Wanted: Hinckley,Swan,J105,BeneHunterCat

Denr,

What kind of boat do you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2002

davealves is on a distinguished road

Hi Thorsten,

Your list of desires is completely possible. Look at early 80''s and older boats. You can find older boats that are well cared for, well equipped, affordable, sail well and capable of off shore passages. Every once in a while you can find a fixer-upper thatís a great deal if youíre willing to do some of the work yourself. Before everyone says otherwise let me give you an example of what I''ve done in the past few years.

In 1997 I bought a 1981 Jeanneau Sun Fizz. It came with 11 sails and lots of new equipment. She had a PERF rating of 98 according to the paper work that came with it. I paid just a touch over $15,000 for it. The catch was that it needed a new keel (it was cast iron and had cracked in half, no damage to floors or the hull so I figure it was a bad casting that 20 years of freeze-thaw had finally cracked) and the house top core was bad. Cosmetically it needed a lot of TLC too. I had a surveyor check out her out just in case I missed something, and had a mechanic do an engine check.

In the 5 years since I replaced the keel with a locally available cast lead one (paid a NA to do the calculations) and replaced the house top core. In addition I''ve replaced the hull liner, recovered the over head panels, recovered the cushions, pulled the diesel and had that rebuilt, replaced the standing rigging and generally upgraded all of the systems. All this was after getting her back in the water 4 months after I bought her so Iíve been able to use her all of that time too.

I now have a perfectly reasonable yacht that sails well and I know is in good shape despite her age. As it''s an older Jeanneau it''s pretty strongly built. All of the bulkheads and cabinets are tabbed in and I have no problems with taking her offshore. I plan to take her to the Caribbean this winter. Two people can handle her with no problems. My girlfriend and I have taken her to Maine a few years back and then Nova Scotia this year from Rhode Island. Sheís not shoal draft as she draws 6í6Ē.

It takes a lot of looking but deals are out there. You have to be ready to pounce on them as soon as you see them as thereís a lot of guys like me looking too. And you have to be willing to do a lot of the work your self. Almost all of the work Iíve done, except for engine rebuilding, rigging and the cushions. I figure I have a perfectly reasonable yacht for less than half of the cost of buying one that didnít need lots of work. Additionally I know this boat from mast truck to keel and that everything has been gone over.

Start looking in the yards in your area, check out Soundings and all of the web sites. Ask around.

Good Luck.
Dave
S/V FLUKE
Old 08-16-2002

Ritchie11 is on a distinguished road

I am also looking for the "desribed" boat. It seems that several of the Ericsons meet the criteria. Ericson 36, 37 and 38 have shoal draft available and have PHRFs around 108 to 130 - faster that so many of the other boats mentioned in this thread. Why aren''t they mentioned in the "lists"? Is there a problem with the Ericsons? Not as livable? Quality issues? Would these fit? Is the Ericson a boat to scratch off the list?
Old 08-19-2002

bporter is on a distinguished road

Denr -

Still looking for that "Cockpit Picnic Table" that you were talking about for my Beneteau First 40.7.

Would have come in hand on our vacation last week. Of course it might have slowed us down as we were beating along at 7+ knots. With the little cruising sails on...

Don''t brand all boats from a single manufacturer with a single label. And once again quit being such a boatsnob - not everyone can drop $250K on a boat like you.
Old 08-19-2002

bporter is on a distinguished road

BTW - to help the original poster...

Some nice C&C''s can certainly be had in that range. I had a C&C 37 for a couple of years which I was quite fond of. Good sturdy boat, sailed well.

The interior layout of that boat only had one cabin (V-Berth), which was one consideration when we sold it. But in that price range there are some quality boats out there.

Spinnaker PHRF on the boat (centerboard version) was 114.
Old 08-12-2006

harborman is on a distinguished road
Have you found a boat as yet?. I have a newly listed J37. It is the best sailing boat I have ever owned. Moving to a trawler. Go to Boat trader on line.
Old 08-16-2006

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher
Your eyelids are getting heavy, you are feeling sleepy... when you awake you will start shopping for a C&C

I am Far, far, far from an expert, but that''s what I ended up with. Read everything you can about them. Look at as many as you can. They don''t all get great reviews, (Landfall''s and those that have wood cored hulls I would stay away from.)

Now Denr can yell at me because I have not been sailing for 510 yrs, single hand the Mayflower over and yet I am giving out advise.

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/
I would recommend a C&C as well. They sail very nicely and have held up well over time. I wouldn't rule out cored hulls as long as you are careful. I now am the proud owner of a C&C 36 and a Swan 41. Of course, I can't afford both and am putting the C&C on the market.
Old 08-18-2006

harborman is on a distinguished road
I have owned a J/37 for the past 7 years and found it to be the best sailing boat i have ever owned. It has a beutiful teak interior and sails easily by two. She is a wonderful coastal cruiser. J's are a well designed and rugedly built boat. Might be a little more that your target price, but an excellent value.
I am retiring from sailing and going to a trawler. Otherwise i would be still saiing her for years to come. Pics and specs if you are interested.

Ray

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.