Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Winter Storage!?!

Some of you know that I have been looking at boats in the 34-38 foot range for some time. One aspect of boat ownership that has concerned me is the cost of keeping any boat somewhere. I live about 40 miles inland, and the topography (big hill) of my current home precludes me from storing a boat of this size on the property. I had hoped to keep my boat somewhere between Boston, MA, and Providence, RI.

Last year I sailed a charter to one a marina nearby with a good reputation. They must have entered me in their database because yesterday I recieved a package of information about winter storage. I was suprised at the costs of simply keeping the boat, never mind buying or equiping one.

Here is how they broke down for a 37 footer:
  • $150 - Bottom Wash $3.5 per foot * 30' LWL (manditory)
  • $787 - Shrink Wrap
  • $910 - Un-step/re-step (reccommended)
  • $200 - Roller furling storage (necessary if mast unsteped)
  • $300 - Mast storage (necessary if mast unsteped)
  • $2527 - Storage of the boat (outside - with un-stepped mast)
  • $4829 - Grand total
- OR -
  • $150 - Bottom Wash $3.5 per foot * 30' LWL (manditory)
  • $787 - Shrink Wrap
  • $2757 - Storage (outside with mast up)
  • $3694 - Grand total

I had asked a similar marina about the cost of a slip for the summer, and as I recall, it would be $4700 for the season. That means $8394-$9529 per year to simply keep the boat.

I have looked into yacht clubs, and understand that they all have looong waiting lists, and many do not offer winter storage here in the northeast.

I would like to know if any of you have ideas on how to make this less painful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 08-28-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
Robbery

My 33' foot boat will coat <$2000 grand for the winter including haul/launch, store, and wash. And that is in Marblehead, MA. I make my own cover, but Shrink Wrap is like $500 for my boat.

If want to look at areas around the S. Shore/Buzzards near South Dartmouth area, you should be able to find a few spots WAY less than that. Look at the Mattapoisett area too. I can't remeber the boatyard, but they have a huge outside yard. Can't be more than $2000 for a winter storage.

DrB
------------------------------------
EDITED:

Fairhaven Boatyard Fairhaven Shipyard & Marina - Fairhaven, MA - Storage

Last edited by DrB; 08-28-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-28-2008

iwm is on a distinguished road
that quote is pretty high. i paid about $1400 last year for 35' including haul, pressure wash, storage and launch, mast up, had my own cover. narragansett bay yard

Van
Old 08-28-2008

Bump is on a distinguished road
Winter Storage

Kind of high. AT Shaws Boat Yard in Dighten MA on the Taunton River I paid less than $1300.00 for haul, wash, store and launch. That also included shrink wrap for a 28' boat. Left the mast up but that would have added $3.50 a foot to take it down and anopther $3.50 in the Spring to put it back up. so mabey add in another 250-300 for the mast. I also lease a spot for my mooring in New Bedford Harbor costs me $100.00 a year for the lease and another $100.00 for the mooring service to put in the winter stick and get it ready in the Spring. Every three years it has to be inspected, $300.00, and repaired if necessary. So summer mooring and winter storage cost me less than $2000.00 a year.
Old 08-28-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Right off the top, lose the shrink wrap.

After you've hauled and secured, wax the hull, that's all the protection (from UV) it should need all winter. Cover or tarp the deck as you please, many boats don't but you can do that yourself, with re-useable materials.

Save $800 if there's sales tax on that $787.

Can you store your mast and furler on deck in a cradle? If the yard doesn't stop you, that's perfectly acceptable, save even more. The stepping fee seems a bit steep--unless they're also doing all the rigging with it. Many yards/owners arrange so the yard just pulls the stick, the owner does the rigging and doesn't get charged the labor for it. And many owners don't pull the stick every winter, but that's a whole other debate.
Old 08-28-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I pay 2350 a year for my privately ownedslip, winter on the hard is extra as they have no 'yard'. Currently it's 500 for haul, wash, and blocking and 230 a month for storage at Ferry Point Marina on the Magothy River, about 5 miles from my home.

That's for a 33.5 foot catamaran.
Old 08-28-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Cool Real Economy!

Save big!! Move to a warmer climate where you don't store your boat in winter! Use your boat all year! (Georgia, Florida, South Texas) ----Wish I could take my own advice!

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Question Low cost, lousy sailing!

Well, river sailing may not be the best there is, but it's what we have. However, it is economical! I pay $1200 per year for my slip. (No, not a condo!) That includes water and electricity at my dock and use of the pump-out. In winter I put a de-icer under the hull, and pay an extra 50 bucks for the electricity. Since we don't have barnacles, I have the boat pulled every 3-4 years for bottom paint. $40 per foot includes haulout, pressure wash, two coats of bottom paint, labor and relaunch! If I do it every four years that averages 370 per year, plus slip fee, total under $1700. I just wish the sailing were better! Next year I retire and spend summers in the Great Lakes and winter on Kentucky Lake. Should increase the season to 9-10 months and 7 days a week! Slip fees may only double, because I will spend most nights on the hook.

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
Old 08-28-2008

Seafire327 is on a distinguished road
I agree with the guys above, I was quoted at <1300 for the winter with haul-out, wash, stands, etc... Small place in Weymouth... The yards seem pretty willing to negotiate a little I've found in my limited experience Definately look around...
Old 08-28-2008
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
All,

Thank you for the detailed replies. Believe me - I will check out other options.

RE: Ragtimedon - I would love to cash in the whole damn house and yard and move to a boat full time. Head south for the winter, and back north in the summer. I call this JBS (Jimmy Buffett Syndrome) . The kids in college and the admiral don't see it that way though

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.