Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Finally!

Finally!
I had held a tiller in my hands at 7, then not again until 30-something. I ‘rediscovered’ sailing and (being an anal-retentive technical type) bought books, took classes, took more classes, chartered, and moved from CT to MO. Wait, what?!?! What was that last part? Yeah, moved from sailing heaven (debatable) to sailing hell (not debatable).
But wait! There’s actually sailing in central MO! Yes, I know! Who’d a thunk it? There’s a (very) casual (in organization only, the competition is NOT casual!) sailing club with a race schedule and everything! Woot! The Rev and Kilowatt go sailing! Racing even! Learned more in our first race, than… wait, already did that thread, was 'so-so' as threads go.
So the club takes the summer off to let the powerboats convert money into noise without our interference. Not a problem, the Rev got a transfer/’promotion’ at work so he’s too busy to post on sailnet, much less worry about racing sailboats.
Here we actually start our story (you poor fools who read this far): A co-worker had picked up a ‘free’ sailboat on the local internet classifieds. He had (kindly) offered to let me have first crack at it, but I had only an old, small pick-up that couldn’t hit 65mph if I had a passenger. Plus, I’ve read enough (see above) to be convinced that there is no boat so expensive as a ‘free’ one (though Charlie C. will probably get every dollar back that he spends on ‘Oh Joy’, the exception to the rule, I suppose). I listened to his stories of sailing on our local 100-acre lake (no heffalumps, just lots of submerged trees), will a bit of envy, really, just a small, little, miniscule, iota!!!! The jerk! ARRGH!
Fast forward a few weeks, I actually now own a vehicle capable of towing something heavier than me. The same co-worker comes in one Monday and says that there’s another sailboat listed. Said co-worker becomes (to be honest) a pest. His mission, it seems, is to make sure I buy this boat “with the colorful sail” (from the ad). Further research proves it to be a laser, circa 1983, with trailer for $750. Well, calls are made, Kilowatt and the Rev go look, but their minds were already made up (well MINE was, that’s for sure). The hull was in nice shape, with very slight dimples from the rollers on the trailer. A bargain that just needed to be used; it had been sitting unloved for years. Two new tires for the trailer, replace the wiring plug, and good to go! (Which is good, because the purse-strings are tied VERY tight now!)
Today it got splashed for the first time in perhaps twenty years! On that same 100-acre lake, there was a good bit of ‘messing about in boats’. More later, this has already gone on much too long…

Be good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2008
High Desert Guy

Ziaduck is on a distinguished road
WOOHOO! Congrats to ya!
Old 08-31-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Way to go Rev..welcom back ..My story is about the same..30+ year laps..
Old 08-31-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendMike View Post
Finally!
Today it got splashed for the first time in perhaps twenty years! On that same 100-acre lake, there was a good bit of ‘messing about in boats’. More later, this has already gone on much too long…

Be good.

Can I get an 'AMEN' brothers and sisters...!?!!!!!

The prodigal son has returned home...!!!

(Geesh..he's even a Reverend...that's gotta be worth something...)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
Old 08-31-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hey Hey...welcome back and congrats! Looking forward to the tall tales about the 10 knot current opposing a 15 ft. tide in a 40 knot gale with 12ft. seas on the lake!
Old 08-31-2008
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Thanks you all, but geez Cam! Did you have to give it away! Actually the winds were light (which was good), and fluky (which is normal). Kilowatt only dumped it once, and she wisely waited until the camera ran out of film (yes, film camera, it has a better telephoto...) so I can't prove it. I'd start a thread about it all, but there wasn't that much to it, just a good afternoon on the water.

The boat doesn't really need anything except to reattach the hiking strap correctly, but I'm sure I'll break something...

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 08-31-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Cool story Rev. I'm pretty much in the same boat (as it were) as you are. I learned to sail a long time (25+ years) ago on a little lake in California. Since then I've gotten married and my Wife and I now live in North Carolina on the banks of Lake Norman. I own a power boat but haven't had a tiller in my hands in at least a decade or so. Well now I got the bug again and I'm getting ready to restore my old sabot that I've been dragging along with me and might even get adventurous enough to build me a small knock around sloop so I can teach my wife to sail.
Old 08-31-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Ah Rev, the season is young. I see sailing taking place right up to Thanksgiving. (the voice of one who just got his boat in the water three weeks ago!) Congratulations to you and Kilowatt! Bring the photos to Chicago in January.
Old 08-31-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Good show old chap!

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 08-31-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Congrats Rev,

So now your next step is to move back to the east coast and do some real sailing.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.