Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006

jmayer is on a distinguished road
c400 owner

I traded my 1979 c30 (+some cash) for a 2000 c400 last spring. My family of 5 spent every weekend on the boat, plus one longer vacation. The boat handles great in heavy seas/winds, its easy to sail. The equipment/hardware is all easy to use and hasn't been a problem. The duel helm works out great, especially when we are backed into a dock. It seems to be at least as fast as the boats of equal length around me even though I'm a lousy sailtrimmer. In terms of quality, just stomp around the cockpit and try pushing some fiberglass around, then go do that on a Hunter or Beneteau, you'll see the difference instantly. I got a lot of comments last year about this as soon as other sailors came aboard, it just feels like it's solidly built...time will tell. There are two items that I read about in reviews that I agree with: 1. Engine noise down below-Not horrible but definately louder than average 2. The heads stink-mine are fine until the tank is 3/4 full, then it is really noticable...I have heard people have solved this by replacing hoses, I will probably look at that this year. Two other little things, if you are a klutz you have to wear a helmet to bed in the aft cabin, and if you are heeled over too far you lose the prime on the aft a/c unit. The a/c problem turns out to be really easy, as all you have to do is open a stopcock below the cabin floor for a second, but my wife keeps hitting her head while getting into and out of bed and I haven't figured a solution to that yet. Good luck with your new boat, let me know if you have any problems.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Install a padded ceiling liner... or get a shorter wife
Old 05-02-2006

chuck711 is on a distinguished road
I've met many Beneteau's while out cruising. They have a huge share of design and warranty problems. You might be better off buying a slighty
used boat that has been debugged.........
Old 05-04-2006

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Catalina Equipment

I don't own a Catalina 40 but I do have a Catalina 350. I should have posted this earlier in the thread, but I observe the boats on the dock where my slip is and I have to say that Catalina equips its boats very well. I had a Jeanneau 35 next to my boat and now have a Beneteau 331 next to me and two 2005 Hunter 36s (part of the local Sailtime franchise) a few slips down. My boat has bigger Harken genoa winches than any of these boats and has a very robust Garhauer traveler, larger and sturdier than any of these boats. Catalina uses large open Garhauer blocks; the others have smaller blocks and/or blocks made partially of plastic. The size of the running rigging is also larger than these other boats. All of this equipment is standard.

I am not knocking these other boats; I'm merely reporting what I can see with my own eyes and Catalina is doing a great job on the equipment that counts.