Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Some New J-Boats

Looks like J is introducing a couple of new decimeter-series (i.e. sprit) boats for 2009: the J-95 and J-97.

The 95 is a daysailer/racer, with what I think is an unusual feature for a J-Boat: A centerboard! It can sail in as little as 3 feet of water. It appears to be targeted at the market trend for classy/retro daysailers.

The 97 is a family cruiser/club racer. It reminds me of the now discontinued J-32, except it has a sprit.

Both are about 31.5 feet long, but note that the 97 has less waterline, an additional foot of beam, and standing headroom.

New J-Boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2008

RickQuann is on a distinguished road
The 97 looks interesting. I've always been a fan of the J 32, and thought it would make a nice coastal cruiser
Old 09-17-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Neat looking boats... Jboat's prices can take their boats off many peoples' lists - I wonder what price will be set for these.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-17-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I like the J97, but the draft of over 6 feet doesn't make sense for a boat being sold as a cruiser/racer. Perhaps a shoal keel will be offered.
Old 09-17-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickQuann View Post
The 97 looks interesting. I've always been a fan of the J 32, and thought it would make a nice coastal cruiser
Same here. But I've always wished it had a sprit, too. Also, very few of the 32s were built with the aft cabin/quarterberth, so they're hard to find on the used market with that configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Neat looking boats... Jboat's prices can take their boats off many peoples' lists - I wonder what price will be set for these.
No idea on price - but I agree it will probably be dear. I like to study their offerings when they're new, with the thought that down the road they may become affordable on the used market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I like the J97, but the draft of over 6 feet doesn't make sense for a boat being sold as a cruiser/racer. Perhaps a shoal keel will be offered.
Yeah, I had similar thoughts. I'd like to see that boat with a +/- 5 ft draft. They usually do offer shoal options, maybe one will be forthcoming...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-17-2008

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Excuse me while I drool.......

I looked at the J site yesterday to see the J97 and then saw the J95.

I like performance boats. People have asked me what would me my favourite boat (I call them "Post Lottery" boats) and I am always at odds. Most I like have drafts of 6-7 feet in the 30+ range. Then there is the marina where we sail. At moon low tide there is approx 2.3 feet of water in our channel and at a typical low between 3 and 4 feet. A boat with a 7 foot draft can enter and leave our marina 2 hours either side of high tide and boats with 4 foot draft one hour either side of low.

And then came the J95. Looks to have more interior room than the J92, an enclosed head and a fast design. All this in a boat that does not worry about the tides in our channel!

I think I will in an ideal world sail on a J95 and sleep on a J97 (or a house). I like the lines of both but would absolutely liove to have the 95....

A quick enquiry to local dealer came back witha 145,000 base boat price (Cdn$). That would be without sails and instruments, etc... so expect closer to $200K for a 31 foot boat - but what a boat!

Finally - a performance boat for those of us in shallow bays. And even with the board down only draws 5.5 feet! My current boat draws 4.9 feet so even 5.5 is not bad.

Still drooling .... now have to win the lottery ...

Mike
J27 #150

Last edited by mikehoyt; 09-18-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I saw the pics etc at the local boat show last week. The 97 per the local dealer thought tween 175-200. They refered to it as a updated J30 vs most of you calling it a J32.

As far as the draft goes, weeeeelllllllll, being as I am in 400-600+' of water most of the time, don't think draft is an issue! the MORE the merrier!

The 97 looks to be like a boat spouse and I would like for cruising, and racing. Mostly racing, but some cruising involved. An interior such that she will feel comfortible in it, yet sporty enough to race, get to places reasonably quick etc.

PHRF per local dealer, 90's, I think low 100's personally, but could be wrong on that one! Locally 105's and 109's are in the upper 80's to 90's. I do not think the 97 will be as quick.

Marty
Old 09-17-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
...PHRF per local dealer, 90's, I think low 100's personally, but could be wrong on that one! Locally 105's and 109's are in the upper 80's to 90's. I do not think the 97 will be as quick.

Marty
Marty,

I think your rating hunch is probably correct. Low 100s might even be generous. Our old Melges 24 originally rated 114 (much lower now), so it's hard to imagine the J97 below 108-111 or so. Still, that wouldn't bother me.

But at this point we're only looking at drawings... and the price is too rich for my pocketbook anyway. Maybe when a used one comes up in 5-10 years...

Old 09-18-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
John,

I think if it ment going the used route, I would look for a 109 in a few yrs personally. A few feet longer, faster etc. Then what do I know! Just stating an opinion.

I also think personally that the 105's and 109's are rated a bit slow, should be about 5-8 secs faster into the upper 70's and low 80's. Or the C&C 115 was on last spring needs to go slower by the 5-8 secs. Upwind we did fine, down wind..........left behind big time! way more so than we gained upwind.

Anyway, we may if we can afford it look a bit more closely at the 97. We would like something a bit less etc than a 109. Just wish they were NOT building the 97 in France, the Euro/US$ exchange rate is going to make the cost a bit higher than necessary if one asks me too. not that my opin counts for anything here either! A bendy toy 36.7 new at 160K is looking pretty good! used in the 110-120 range............

Marty
Old 09-18-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
As a two time J24 buyer (one new one used) i like the boats BUT for the money they still have problems that you would expect to be resolved in boats of this price range

On a J24 if your not really on top of pulling hardware and beding it your deck will be a core fubar

A local J44 had a compleat bulkhead tabing failure on the way home from the bermuda race this year and some local 105/109 boats are needing keel sump reinforcements

If you look through yachtworld listings most of the used boat that have had a hard life have a pretty big it has been fixed list

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.