Old 11-11-2009

Bear46 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info.

Bear 46
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2009

lgasco is on a distinguished road
Wellington Sailboats

I lived on a 47' Wellington for 3 years. Cutter rigged, with a semi pilot house, a 150 Hp Ford Lehman engine. They are superbly crafted, very heavy (30 tonnes) and perfect for living aboard.
Old 11-29-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecilpse View Post
I knew Bill Wellington of Jacksonville, FL. He was about 65 in 1990. He built and designed motor sailers on the north west side of Jacksonville, FL. As I know most of his boats were built upon order. He worked on 1 to 2 boats at a time. He and his wife had a boat at Continental Yacht Club, Orange Park, FL (just south of Jacksonville). He designed and built boats for fairly wealthly clients in Eastern US. The boat I am familiar with was black 61 to 63 feet long and had a full time year around crew aboard. The original design I believe was from an old full keeled wood boat he owned. He had two employees who did most of the work, unfortunately I do not know their names.
I also knew Bill (Duke) Wellington when he had his boat at Club Continental. Joe Aboud had the 44' Wellington there called "Carolyn" and I was living on my boat there too. It seems I probably know you too! The Wellingtons were built on Normandy Blvd. I always admired them as well built cruising "trucks",- my kind of vessel. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 12-05-2009

Rasy2k is on a distinguished road
Wellington 44

I've been looking at the Wellingon 44 as a possible next yacht. I've found a Cutter and a Ketch rig I'm considering. Haven't found any design or review info on the ketch and wondering if you, as long owners could provide any insight to help me in my decision making.
Old 06-10-2010

Nausica is on a distinguished road
Wellinton

the wellington 44 have serios problem on preassure post,I belive all the wellingtons have the same problem,other than that seems to be a good boat
Old 07-01-2010

Nausica is on a distinguished road
Be aware of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausica View Post
the wellington 44 have serios problem on preassure post,I belive all the wellingtons have the same problem,other than that seems to be a good boat
used 4x4 wood no a good choice 3 of the wellingtons dismast on the way and the 57 too it happen to Mr. Well .
Old 11-30-2010

kushdiam is on a distinguished road
well not all wellingtons were made with wood as a mast step, the Wellington 60 in Portland Oregon mast is stepped by a piece of angle iron, supported by a bulkhead and water tight door, but this only seems like great construction, in reality it was placed in the middle of the electrical panels, the main electical surround it on 3 sides, and even with the slightest of leakage through the mast boot, it has corroded the wiring and breakers. It this was ever to have a dis-masting, it would prove to be catastrophic. First you would lose your sails and then in the best case scenario, all power, it the worst you would be fighting a fire at the same time as trying to cut free the mast. I looked at moving the electrical panels, wow what a job it would be, all the wires are RED and ONLY RED! I guess red wire was on sale.....
Old 03-10-2013

3quartertime is on a distinguished road
Re: information on Wellington Sailboat

Old, old thread, but I found it and thought I'd add a bit to bump it.

I worked for Bill Wellington in the late eighties. Absolutely NOT an expert on Wellington's. I worked in the shop for a couple of years as a helper. I did get to see the construction techniques of two 57's as we built them. Knew the guys pretty well that built most of his boats over the years.

If anyone has any questions about Wellington's or the shop I'd be happy to help if I could. Also I've long lost touch with everyone from those days. If anyone knows of another former employee I'd be interested in learning of that too!
The Following User Says Thank You to 3quartertime For This Useful Post:
cardude (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014

cardude is on a distinguished road

We found an interesting Wellington 57 Motorsailer for sale with a flybridge, which looks a little strange but my wife really likes for the outdoor space. Do you know anything about this boat? Are they well constructed? Are the decks cored with wood?

I'm really interested in the sail only for get home purposes or for steadying the roll in seas as I imagine this boat is pretty rolly underway and looks a bit top heavy.

Any info on this boat would be appreciated....
Old 04-13-2014

3quartertime is on a distinguished road

Hi Cardude,

The two boats I got to help with were 57 motorsailers. They both had the traditional pilot house, but no fly bridge.

I don't know about that specific boat, but in my opinion there were well built. I believe the decks were balsa core. One of the builders, also named Bill, did all of the glass work. He was very good. The Wellingtons were 100% hand built in that shop in Jacksonville. Wellington was on sight every day. I'd really like to see one again!