Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2002

DonFoley is on a distinguished road
consentration of boats for sale in Florida

I guess I should have mentioned that while I never did find that perfect ''retiree'' boat, I did go on to buy other boats, and now sail a benecatahunter that I''m pleased as punch with.

Punta Gorda. One of my sisters lives there, and I''ve poked around the market quite a bit a few years back. For some reason there was a spate of shoal draft hunters all over the place. There was no shortage of sailboats for sale in the area when I was looking, but again, they were all green. I did come across an S2 center cockpit for $17,000 that could have been a good buy.

Anyway...the great things about sailboats is that they''re highly mobile. Even if you don''t want to sail it through the lake, or around the glades, you can ship a mid-30 foot boat across the state for far less than a grand. True, you''ll have commisioning costs, but on the other hand it''s a good time to replace the rigging and all the mast/spreader lights, clean up any instruments and give it a good once-over. Some of those older boats never had their rigging replaced, and it showed.

I''ve heard Charlotte Harbor is shallow, and it''s got a low bridge, so make sure you keep that in mind. I can''t remember the height, and my chart for the area is on the boat, but I do remember that I couldn''t make it through with a 50'' mast (someone feel free to correct me if I''m wrong on this, it''s been a while).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2002

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road

Don,

Whenever I do an internet search for boats, I''m amazed how often I find one for sale in Punta Gorda. If such a purchase were right for me, it would be a matter of moving it from one canal home to another - how convenient.

We still have a lot of decision making to do yet, but right now we''re thinking that any boat we buy will not likely fit under that bridge. Any property we''ve investigated has been seaward of the bridge.

You say Charlotte Harbor is shallow, but from the charts, it''s some of the deepest water inside the barrier islands that you can find - of course, that''s all relative. Once you get down below Captiva and around Pine Island, that''s where you better know your depths!

Thanks for your insight.

Duane
Old 07-25-2002

Manateee Gene is on a distinguished road

My suggestion for you is to find a home along a canal where you want to live!!As long as the draft of the boat you want is shallow enough to park it in front of your house you have no real problem. Any of the
boats with a mast through the deck that Do
Not have roller furling are perfectly capable of having a tabetnacle. We have one
it takes 15 minutes to have the mast down.
once I''ve set the system up it takes 30 seconds to raise or lower the mast singlehanded! Do not let a bridge stop you!
Old 07-25-2002

DonFoley is on a distinguished road

I guess I should say that I was under the impression that the harbor was shallow. But upon reflection, this came from my ex-brother in law who powerboated on the northern portion and was bit of a wank anyway.

When I used to poke around in that area looking for boats I hooked up with a local broker who showed me many boats that weren''t listed on the web. If I remember correctly I got his number from a boat I found at Trader Online. At the time there seemed to be only two used sailboat brokers.

Now thinking back on it REAL hard, most of the boats I looked at were in Port Charlotte, just to the north of Punta Gorda, and were on the network of canals on the sea side of the bridge.
Old 07-26-2002

gfb is on a distinguished road

Paul, Take a look at "blue water boats" a few lines below your post and check out the Carpe Diem posts, you may be interested. Have fun. Gerard
Old 10-20-2002

damnshow is on a distinguished road

Check this out for some laughs
http://www.damnshow.com