SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   I am in Jacksonville inspecting Bene First 38... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/47047-i-am-jacksonville-inspecting-bene-first-38-a.html)

john232 09-12-2008 08:18 PM

I am in Jacksonville inspecting Bene First 38...

Flew in from TX to get the boat surveyed tomorrow morning at 8 am.
My Wife and I looked it over around noon and liked what we saw.
New cabin sole looked great, A/C was coooold, reefer was cold, the yacht had some new racing sails, Need to have some fabic put on the dodger frame but bimini is new and so are all the sail covers. SSb worked, all electronics are with in 1 to 2 years old, new 4 burner stove/oven was new and never used, corian counter tops looked very nice, and engine purred like a pussey cat. All the fuel system was relocated into what used to be a small head and up graded for easy accessablity, and oil filter was routed in the same manner. Very well thought out. If the survey goes well then I will buy the boat and Captain Woody (a columnist for Lattts and Atts Magazine and professional yacht deliverer Skipper) will sail it with Me and another crew member to Tortola BVI where I will start my new job as a Ship Wright. Wish me luck, and I will let you know how this all pans out. Man is yacht buying stressfull.

john232 09-12-2008 08:40 PM

I forgot to put up the link,,,,1985 Beneteau First 38 Boat For Sale

lilblackbearcat 09-13-2008 06:31 PM

THe boat does indeed look beautiful! You will probably want to live on it in the BVI while you hunt down housing, which is NOT easy.

I know because I live in the BVI!

The next problem will be finding a place to keep it in the BVI when you aren't out sailing on it.

Housing right now is plentiful but will dry up soon.

Good luck and I hope the survey pans out and all is well.

hellosailor 09-13-2008 08:16 PM

Looks like a sweet deal, John.

I'm not sure which model--but one of these Benes in about this size has a problem with the stock rudde rbeing longer than the shoal draft keel, so rudder damage happens before the keel grounds. Check carefully for hairline cracks & the rudder post, if this is one of those models. You wouldn't believe what a rudder + tube can cost.

john232 09-14-2008 12:51 AM

I bought the boat!!!!!!! Its my baby. The survey checked out very well, the sails where in excellent condition, and everything mechanical worked like its supposed to. I am at home in TX now but I will be returning their next week so I can provision for the trip and take all the winches apart and re lube them, tie the batteries down, re-do the propane plumbing, install the Dodger, inventory everything on board, fix a few fuse problems, I will be driving to Jacksonville this time so I can bring all my tools for my new job and bring some choice pieces of teak lumber with me. I will need some heavy weather jackets and bibs, boots, life jackets, linens, towels, blankets, cook ware, eating utinsils, First aid kit, register epirb, ect, ect,. If anyone can think of something I missed then feel fre to speak up.
Catch you all later.

blt2ski 09-14-2008 01:29 AM

"If anyone can think of something I missed then feel free to speak up."

Crew?!?!?!?! to get the boat to where you need it?

Marty

PS,

Congrates!

john232 09-14-2008 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blt2ski (Post 368363)
"If anyone can think of something I missed then feel free to speak up."

Crew?!?!?!?! to get the boat to where you need it?

Marty

PS,

Congrates!

Captain and extra crew will be their too.

djodenda 09-14-2008 06:47 AM

John:

You missed the point. Marty was volunteering.

Congratulations anyhow!

David

sailingdog 09-14-2008 08:23 AM

Don't forget to change the MMSI in the VHF radio if it has a DSC capable one.

jackytdunaway 09-14-2008 08:57 AM

Congrats on the new to you boat. I couldn't get the link to open.