SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   What is the story on websites for buying a boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/47304-what-story-websites-buying-boat.html)

davidpm 09-20-2008 11:25 PM

What is the story on websites for buying a boat

This is what I think I know.

New and Used Yachts for Sale - YachtWorld.com
All the brokers list their boats here. Not going to find many deals but the place to find a boat and get a good idea of what the going price is.

craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums
The junk boats, small boats sold by owner the brokers will not touch.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Most of the more expensive boats will be cross listed on yachtworld the boatAngel (almost free boats) will be here along with folks who for some reason need to sell fast.

Is this about right?
What sites do you like and why.
I've read the advise on how to get a good deal but what about from a website point of view.
Where do I look to buy low and where do I look to sell high?

xort 09-21-2008 12:31 AM

Many boat makes have owner groups and those owner groups have websites and those websites have FSBO listings. Good place to look if you have a specific make in mind.

Coreyboy18 09-21-2008 12:36 AM

Sailboats for sale, Sailboat Classifieds, sailboat for sale by owner, used boats

Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale

I LOVE these two sites, and I actually check the a few times a day just to see what's out there.

Stillraining 09-21-2008 12:45 AM

I think your wrong about CraigsList

The way I see it is this is where all the unqualified Buyers go to tray and offer you a junk price on your decent boat.

davidpm 09-21-2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coreyboy18 (Post 372066)
Sailboats for sale, Sailboat Classifieds, sailboat for sale by owner, used boats

Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale

I LOVE these two sites, and I actually check the a few times a day just to see what's out there.

thanks for these two links
The texas one dosn't seem to have listings this direction (CT) but the sail boatlistings has everywhere.
In your experience how does it compare to CL, ebay and yachtworld.

davidpm 09-21-2008 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillraining (Post 372072)
I think your wrong about CraigsList

The way I see it is this is where all the unqualified Buyers go to tray and offer you a junk price on your decent boat.

Yes the old perspective problem, are you a buyer or seller.
I'm both right now.

I feel so conflicted.

Stillraining 09-21-2008 03:00 AM

LOL ..I know the feeling..My perspective is from both ends on Craigslist...I have both bought and Sold..I will never list another boat with them..What a wast of time dealing with as I said unqualified buyers just itching to score some grand steal of the decade type mentality...I lost count of the idiots who would come waist my time and then tell me "Well I dont have the money I was just hoping you wanted "Or would take" a lot less...Jeezz.

On the flip side when I bought something after inspecting the car boat whatever Id just ask what's your bottom dollor and fork over the cash no other questions asked. And I never went to look at anything I didnt really want or had the cash to buy.. I Just want to be treated the same way.

Edit: I posted about this topic in another thread...I got to the point where I'd interrogate the poor buggers on the phone calling out a few on the carpet so to speak telling them right out they were waisting my time and could'nt afford my boat...Rude ? ..probably... did I care? not in the least at that point.

JimsCAL 09-21-2008 10:11 AM

Another site is New Boats And Used Boats For Sale By Owner And From Dealers. Has both private and dealer listings.

Faster 09-21-2008 01:28 PM

Here's a couple more.. We used the first when we attempted to sell a boat a few years back, user friendly but we got few bonafide interested buyers. A risk of using your own email (as we did) is that we did receive some aggressive fraudsters ( eg "I will buy your boat, forward banking info and we'll transfer the funds tomorrow - do not worry about shipping") Yeah, right. But still, good places to window shop and price compare.

Used Boats for Sale | A Boat Trader Directory of Yachts and Boats

New and Used Boats For Sale