SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Is a survey a legal document

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  hamiam 
#1 ·
Reason I ask this question is I have recently had a survey done that ended up with gross negligence. We could not be present during a survey and had paid extra when we thought we had hired one of the best in the field. After getting the boat delivered, we found holes in the bottom of the keel showing that the boat had been aground. He mentions nothing of this in his report but now is stating that he told us this over the phone (which he did not, buy a boat with a hole in the bottom). Question, do we have legal recourse with this?

#2 ·
I had a similar problem. I seem to remember some boiler plate at the end of the survey which attempts to limit the surveyor''s liability. Anything he finds should go in the survey report. Telling you over the phone is worthless. I would talk to your attorney. The guy should have professional liability insurance to cover things like this. Also, he you let me know how it works out? My surveyor was also grossly negligent in the survey of my boat. So far I have had to do major fiberglass stringer work, rudder repairs, 2 stuffing boxes, a new engine, etc. etc. My survey was done in the Chesapeake area.. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.