Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2002

mogul11 is on a distinguished road
Price fixing on new boats

Let me chime in a again about the price fixing statements I made earlier. A. it is price fixing when Catalina encourages dealers NOT TO SELL INTO OTHER AREAS. This was a common theme when I talked to dealers out of my area. B. Unlike car dealers that are obligated to service a brand no matter where or when it was purchased, I find boat dealers are not as eager to do the same. True I have a warrantee but getting satisfaction may be difficult.

I have no problem with a dealer making a business decision as to how to operate his business. As someone said that is his right, just don''t force me or as a manufacturer discourage free commerce by telling your dealers not to sell into an area.

After extensive reaserch I believe I have a fair idea as to the discount structure from Catalina and I am dissappointed my dealer will not work on what I call a fair margin (subjective as it is). Keep in mind this was a clean deal not floor plan, paod for within 48 hours of off load from truck. But with this said his loss.

As for the Catalina banter above, my feeling is that you get what you pay for. I have no plans on going offshore and for my wife and I it is basically a floating cottage. With this said any of the big three work, you pick Hunter or Beneteau.

As for the resale banter I take exception to all this you get more money back on a catalina. BS!!!! hell you paid more for it!! Of the big three Catalina is by far the most expensive!! I would hope you get more. Get on buc professional and do the research the sell price is more but so was the cost. A hunter for instance got less for a comparable size but the percentage against new was almost the same + or -. I found that this was the story my dealer used to justify 15K more for a Catalina. Look at the advertising campaign Catalina is using and you see where this comes from. I just priced a comparable boat with the exact same options, Windlass, Oven, Shades, Refig etc. and all the other goodies Catalina offers as standard. Surprise surprise it was still a lot of money less. These are all mass produced boats and are flying off the line, Don''t tell me one is made that much better than the others.

With all this said, I would still like to buy one, but that won''t happen as I see it. I''ll buy something else. THERE LOSS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2002

tsenator is on a distinguished road

Mogul,

I agree, their loss. And I would do as I said before, make a statement with your checkbook, but before you do I would let Sharon Day, Frank Butler and Gerry Douglas (Just call the Catalina factory number and leave a message for them) know exactly what happened to you and why they are losing your business. Who knows....at least you will be heard.

Thats too bad that is happening to you, some dealers are so much better than others and I suspect it has a lot to do with where you are located. I know some people that got (relatively) great deals , but I suspect most were at boat shows where they know the other manufacturers are working just as hard to get your business........Its too bad also, because just as you said ...

"With all this said, I would still like to buy one"

Old 07-31-2002

mogul11 is on a distinguished road

Tsenator

Is there an email address I can send them my copy. I would be amazed if they (Catalina) would circumvent their dealers. IN addition it would surprise me if catalina would sweeten the pot as they say.

As a point of reference their is a new 2001 still on the market on the east that the dealer is having a hard time selling becasue it is only a $1000 less than an ordered 2003. You would think Catalina would recongnize this and discount it to the dealer to move it, vs letting it get older and older. I am told they won''t do this.
Old 07-31-2002

tsenator is on a distinguished road

Mogul,

I would think that calling and leaving a message would be more constructive and especially with email these days, sometimes people get way too many and it takes forever for them to get around to it, plus they can hear the tone of your voice. I don''t have their email with me, but I''ll look and reply to you directly when/if I find it. I know the phone number for Catalina is (818)884-7700 • FAX (818)884-3810 . Maybe you call leave a message and then reference the email for detail.

You never know, Catalina factory can sweeten the pot by supplying some extra''s to the dealer gratis. Things like a full Canvas package is worth several thousand dollars (and Catalina''s canvas workmanship is excellent, far above some other things). etc. etc.

As far as the year old boat on a dealers lot. I am not sure , but I think its the dealers at that point and its up to their desire to move it, not Catalina. The problem is that very little has changed between the 2 boats over a year model.

If you are REALLY interested in this (or any other boat). I would strongly suggest going to your closest boat show and working the deal there, I have heard of decent deals then (and possibly you will get a different dealer). Newport Boat show is Sept and Annapolis is October. I would also talk directly to Gerry, Frank or Sharon and express your displeasure in person and make sure they watch you walk over to competing boat manufacturer with your checkbook in hand.
Old 08-15-2002

halyardz is on a distinguished road

Guys, I appreciate the dialog butif you really want a Catalina 36 fine. IMHO the used boat market holds better treasures for a similar dollar figure. Older Tartans, Pearsons, and the like. From what I recall from conversations with people that know Frank, his boats are designed with female appeal in mind (a strong force in the purchase equation) as well as price/value.

Overall, I''m not happy with what I see/hear about the new boat market and "marketing." It''s not the "gentlemanly" business it once was.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.