Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Anthony,

There are plenty of ways to get yourself on the water, ie there are races almost if not, "EVERY" weekend of the yr here in Seattle. Including today out of Shilshoal for the Seattle Singles NW Harvest Food Drive that Jody will be crewing on my boat, as his is on the hard.

There are some crew lists availible locally too, to see whom is in need of crew too. Windworks or Seattle sailing is another option to make sure you and spouse can get on a boat too. Either of them will not put you initially on anything from what I under stand much bigger than a 25-27' boat. You still have access to there class's, use of boats etc, for about the same price per month as moorage or a payment in and of itself. Reality is, this might be better, "IF" you can get your spouse to take these classes, then she will probably learn better than from you! Don't ask how I know this.........ongoing occurance right now, ie she is trying to learn from me, but I do not always know the answer, or know how to say the answer in the correct form for her to understand yadda yadda........I won't even teach my wife how to ski, and I have been doing that for 30 yrs, and am a training director at the ski school I work at, ie I teach the teachers!

Another option, is to buy a boat and put it in the Windworks or SS program. Then you get paid for use of you boat when someone else is using it!, Saves you about half the cost of moorage and payment from what I understand looking into it. BUT, while you can to a degree use your boat when you want, if someone has leased it you need to use another boat in the fleet, or not go out. You can black out days when you "WANT" to use the boat for say a week or two to the SJ's or weekend...

Another place to look at is "Sandpoint Sailing" they use smaller dinghy boats for there classes and members to use. Similar in program etc to WW or SS.

Some or none of the above suggestions may work for you, but they are other options to get you on the water.

Last night bringing my boat from Edmonds to shilshoal turned into a fun trip, as the forcast was for light winds, thought I would motor, got out of the marina, and realized the winds were 10-15, so I threw up the chute, then the main, and daughter and I had a 5.5-6.5knot sail instead of a 6knot motor to shilshoal! There are positives to owning the boat, on the other hand, if a boat needs to be taken somewhere for owners of the boats in WW or SS, then they might want folks for transport crew to races like I was doing last night.

Marty
Old 09-27-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
A general thought:
You're not going to want to be delivering a new-to-you boat in that price range all that far. Look around in your area, and consider the logistical problems that could occur if you find something you like... but is also 300 miles away. Try to find the boat that suits you best and is close to home.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2008
Galley Goddess

sailhagg is on a distinguished road
Great advice in this from everyone. I'd like to add my $.02

We started out with a 26 footer with a poptop and found it was too small for the 3 of us. We have since moved up to 30 feet and while it can become cramped if we're gone for several days and rain hangs on, it is much more comfortable. You may want to think about diaper changes etc. inside the boat you're looking at. Happy wife=more time on the water...espeically if you factor in screaming baby.

While my crystal ball maybe broken, I don't see our economy picking up anytime real soon and there are always good deals to be found on a boat. As stated before, when the boat screams at you, you'll know.

As a side note to a soon to be parent...there is never just one kid. We have one kid and she always has to take a friend. Granted she's not a baby but then babies grow real fast! Best of luck in your boat hunt and congrats on the new addition!
Old 09-27-2008

anthony11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
A general thought:
You're not going to want to be delivering a new-to-you boat in that price range all that far. Look around in your area, and consider the logistical problems that could occur if you find something you like... but is also 300 miles away. Try to find the boat that suits you best and is close to home.
That 27 I posted the link to was just an example of what I might try to find next year.
Old 09-27-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhagg View Post
We started out with a 26 footer with a poptop and found it was too small for the 3 of us. We have since moved up to 30 feet and while it can become cramped if we're gone for several days and rain hangs on, it is much more comfortable. You may want to think about diaper changes etc. inside the boat you're looking at. Happy wife=more time on the water...espeically if you factor in screaming baby.
Indeed. I did take her to see this C25 and she felt like it was roomy enough inside, but that might change after we're out on the water. For a 25' it definitely is quite spacious, which of course is why the side decks are so tight.
Quote:
While my crystal ball maybe broken, I don't see our economy picking up anytime real soon and there are always good deals to be found on a boat. As stated before, when the boat screams at you, you'll know.
Cool, I get your drift (so to speak) I do great with purchases that are more commodity-like, eg. a camcorder to capture lizard footage, but the bigger, unique-item purchases (house, boat) are more emotional -- I'm afraid of missing out on The Right One by waffling.
Quote:
As a side note to a soon to be parent...there is never just one kid. We have one kid and she always has to take a friend. Granted she's not a baby but then babies grow real fast! Best of luck in your boat hunt and congrats on the new addition!
Thanks. This is actually one of my rationalizations for buying a boat -- we moved out of my big rural house into a cramped townhouse with a microyard, and I don't want our lizard to always have to go to someone else's place to play. I figure the boat could even things up a bit social-statuswise for him. The 25' would be a bit cramped for more than the three of us, though.

Last edited by anthony11; 09-28-2008 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-27-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post
That 27 I posted the link to was just an example of what I might try to find next year.
That's a nice ship, and you'll get a lot of boat at that price.
Old 09-28-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
There are plenty of ways to get yourself on the water, ie there are races almost if not, "EVERY" weekend of the yr here in Seattle.
I've had once experience with racing, a Duck Dodge that led me to believe that racing isn't for me. Perhaps a race out on the Sound would be less frantic. I've had the impression that racing crews were word-of-mouth and difficult to break into. If that's not the case, I'd be happy to give it a shot.
Quote:
Windworks or Seattle sailing is another option to make sure you and spouse can get on a boat too. Either of them will not put you initially on anything from what I under stand much bigger than a 25-27' boat.
The C25 I was tempted by is in fact brokered by Windworks, but isn't one of their club boats. They're also listing a club C25, though, and the $1500 delta in asking price is not in proportion to the apparent condition.
Quote:
You still have access to there class's, use of boats etc, for about the same price per month as moorage or a payment in and of itself.
Yep, I used to belong to ISC and sailed J22's out of Kirkland, so I know how it goes. Windworks is US Sailing, though, and I think I want to stick with ASA rather than starting from scratch. SSC has a flat-rate model that appeals to me for the idea (perhaps fanciful) that I'll be able to do a bunch of sailing next year, but their fleet is substantially J's, which aren't going to offer the amenities and motion comfort my family will want. Their C&C 30 and 36 would be better, but I'm sure there's contention for them. Windworks' low monthly membership and pay-as-you-go model will probably work best for me, at least for this next year, and their fleet is larger and more cruiser-oriented than SSC's.
Quote:
Another option, is to buy a boat and put it in the Windworks or SS program.
I talked to SSC about their program - didn't seem too appealing. They want at least a $45-70k boat, at least 32', and the economics and limited owner use are disappointing, especially with the abuse I'd expect club sailors to deliver. On a $45k boat ("a mid-80's Tartan or C&C 32") when pressured they told me the lease payment would be roughly $250, plus moorage. I would have the same access to it as any other club member, with only one outstanding reservation at a time.
Quote:
Another place to look at is "Sandpoint Sailing" they use smaller dinghy boats for there classes and members to use. Similar in program etc to WW or SS.
Yep, I've heard of them via the meetup. I've kinda had my fill of small boat sailing on Lake Washington, though, and want to move up to larger boats on the sound, with the ability to do day/weekend trips over to Bainbridge, Brownsville, etc.
Old 09-28-2008

Hmmmmm, Duck Dodge......hmmmmmmm.... that is about as close to craziness of racing as one can get! Three classe's, fast, slow and dinghy, no rules per say other than "Dodge the Ducks". Honestly, that would be a bad comparison to wht a race is! You might check out the Sloop Tavern YC based in ST by the Gmnt Locks. They along with the Shilshoal bay YC sponser monday night racing from April to July/August or there abouts ie Ballard Cup. That is a much better "Race" to try and crew/do.

Also as I mentioned earlier, David is doing the FWB race out of Edmonds, as am I, I believe I have a full crew, not sure about Jody either, whom is also racing. But he usually has his harem onboard..... but being a he is 38' he can handle a few more folks.

Racing on the sound in class's with 8-12 boats is a lot different than the semi organized caos of the DD!

Then as far as what boat, spouse came in and harrased me for typing here, but said, do not get in a real hurry, you will know the boat when you know it! at least we were that way when we bought are used Jeanneau. Even going into new ones, she pretty much knows as she walks into the cabin, it either yes or no! For her, Catatina's are a NO! in and out about that fast. Hunters inside is hit and miss, Bene's are the same way, the Oceanus as a whole is Yuck, the 36.7first is ok, the 34.7 is out the door, same with the J105, but the 109 she likes.....Jeanneaus are generally speaking she likes the interior.........Then again, there are others on here that will say the exact opposite of my wifes tastes for the above boats too! You will know what is your boat style and "your" boat when you see her! In the mean time get on as many as you can. And as a parent of "4" kids, yes there will be more along at times, ie friends etc.

marty
Old 09-28-2008

Any suggestions on how I find / get signed up? I did some googling but found only an entry form for boat owners.

As to interiors, my wife's okay with pretty much anything.
Old 09-28-2008

Let see how the weather holds and unfolds etc. If like yesterday, I am ok, if like today, with 15-20 knot winds, a 7th person on board y boat would be nice, or spouse may even duck out!

Also, I noticed across from me, a Yankee 30 for sale, and just found it online at Yachtworld too! They're ranging from 15-65K on Yachtworld, this one has not moved in the 3 yrs I have been in Edmonds. I would imagine bottom paint etc will need to be done along with some other trim work, but overall, she is nice looking. Probably on the high end for pricing IMHO.

marty