SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   information on Wellington Sailboat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/46530-information-wellington-sailboat.html)

insearchof 08-29-2008 01:20 AM

information on Wellington Sailboat

Hello,
We have been living on land for 6 months now, and are getting very landsick! We sailed our Passport 42 to Australia with our 7 year old from San Francisco, sold our boat there and came back to the US to rebuild the cruising kitty. Well, we are looking at boats again (truth is we've been looking since we got back to the US!). We are looking at a Wellington 47 foot sailboat. We cannot find any information on this boat and wonder if anyone out there has any good/bad things to say about this boat. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
:confused:

CalebD 08-29-2008 04:27 PM

Nothing good, bad or indifferent to say about Wellington sailboats.
Found this one listed several places out on the tangled web.
1991 Wellington Centerboard cutter for sale in Fernandina Beach, FL: Motorsailer - SailboatTraderOnline.com

svfriscorose 09-02-2008 04:49 PM

information on Wellington Sailboat

I looked at a wellington 47 once a few years back. They were made in Jacksonville florida I believe and internal fit and finish varied a bit from boat to boat. Flat decks and a swing keel. Fuel tanks were cast in fiberglass 2- 200 gallons plus a few hundred gallons of water. The one I looked at was interesting, but ALL the systems were shot and the boat had compresson post issues on both masts. The hull is solid fiberglass and fairly sturdy though. But I still think about that boat sometimes.

Best of Luck in your hunt.

Beni
SV Frisco Rose
Islander 34

williewhiskers 09-12-2008 09:32 PM

wellington reply

Quote:

Originally Posted by insearchof (Post 360205)
Hello,
We have been living on land for 6 months now, and are getting very landsick! We sailed our Passport 42 to Australia with our 7 year old from San Francisco, sold our boat there and came back to the US to rebuild the cruising kitty. Well, we are looking at boats again (truth is we've been looking since we got back to the US!). We are looking at a Wellington 47 foot sailboat. We cannot find any information on this boat and wonder if anyone out there has any good/bad things to say about this boat. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
:confused:

we've been living on//sailing locally our 44 wellington for 7 years. When searching & then deciding on a welly, we boarded 5 or 6. Bill Wellington built the hulls in Jacksonville, FL ours is #5. Each interior/design is custom. We were choosy and have been rewarded greatly. Acquaintances have a 47 ketch and are happy , ours is a cutter. Only drawback 65' mast local bridge requiring dead low for passage to Atlantic. Keel/centerboard makes for great island hopping with great offshore capabilities. If you desire long details - happy to provide. Stress- we love ours!!!!!

Nausica 11-08-2008 01:14 AM

the wellington 44 and 47 ,have same riguing,so 44 is exelent sail boat ,from every angle ,the 47 is a motorsailer,slow compering to the 44,exelent liveabord

Nausica 11-08-2008 01:15 AM

Looking for a 44 Wellington cuter.
Thanks
Ed

Moots 11-14-2008 09:35 AM

Wellington 47 in Jax

I am going to look at the Wellington in Ferd Bch at Thanksgiving. I will let you folks know what I think about this one in particular. I would appreciate any other info from current and past owners as to the reliability of this class of vessel. thx Moots in sunny Key West

pandie 12-23-2008 05:54 PM

Wellington 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moots (Post 401909)
I am going to look at the Wellington in Ferd Bch at Thanksgiving. I will let you folks know what I think about this one in particular. I would appreciate any other info from current and past owners as to the reliability of this class of vessel. thx Moots in sunny Key West

===

Good Afternoon,,, and Happy Holidays,

Question on Wellington 47 @ Fernandina Beach / Jacksonville. Did you see it??
Obviously you did not buy,, since it is still for sale.

We are on market for a cruiser to live on,,,
We are considering to take a trip from Illinois to Florida to see it, and you just may save us a trip (potentially).

Any comments on your findings?
We would like to hear good and bad,,,

Thank You in advance for any assistance that you may provide!!

Happy Holidays!!!!

Pandie // Ahti J.

Bear46 01-11-2009 06:10 PM

Wellingtons

I am looking to move up from my Morgan 36 to a 45-50 foot boat to cruise the Islands. We will island hop and do not plan on long distance blue water work. What do people think of Wellingtons for this kind of use. I am a New England cruiser and don't know anything about them except what I have read on this thread.

Thanks.

Bear 46

ecilpse 11-10-2009 08:25 PM

Wellington 47

I knew Bill Wellington of Jacksonville, FL. He was about 65 in 1990. He built and designed motor sailers on the north west side of Jacksonville, FL. As I know most of his boats were built upon order. He worked on 1 to 2 boats at a time. He and his wife had a boat at Continental Yacht Club, Orange Park, FL (just south of Jacksonville). He designed and built boats for fairly wealthly clients in Eastern US. The boat I am familiar with was black 61 to 63 feet long and had a full time year around crew aboard. The original design I believe was from an old full keeled wood boat he owned. He had two employees who did most of the work, unfortunately I do not know their names.