Younger 27-33' cruiser for family of 4 + dog options? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008

hazmat17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
Hazmat17,

Here is a photo

of a NavAid located in the narrowest part of the Merrimack entrance buried by current/out going tide. I took this as I was puttering along at 1 kt past it in a sailboat under full power.

I strongly think it is a better option to put your boat in Beverly or Salem harbors. Aside with not having to deal with this if you miss time it, you can be in open sailing water within 5 minutes of leaving your mooring instead of the 30 or 40 minute crawl down the river to open water. I don't know where you'de be coming from on land, but Salem/Beverly are only 25 minutes or so from Newburyport on I-95/MA-114.

DrB
Hmmm that does look like a problem... I live in West Newbury (west of NBPT), work in Andover. I like the idea of driving 15 min to NBPT vs. 40 min to Salem/Beverly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
"Family Background - I'm a lifelong sailor, no learning curve required. She knows how to sail, but needs to work on her self confidence. We have 2 young daughters aged 3 & 2 months. The 3 year old has a couple dozen days (including overnights) experience on the grandparent's Freedom 38 on & around Buzzard's Bay and so far loves it."

IMHP you are sailing alone as mom has her hands so full watching the young family that to even handle dock lines right now would a problem

Tommays
While I realize that each kid is different, We have easily double handed with the oldest daughter at 1,2 & 3 years old The Freedom has a jack line in the cockpit and she gets harnessed in near the skipper during docking or mooring if there isn't an extra set of hands around to "watch the kid".

If 2 becomes a handful we know plenty of willing crew - might have to get a bigger boat (or forgo the cruising for a couple seasons).
Old 09-09-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Yaa... but at least in that picture there are no dock pieces floating down like I hear have been a few times over the last few years with the floods hitting the Merrimack
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 09-09-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
sugar scoop / good boat

Hello,

I understand about wanting the swim platform, it was a requirement when I bought my boat. My kids (7, 10, 14) and I like to swim from the boat, and the platform makes getting on the boat much easier. Also, my boat is on a mooring and we row out to the boat. Most bigger boats have too high freeboard to make an easy climb from the dink into the boat. The swim platform makes all the difference.

If you want a good boat for a cheap price, take a look here:

1986 Newport 33 Boat For Sale

I first noticed this boat about two years ago when it was for sale in Rochester. The new owner must have put a lot of money into it, and it now getting rid of it. You could just about steal it for that price, sail it for a few years, and then have a better idea of what you really like.

Note that I have never seen the boat in person, so it may be junk. I have seen a few Newport 33's (my previous boat was a Newport 28) and they are pretty nice. IMHO a little nicer than Catalina because of the teak and holley sole, nice cabinets, good layout, etc.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Are there any other less known brands I should consider?
CS34 Yacht Details
Old 09-10-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Add the Oday 322 to the list for consideration. Its got 2 real cabins, sugarscoop swim platform and is available in your price range.

Also, though I have no experience in the area what-so-ever, I think I'd take the 40 minute drive to avoid having to deal with the conditions in that picture. Of course I live in an area where I spend 3 hours a day commuting to and from work, so a 40 minute drive to go sailing is nothing.
Old 09-10-2008

edstill is on a distinguished road
I've been looking for something alone the same lines as the OP, so have been appreciating some of the feedback here. (Hadn't thought of the O'Day 34/35)

The sugar scoop is a 'want', but not a 'need' for me. Bigger galley an absolute requirement, says the hunch-backed admiral. I've seen some listing for Cal 33s that look interesting, and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on them.

Thanks,

Ed Stillman
s/v Arrow
Pearson 26OD
Old 09-11-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
Sailing Time Defined

While I am all for a 15 minute drive to the boat versus a 40 minute drive, I think that one needs to look at all the full equation of time from leaving one's house to full sailing to see in this case, the drive time is not the factor.

Time-To-Sail = Time you leave your house door to the time you actually have sails up and are sailing.

For Newburyport: 15 minute drive (for Hazmat17) + 20 minutes boat prep (dock) + 30 to 40 minutes to Open Water if he is on the east side of a draw bridge. If he is on the west side of the bridge, it may add another 30 minutes to allow the bridge to open. So best case is an hour or so before he can actually sail provided that the tides and current are favorable. It could be a as long as an 90 minutes if he needs to go under the drawbridge or even longer if the tide and current are not in alignment.

For Salem/Beverly: 40 minute drive + 10 minute launch ride (mooring) + 15 minutes boat prep (no fenders or dock lines to stow) + 5 minute motor to end of harbor. No need to worry about tide or river current. Take away 5 minutes if you manage to get a slip Hawthorne Cove (Salem). So estimate time-to-sail is about an hour.

So even though the drive is longer, the time-to-sail is on average going to be shorter AND the current /tide/river mess won't come into play, nor will that narrow drawbridge.

Don't get me wrong. Newburyport is a beautiful harbor town. If I had a powerboat and lived nearby, I'd love it.

I am only suggesting to Hazmat17 that Newburyport is not an ideal spot if he wants to keep his soon-to-be sailboat AND go sail it on a weekly basis. If it is only a half dozen or so times, then it may make sense, but his OP says he wants to use it frequently.

DrB

Last edited by DrB; 09-11-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
While I am all for a 15 minute drive to the boat versus a 40 minute drive, I think that one needs to look at all the full equation of time from leaving one's house to full sailing to see in this case, the drive time is not the factor.

Time-To-Sail = Time you leave your house door to the time you actually have sails up and are sailing.

For Newburyport: 15 minute drive (for Hazmat17) + 20 minutes boat prep (dock) + 30 to 40 minutes to Open Water if he is on the east side of a draw bridge. If he is on the west side of the bridge, it may add another 30 minutes to allow the bridge to open. So best case is an hour or so before he can actually sail provided that the tides and current are favorable. It could be a as long as an 90 minutes if he needs to go under the drawbridge or even longer if the tide and current are not in alignment.

For Salem/Beverly: 40 minute drive + 10 minute launch ride (mooring) + 15 minutes boat prep (no fenders or dock lines to stow) + 5 minute motor to end of harbor. No need to worry about tide or river current. Take away 5 minutes if you manage to get a slip Hawthorne Cove (Salem). So estimate time-to-sail is about an hour.

So even though the drive is longer, the time-to-sail is on average going to be shorter AND the current /tide/river mess won't come into play, nor will that narrow drawbridge.

Don't get me wrong. Newburyport is a beautiful harbor town. If I had a powerboat and lived nearby, I'd love it.

I am only suggesting to Hazmat17 that Newburyport is not an ideal spot if he wants to keep his soon-to-be sailboat AND go sail it on a weekly basis. If it is only a half dozen or so times, then it may make sense, but his OP says he wants to use it frequently.

DrB
Are you a Doctor or an engineer??? (I'm an engineer) I like your Time to Sailing metric - perfectly logical. I've since spoken to a couple local sailors - One neighbor who used to keep his boat in Salisbury (East of Bridge) and said never again - now commutes to Rockport (where he has a summer cottage as well). Also spoke with a gentleman who does private sailing lessons out of American Yacht Club (Newburyport, East of bridge). My wife has been out sailing with him a couple of times with some ladies from the Newburyport Mother's club who wanted to learn. He said most of his fellow club members don't bother to raise the sails until they are out in the bay (30 - 40 min) and getting back in at the wrong time can be a challenge.

Soooo, armed with that information, we are going to explore, Beverly / Salem / Marblehead as well as Gloucester options.

Oh and thanks to all the posters with the Boat recommendations.
Old 09-11-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
I am Both...

PhD in Engineering. So that can be looked at a lot of ways.

And....fwiw... I have my boat in Salem Harbor/Marblehead side and drive about 50 minutes to get to my boat from my house (which is in Needham). It would have been closer for me to moor the boat in Boston Harbor or a little south near Hull/Weymouth etc. But when I applied the sailtime equation, things were better for Marblehead. Had I been in Boston Harbor, I really couldn't be sailing until past the Airport because of all the ship, ferry, PB, and sailing school traffic. If I had been in Hingham Bay (Hull/Wemouth) it is very shallow so I would need to motor a lot to get past Hull Gut.

So even though I drive 50 minutes, once I reach the Village st launch dock in Marblehead, it is only another 5 minutes or so to the boat on the launch, 10 minutes to prep the boat and leave the mooring and then 5 minutes to a wide open Salem Harbor.

I think your list of boats for consideration is a good one. I'd stick to the 30+ foot range for a family of four and a dog.

One more thing - Gloucester: The Annisquam is shallow at low tide. If you're serious about Gloucester, keep that in mind when looking a boat drafts. Also, the Blyman Canal bridge (in/out of Gloucester harbor to Annisquam River) is VERY tight and opens every 15 or 30 minutes I think. Maybe think about a club/mooring actually in the harbor instead of the Annisquam if Gloucester is for you.

DrB

Last edited by DrB; 09-11-2008 at 03:31 PM.