Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008

0verdrive is on a distinguished road
Bottom paint - estimated cost?

As I've posted before, I've been looking around at boats to buy. One of the boats I've found is an O'Day 25, which seems to be in good shape except that she needs bottom paint. What is involved in painting the bottom? Is it something I could do myself to save cost? I assume I'd strip the old paint, then probably prep and paint, followed by an anti-fouling paint? (What is "antifouling paint," btw?)

Also, how much should I expect to spend in paint/supplies?

Thanks!
~Dean
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Why are saying the old bottom paint needs to be stripped? If it's smooth and adhering well, a fresh coat (or two) may be all that's needed. Two quarts should be enough for one coat on an ODay 25. Bottom paint has poisons in it (typically copper based) to limit growth. Since you are in Kansas and probably on a fresh water lake, use a paint formulated for that use.
Old 09-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Why are saying the old bottom paint needs to be stripped? If it's smooth and adhering well, a fresh coat (or two) may be all that's needed. Two quarts should be enough for one coat on an ODay 25. Bottom paint has poisons in it (typically copper based) to limit growth. Since you are in Kansas and probably on a fresh water lake, use a paint formulated for that use.
I was told it needed bottom paint, and then provided this picture (among others). The assumption that it would need to be stripped was mine - all I know about painting is that you strip a house before painting it - I assumed the same was also true for boats. Does it look like I should just be able to paint over this, then?

Old 09-09-2008

This also brings up other questions, like:

1) Can I use the trailer as a boat stand, or do I need to procure the sort of stands I often see pictures of boats in when they're on the hard?
2) How do I paint the section where the boat stand/trailer is touching the hull?
3) Is bottom paint the same as anti-fouling paint, or do I do one, then the other?
4) Out of curiosity, what sort of paint do you use on the rest of the boat? (out of water portion of the hull, for example?)

Sorry for so many questions - is there a good website that already has all these answers?
Old 09-09-2008

RickQuann is on a distinguished road
Yards in our neighborhood charge between 18-22.00 per ft all inclusive
Old 09-09-2008

BlueWaterMD is on a distinguished road
Bottom painting is relatively simple. If worried about the existing paint a light powerwashing will take care of it. That is what the boat yards do. I would then just paint it on the trailer. It does get messy, as bottom paint is much thicker than regular paint. It is one of my least favorite boat maintenence jobs to do. I just never could justify spending $400-500 to have someone else do a job that I could do for a tenth of the cost. Anti-fouling paint is bottom paint. That is all you need, unless you were planning on an epoxy barrier coat as well.
Old 09-09-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Antifouling paint is one kind of bottom paint, the most common kind. If it is adhering well, you can usualyl paint over it but there are some paints that are incompatible and if you do not know what the old paint was, you might want to strip it to be sure the new paint will adhere properly.

The problem with stripping the old paint is that it is regulated as HazMat and if you sand or scrape it, whatever you remove must be treated as HazMat, contained and disposed of in a HazMat landfill. Sand it off on open ground, and the EPA may later order that ground scraped and shipped off as Hazmat--at a much larger cost and fine, ignoring the pollution/health issues.

The exterior portion of the hull above the waterline is called the "topsides" and you would use a topside "coating" on it. Coatings include paints and more spohisticated compounds like urethane paints, some of which are toxic to work with. Some can be rolled and tipped, some must be sprayed. Generally you would try to just clean what is there, because the original material is gelcoat (a fiberglass resin material) and that's more durable than coatings. Your local auto body shop supplier carries 3M's line of cleaners, polishes, and compounds for fiberglass gelcoat, they are the same for cars and boats.

Normally you paint the bottom, then after it dries, move the boat so it rests on new spots and paint the ones you missed.
Old 09-09-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Hard to tell for sure from the picture, but it looks like you can just lightly sand the bottom (use drop cloths to collect the dust) and apply some antifouling bottom paint. The topsides can just be compounded and waxed - just like a car. Don't wax the anti-skid areas of the deck however.
Old 09-09-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
1) Can I use the trailer as a boat stand, or do I need to procure the sort of stands I often see pictures of boats in when they're on the hard?
The stands are useful because you can collapse each of them individually allowing you to paint the area of the boat that they come in contact with.
Quote:
2) How do I paint the section where the boat stand/trailer is touching the hull?
See above - generally you remove one stand at a time HAVING FIRST ENSURED THAT THE BOAT IS ADEQUATELY SUPPORTED by other stands or temporary jacks, then aint the area and the replace the stand.
Quote:
3) Is bottom paint the same as anti-fouling paint, or do I do one, then the other?
Generally yes. Some people may refer to the epoxy coating that is applied to the bottom to reduce osmotic action as bottom paint, but this would be inconsistent with general usage. By and large, when someone speaks of bottom paint they are referring to the anti-fouling that we all apply to boats that are kept in the water.
Quote:
4) Out of curiosity, what sort of paint do you use on the rest of the boat? (out of water portion of the hull, for example?)
Specially formulated polyesters, epoxies, vinyls and even more esoteric goops. Awlgrip is the granddaddy of them all.

Quote:
Sorry for so many questions - is there a good website that already has all these answers?
You can learn a lot by searching this website. Don't apologise for asking for help. The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. Good Luck ! Hope everything works out well