Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008

TractorJohn is on a distinguished road
Rawson 30 pilothouse

I'm close to buying a Rawson 30 Pilothouse. Anyone care to sound off?
I would like to know just about anything worth you telling, but especially
information like fuel economy with a volvo md11c.
I also need to know your experiences stepping the mast and trailering this boat. How long is the mast?, what is the bridge clearance? Anyone know the overall height from keel to cabin top?
Any particular problems? I have read the boat has too much weather helm, is this a severe problem or just a minor comment.
How/where do you carry your hard dinghy (how big)
Thanks to all.
TJ
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Does your name "Tractorjohn" mean you drive a Semi ? Because that's what you are talking about to trailer a 12,000 lb boat with a 9.5' beam. At least back in my trailering days almost all the states had an 8'6" limit for width without a "Wide Load" permit.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 09-09-2008

thanks Stan
Actually Tractor John is what the neighbor children call me because I gave them tractor rides once 20 years ago. They've all grown up, I've just got older.
Old 09-09-2008

capttb is on a distinguished road
We don't much worry about fuel "economy" in sailboats and other displacement hull boats with diesels, John. Most use .5 to 1 GPH at cruising speeds of 5-6 knts. if you need fuel more than twice a year you are exceeding the average. Getting a boat that big on and off a trailer is not something you'll want to do very often, maybe once a year if you haul out for winter.
Old 09-09-2008

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
TJ,

Google "Rawson pilothouse" and you'll find lots of info. regarding this vessel. Seemed to be a number of good reports and satisfied owners. Should also be able to find the more specific info. you're looking for.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Mast is 35' Bridge Clearance is around 40' with VHF antenna & tricolor. Overall height from keel to top of the PH will be around 10 feet. Some people have trailered their Rawon's however your total trailer weight will be around 18,000lbs. The mast is too heavy to be stepped without a crane or special gear. A tabernackle setup won't work well with the pilot house. Weather helm is not a problem. Newer Rawsons (all PH's) have an improved rudder design and a short bowsprit which negate some of the weatherhelm issues on older boats. Some of these boats were "custom" so make sure work was done to a resonable standard. All bulkheads will be glassed in. Check for rot on the edges and bottom. Make sure the concrete in the bilge is in good shape. It can be removed and replaced, but not without a lot of hard work. Dingy storage is a challenge. Consider davits, towing, or deflating a storing in the huge aft cockpit locker. A hard dink will have to be stored on the fordeck and will restrict visibility.

Last edited by sailboy21; 09-09-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2008

Rawson 30

thanks sailboy21 you gave me some needed info, Sounds like you have some experience with this boat. If so, whats the forward view from the two helms, are both satisfactory?
everyone says this boat is a slow sailor and doesn't point high is that really a big deal all things considered. Any idea what the fuel use will be with a volvo md11c at cruising. You mention rot on the bottom and edges, I'm confused, can you explain in more detail what I should be aware of?
TJ
Old 09-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailboy21 View Post
A tabernackle setup won't work well with the pilot house.
That depends on the pivot point of the tabernacle. My first pilothouse was a Nimble Arctic 25 Pilothouse Sloop and the very beefy 1/2" thick aluminum square captive tabernacle had the pivot pin about 2 feet off the deck so the mast could lay on or even above the pilothouse roof.
Old 09-10-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyleigh View Post
That depends on the pivot point of the tabernacle. My first pilothouse was a Nimble Arctic 25 Pilothouse Sloop and the very beefy 1/2" thick aluminum square captive tabernacle had the pivot pin about 2 feet off the deck so the mast could lay on or even above the pilothouse roof.
To my knowledge no tabernacle setup like this was factory. Anything is possible but... The standard spar on these boats is quite beefy. The Spartech spars on later boats is something like a 4 x 7 oval cross section with almost a 1/4" wall section. The wire is all 1/4" The mast is quite heavy and with furling gear for jib, and maybe main would be a real trick to step without the assistance of a crane. This is defiantly not a trailer sailor!

Quote:
thanks sailboy21 you gave me some needed info, Sounds like you have some experience with this boat. If so, whats the forward view from the two helms, are both satisfactory?
everyone says this boat is a slow sailor and doesn't point high is that really a big deal all things considered. Any idea what the fuel use will be with a volvo md11c at cruising. You mention rot on the bottom and edges, I'm confused, can you explain in more detail what I should be aware of?
TJ
Lots of good info here: rawsonownersnet : Rawson 30 Owners' Network

I don't have a pilot house, so I can't comment on the two helms. As far as fuel economy it should come in in the normal range for displacement boats this size. I would suspect .6 - .8 GPH at 6 knots but your experience may vary. Since the bulkheads are glassed in the plywood between glass layers may hold water if there was a persistent leak. This goes for any boat of similar construction. They point just about as well as any other bulky full keel cruiser. It is not a sport boat, but they have won offshore races and can do 120 mile days offshore in the trades. If you are thinking about this boat, one of your top priorities should be looking for a safe, well built, tough as rocks (literally) cruiser that will take you anywhere you want with dignity.

Last edited by sailboy21; 09-10-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailboy21 View Post
To my knowledge no tabernacle setup like this was factory. Anything is possible but...
I assume you mean that the Rawson Factory never did a setup like this, because Nimble most certainly did - on every 24, 25, or 26 they built. As you say (and basically I did in my first reply) this is no trailer sailer. But .... to add to your "Anything is possible" I rafted up with a Nauticat 37 a couple years ago that had a massive tabernacle set up for low bridges. Just adding first hand information.... that's all.