Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2000

patg is on a distinguished road
improvements vs.

looking for advice: I''ve been sailing for 5 years. I bought a 20'' trailersailer (1977 RK)3 1/2 yrs ago and have been sailing Boston Harbor the past three summers. I''d like to add roller furling to the jib and buy a new outboard (I''ve been using a British Seagull). I''d also like to move up (25-26'') in the next couple of years (I''m not sure I''m quite ready). . . is it wise to invest money (~2000K) in my present boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2000

hamiam is on a distinguished road
improvements vs.

It has been my experience that you make improvements to a boat for your own enjoyment and safety as opposed to making them for purely "investment" purposes. If you are considering moving up within a short period of time, I would suggest that you save your money and use it toward the new, bigger boat.
Old 12-27-2000

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
improvements vs.

I think your decision would be best based on the "market" for your boat. I would suggest looking at listings for boats similar to yours and seeing if they have new engines and/or roller furling in the price range you are thinking of selling yours in. If most boats do, then your boat faces that competition when you go to sell it. If you would get more enjoyment out of the upgrades, go for it.

If most boats like yours do not have roller furling or new engines, forget it.

The basic rule is that you will never recoup your investment. Upgrades help you sail your boat and sell it.

Hope this helps, best of luck in Beantown, a very cool place.
Old 12-27-2000

improvements vs.

hamiam,
thanks for the response. . . I use the word "investment" one-sidedly - putting money into the boat. . . if I won''t be moving up for at least two years, the improvements would enhance sailing. . . that''s what you''re saying, right?
again thank you
Old 12-27-2000

improvements vs.

JohnDrake,
thanks for responding. . . at this point I hadn''t even thought of selling my present boat. . . it''s old, unknown, in a market where proven boats in the 19-22'' range(O''Day, Catalina, Rhodes) are easy to come by. . . I believe the upgrades I''m considering would definitely enhance sailing, and as I still have things to learn with this boat, I''m thinking they make sense
Old 12-28-2000

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
improvements vs.

Hi there

I personally think there is a lot to be said for enhancing the pleasure of sailing by whatever upgrades are relatively inexpensive. We don''t sail to save money :O))). Both roller furling and the new outboard will enhance your sailing pleasure and increase your safety. When a gust comes up, roller furling will help you quickly reduce the amount of canvas and a good outboard will get you back to the dock faster and more reliably when those Beantown storms roll in.

If you have the space in a garage or someplace, you can always save the old outboard and take the new one with you to your next boat. You might be able to find a shop that will give you something for the old engine.

At any rate, you already have what is likely the most cost effective boat out there. If you can afford the upgrades ... be happy. You cannot put a price on the happiness you get from sailing and being on the water.

Next stop, try Narragansett Bay. Great sailing there, be careful not to be overcanvased.

Best of luck.
Old 01-01-2001

SeamanBeaumont is on a distinguished road
improvements vs.

Can anybody tell me anything about the Coronado 23? If anything they seem to be overbuilt. I have an opportunity to buy a 1973 in great shape except for the companionway hatch and lazarettes. They are made of wood and in bad shape. Can new ones be bought? How difficult would it be to build replacements? Opinions of the boat!

Thanks!