going to have the boat surveyed, make sure the surveyor knows engines and will give it a once over. In my experience, most surveyors will only give the engine a curosry look and then in the survey advise that it should be looked at by a competent mechanic.
Old 08-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the boat is stripped, even if the hull, deck and rig are in good condition, getting it back to useable shape may cost you more than buying the same make/model boat in decent shape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 08-18-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
If by stripped you mean hull and engine only (maybe a mast and rigging..?), I agree complete completely with SD. Buying new equipment for an older boat, sails, anchors, etc. etc. and even wicch handles is very likely to add up to more than you would pay for a similar used boat fully equipped - i.e. a striped boat is at best worth what any of the useable partss are worth as salvage...

Sorta goes like...the cheaper it is, the more it will end up costing you...
Old 08-19-2008

Stripped meaning that everything that would come from the factory is still on the boat...sails engine, rigging, anchor, galley, head emergency tiller...however...there's no VHF, no life jackets no fenders, no manuals, no running rigging, all of the upholstery is there, but even the winch handles are gone.
Old 08-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Dennis-

I hate to break it to you, but the boat would have come with winch handles at and running rigging. Considering how people often deal with a boat that is being repo'd... you might also have some other, less obvious problems. What did the PO do to the electrical system, plumbing and engine when they found it was being repo'd??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-19-2008
Junior Birdman

Iflyka200s is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Dennis-

I hate to break it to you, but the boat would have come with winch handles at and running rigging. Considering how people often deal with a boat that is being repo'd... you might also have some other, less obvious problems. What did the PO do to the electrical system, plumbing and engine when they found it was being repo'd??
Good point!
Old 08-20-2008

I tend to think that the Repo company stripped the equipment off the boat....My purchase is dependant on a survey...so...I ll get good idea as to what the PO sabotaged, if anything...or what has gone bad from neglect. Not overly concerned as I can always withdraw my bid should repairs get too expensive....Can anyone out the tell me what I should expect to pay to have the mast restepped, assuming all the standing rigging is serviceable...???