Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008

ArgleBargle is on a distinguished road
opinion about my survey

hi

just had a very detailed survey of a 2006 hanse 370e done. i was very happy with the detail of the survey and knowledge of the surveyor. there were a bunch of minor things, but one thing is more difficult to interpret.

there was a thin line of rust at the upper aspect on one side of the iron strut of the composite iron strut/lead bulb keel - surveyor said could be cosmetic, but cant exclude more extensive rust without dropping the keel.

what would you do?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
If you really want this boat, offer to split the cost of dropping the keel with the owner, with the understanding that you retain your right of refusal until after the surveyor inspects the dropped keel. Looks OK, you accept the boat, clean up the rust and put it back together...doesn't look OK, that's the owner's problem and you walk.

The owner should feel this is a concern he needs to take part ownership of sooner or later, or he may have the boat forever...

(Man, I still can't figure why some of these nice boats have steel in the keels...)
Old 09-25-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Surveyors are generally limited from using 'destructive testing or observation" techniques. Without seeing the situation first hand, its hard to say why there is a rust line, by which I mean your description does not explain whether this is a minor crack in the fairing material, or whether the thin line of rust occurs in the adhesive caulk between the ballast keel and the keel foil.

If I owned this boat I would take a knife or sharp chissel and clean way the surface materials to see how deep the rust extends. But you don't own this boat. If I were buying this boat I would start by getting permission from the owners for the surveyor to do minor destructive investigation removing the surface material to see what is happening with the provision that you will repair the fairing or caulk if you do not buy the boat. That should allow the surveyor to determine how deep the rust extends.

Generally dropping a bulb off the keel foil is not all that difficult or expensive.

Jeff
Old 09-25-2008
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
I agree with Jeff, more investigation is needed, minor rust on an iron/steel keel is not uncommon, especially in a joint area, it may just be a maintenance item.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-25-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Yep...ya need to "dig into it" further! If it is minor you're still gonna want to fix it anyway as rust is always bad. Try to work something out with the owner by explaining that you want the boat but that ANY buyer and surveyor will raise this issue and you want to get to the bottom of it. Offer to split the cost of the inspection and based on the findings determine what is fair after that. Sounds minor to me but one never knows.
Old 09-25-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
IIRC that boat you are looking at is owned by the dealer, as they took it on trade for a bigger boat that the owner took delivery on in Europe.

Being as they have had it for about 6-9 months. They should be willing to work something out with you to verify how bad the rust is. It could be a quick sand, small amount of epoxy and new paint, and away you go!

Iron keels as you should know from owning your Attalia, seem to have some sort of what I will call a blister, but probably the wrong term yadda yadda......everytime it is hauled, at least my Arcadia has been that way. o one sands these blisters down, apply some epoxy to them, and bottom paint! Unlike the last time, after 20 some yrs, the WHOLE keel needed sanding and reapp of epoxy, so next summer should just be a few blister type issues.

Hope you get her and enjoy her!

Marty
Old 09-25-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I wouldn't split the cost of that inspection. The owner should be concerned with the issue and should be ready to deal with it so they have a financial issue already. If they want/need to sell the boat, they are not in a good position to bargain.

I would say..."you pay for the exploratory work and if I can deal with the findings I'll buy the boat. If the findings are bad, YOU have some work to do to fix that"
Old 09-28-2008

ArgleBargle is on a distinguished road
thanks everyone for opinions.

owner is footing cost.

blt2ski, you are partially correct, but the owner still owns it as it hasnt been traded as yet. he's moving up to a 430e.

my attalia iron keel is a bit annoying, i agree, but thats a 24 year old boat.

cant say enough about my surveyor, whatever happens he was worth every penny ($CDN 16 /ft)
Old 09-28-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Argle - see you are sailing out of BC... what marina/area?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)