Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008

FritzN is on a distinguished road
Reasonable Prices?

I 'm buying a used Valiant 42, and have received (among others) the following quotes on upgrades. These seem high to me. Does anyone know if they are? Or, can you refer me to a competent company located in North Carolina that can give me a competitive quote?

1) Supply Lewmar 46CEST electric winch and install on port cabin top (under dodger) with double stopper and double organizer (for main halyard).

$6,695

2) Supply & install E-80 Raymarine, two displays. One display at helm. One display at pedestal on offset guard. 4kW Ra-dome on mast and Raystar GPS sensor on arch.

$16,474

I've called the yard in NC that will decommission the boat, but it can't give me a quote this week because they're preparing for the hurricane that's coming.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Fritz,

It's hard to say without seeing a breakdown between the parts and labor. But, off the cuff, the winch job sounds high (but I have no idea what that winch costs) and the radar job sounds like it's in the ballpark.

Labor is the 800 pound gorilla on all these jobs. How about $26K to sand and varnish the teak on a 27-footer?

Cost to do a proper varnish job

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-03-2008
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
You can usually count on the labour to equal the same amount as the product, but not more in most cases. Did you ask what the yard price per hour is? For what you mention, the installation seems high.
Old 09-03-2008
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Labor is the 800 pound gorilla on all these jobs. How about $26K to sand and varnish the teak on a 27-footer?
That was probably more than the boat was worth
Old 09-03-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I think you are being taken for a ride on at least the Raymarine side. Those two displays are very easy to install (it is a DIY install - have done it before) and the parts alone for what you want are less than $7K if you shop around. The labor to install is about 6 hours electrical and 3 hours mechanical (assuming 95 for labor and 125 for electrical) not even in the ballpark for a reasonable price. Even if they quote X 2 for people to install - still not close. Before taxes that would be about 10,600.

I would know on the Raymarine equip as I recently bought dual E-120 displays, with AIS, LifeTag, Sirius, and 4 cameras (for less than 7K) at West Marine. Usually you can get a package deal on one with the radar, and the Raymarine GPS is like $125.00...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 09-03-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
I think you are being taken for a ride on at least the Raymarine side. Those two displays are very easy to install (it is a DIY install - have done it before) and the parts alone for what you want are less than $7K if you shop around. The labor to install is about 6 hours electrical and 3 hours mechanical (assuming 95 for labor and 125 for electrical) not even in the ballpark for a reasonable price. Even if they quote X 2 for people to install - still not close. Before taxes that would be about 10,600.

I would know on the Raymarine equip as I recently bought dual E-120 displays, with AIS, LifeTag, Sirius, and 4 cameras (for less than 7K) at West Marine. Usually you can get a package deal on one with the radar, and the Raymarine GPS is like $125.00...
Wow. I haven't priced that hardware lately but I'm impressed it can be had for that price. I would have thought quite a bit more. Maybe Fritz should supply his own hardware?

Like I said, a price breakdown would allow those familair with these units and their installation to offer more educated replies (than you're getting from me! )

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-03-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
You can BUY the winch for $2600 bucks or less. I don't see how the other parts and the install should be $4000. This is at most a 2 day job which should be around $12-1500 bucks labor. Maybe you are getting charged full retail for the parts. Buy 'em on line and let the marina just get rich on the labor.

As to the Raymarine stuff...Sailnet carries the e-80 pack which includes the display, gps, hd depth sounder, vhf215, network crossover coupler and cable for $3400...which is an excellent deal. An extra display is $2425 and the 4kw dome is $1500...So about $7500 for the bulk of the stuff. I can't begin to see anywhere close to that for install labor and minor parts. Again...buy on the internet and have them install it. I don't have any good guys to recommend in NC but maybe some folks down your way can help. Raymarine site has all their certified installers near you listed with contact #'s but I can't vouch for anyone specifically except up on the Chresapeake.
Old 09-03-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
It might be worth it to call Deltaville Boatyard and/or Schroder Yacht Systems for quotes on the winch install and Marine Electronics Inc. for the nav/radar. All are in Deltaville VA, which is not too terribly far from NC.

If the quotes come in close to the same, at least you'd have peace of mind, but in my very limited experience, it seems you might get more for your money in Deltaville than points north or south.
Old 09-03-2008

FritzN is on a distinguished road
Labor Cost

Thanks for your opinions. Whereas you folks may not know precisely what these things should cost, you have a more experienced feel for what is reasonable, which is what I'm looking for.

I suspected that the yard was high, because I looked up the cost of the major components, and the labor (at $75 an hour, which is what they charge) just didn't make sense.

Also, there were several simple items in the quote that were transparently overpriced, which made me suspicious about the more complex ones. For example, I was quoted the following:

Varnish cabin sole with two coats of satin varathane.

$1,800

I know from experience that this item is way overpriced.

Or how about the following:

Replace six Lifeline AGM 105 amp batteries (with minor repositioning)

$4,289

I found the Lifeline AGM Group 31 batteries at an online price of $419.95 each (before freight) at:

AGM Batteries.

6 x $419.95 = $2,519.70. At $75/hour that would allow 23 hours for installation -- or almost 3 full working days!

I particularly like your suggestions that I buy the components and have a good yard install them on the clock. Camaraderie's Sailnet package sounds especially attractive.

Thanks,

Fritz
Old 09-03-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Those are the folks I would have recommended! They did 2 of my boats.