Please Advise me about a sailboat with an older Diesel Engine - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008

catfish26 is on a distinguished road
Please Advise me about a sailboat with an older Diesel Engine

I am a newbie at sailing and we are considering a 25 foot Bayfield with a 76 Yanmar YSE8 diesel engine. The engine was rebuilt in 1993. It had new heads and mufflers in 2007.

Here's my question, should I avoid this engine? Is it 32 years old or is it 15 years old? My dreams are modest...I only want to sail in gentle winds with my family on weekends...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Glen
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2008

Ippa2 is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I'll chime in on this one, but first I'VE NEVER OWNED A DIESEL. So take this with that warning.

If the diesel has been well maintained and the up keep has been done annually, I would think the engine wouldn't be a deal breaker. Diesels are know for their longevity, when compared to gas, as long as they're not neglected. Also if this boat is really "the one" for you, and the only thing stopping you is the older engine, you could always have a diesel mechanic perform a mechanical survery on the diesel engine. This will at least give you some peace of mind if the survey comes back good and if it doesn't come back good, maybe give you a little leverage in asking for a lower price...

Well good luck. Bayfields are nice rugged/good looking boats.
Old 09-08-2008

Bump is on a distinguished road
Older diesel

I have a 1979 Yanmar 15hp. It has been well taken care of an runs very well. Diesels wiil go a long time but you should have good mechanis take a look as replacing it or repairing it can get very, very expensive. My guess is that it is near the end of its useful life.
Old 09-08-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
It depends on a couple things -- How much was the boat used? how much of that was sailing, and how much motoring? how was the PO's maintenance schedule? I had a '77 Yanmar YSN8 in my '78 O'Day (sold 5 years ago, current boat has an '80 Perkins 4108) and a good friend's current boat (8 meter S2) has a 1978 Yanmar YSN8. My Yanmar sufferred a broken valve after 5 days of constant running to bring it here from Michigan (mast down) in 1997. 250 dollar repair. My friend's boat has never had the head off, runs like a champ. Basically you need a survey on the engine unless you know the seller well enough to know his maintenance habits. It may well serve your needs for the next 25 years without a hiccup unless it has been neglected or run 2000 hours a year for the last 20. Get a service manual, get a survey, then decide.

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-08-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Don't turn down a boat you love based on the age of the diesel. Get a marine diesel mechanic NOT a surveyor to go out with you on the sea trial and put the engine through its' paces. If he says the engine is fine...then buy the boat if it otherwise meets your needs. If he says it is not fine...then walk away...the expense of a new one will be in the $10-15k installed range which you will never recoup.
Old 09-09-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
We have a 1982 cutter with a Westerbeke w21 that has 700 hours on it. A diesel that has been maintained will go at least 5000 hours no problem. If the rebuild was done correctly, you're diesel is almost new.
Old 09-10-2008

catfish26 is on a distinguished road
Thanks to those who responded. I am impressed with the help you provided. I now have a plan and a better sense of options. Wow, this sailnet thing really works! If ever I learn what I am doing (sailing-wise), I'll be sure to help a newbie.
Thanks again,
Glen
Old 09-10-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
catfish,
thats why we're here. ,
that and for naked pics of your wife....KIDDING!!!!!!!!!

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 09-10-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I'd be much less concerned about the diesel than I would be about the performance of the boat. Although they are relatively well-built boats, and are definitely "shippy" looking, the Bayfield 25 may well be the slowest boat ever to leave a jetty. Not saying you shouldn't buy it, but go into the purchase with your eyes open.
Old 09-13-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippa2 View Post
Hi,

I'll chime in on this one, but first I'VE NEVER OWNED A DIESEL. So take this with that warning.

If the diesel has been well maintained and the up keep has been done annually, I would think the engine wouldn't be a deal breaker. Diesels are know for their longevity, when compared to gas, as long as they're not neglected.
My Atomic 4 gasoline engine still runs fine after 41 years. Admittedly, it is basically a tractor engine that likes to to be babied and fortunately I have learned some of the tricks to keeping it happy. You will too with a not-so-old diesel.

Keep the fuel tank clean of sludge and water.
Change the pre-filters often (yearly at least).
Change the oil often (twice a year).
Inspect the water pump impeller.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.