Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011

bennyd10 is on a distinguished road
Bayfield 36 Review

I did end up getting the Bayfield 36 and really like the boat. It is a comfortable boat to sail. Very adaptable sail plan(we had double roller furling up front) It is solidly built, though not excessively heavy. We put on quite a few miles in varied conditions throughout the Caribbean and found it to track very well, and hold a good steady speed until the wind dropped down too much. They do like the wind, but it would still sail fine down to 10 knots. We added an asym for lighter conditions than this, and I would figure that or a light air genoa is a must for extended trips. We experienced 10-12 foot seas with 30-40 knots and she rode them no problem.
The boat also has great ventilation... With the Butterfly hatch and all the opening portholes, we could usually keep a breeze going through. Also, all the hatches were screened which is very nice. Another bonus was all the room. it feels more like a 38 or 40 footer on the inside to us after looking at so many boats.
Backing up-Not Great... I wouldn't want to back it into a slip. Getting out was no problem, and you could spin it no problem, but getting it to turn one direction while backing was near impossible. That being said, I don't think I have ever backed a sailboat into a slip.
Things we didn't like... Most have an alcohol stove, and we had some difficulties keeping them lit(usually in the middle of baking brownies...) Also, they tend to absorb water from the atmosphere. The galley could be better... My wife could comment more on that. The Butterfly hatch leaked when it rained hard. Also, the engine room could use more sound deadening insulation-one of the projects on the C-list. Oh, and you have to love wood! We took pride in our brightwork, and there is more wood on some boats-at least ours had aluminum cap on the rails, but it is a chore... Also, we have talked to others that had tank problems. Ours had been removed and painted with resin, so hopefully they will be all right....
Also, one day we ended up having to point too high motorsailing into a sharp 2-4 foot sea and she pounded hard... Never had that happen again, I would say that there are boats out there that will out-point her... But as a fella said on the docks before I bought her, you aren't buying her to go around the flags, are you?
Overall they are great extended cruising boats for a couple or small family!
It is also nice that its got great lines and classic looks.
Hope this helps!
Good luck.
Ben
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2011

wemoveboats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Hi- my youngest son is in NC looking at boats for an extended trip to Bahamas and Caribbean. He was looking at Morgan 38's but they just didn't excite him. Now he is looking at Bayfield 36's and I don't know anything about them. I'm wondering if anyone here has any info; common problems, strengths, suitability for Carib., etc.

I guess there is some confusion about the draft, it's listed as 5', but reportedly it's more like 5'9"?

Thanks for any info.

John
Hi John,just noticed your son booked transport for his boat back to WA on the web(Uship).He booked with Brad Smith AKA Planet Transport who has been under odrer to Cease operations from Dept of Transportation for over a year and has no Ins and will attempt to haul with a pickup truck.Multable fraud alerts under his username WWBS2723(Just google it).You can verify at safersys.com(DOT website).You might wish to pass this info along to him.Let me know if you need anymore info.
Old 10-10-2011

wemoveboats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyd10 View Post
I did end up getting the Bayfield 36 and really like the boat. It is a comfortable boat to sail. Very adaptable sail plan(we had double roller furling up front) It is solidly built, though not excessively heavy. We put on quite a few miles in varied conditions throughout the Caribbean and found it to track very well, and hold a good steady speed until the wind dropped down too much. They do like the wind, but it would still sail fine down to 10 knots. We added an asym for lighter conditions than this, and I would figure that or a light air genoa is a must for extended trips. We experienced 10-12 foot seas with 30-40 knots and she rode them no problem.
The boat also has great ventilation... With the Butterfly hatch and all the opening portholes, we could usually keep a breeze going through. Also, all the hatches were screened which is very nice. Another bonus was all the room. it feels more like a 38 or 40 footer on the inside to us after looking at so many boats.
Backing up-Not Great... I wouldn't want to back it into a slip. Getting out was no problem, and you could spin it no problem, but getting it to turn one direction while backing was near impossible. That being said, I don't think I have ever backed a sailboat into a slip.
Things we didn't like... Most have an alcohol stove, and we had some difficulties keeping them lit(usually in the middle of baking brownies...) Also, they tend to absorb water from the atmosphere. The galley could be better... My wife could comment more on that. The Butterfly hatch leaked when it rained hard. Also, the engine room could use more sound deadening insulation-one of the projects on the C-list. Oh, and you have to love wood! We took pride in our brightwork, and there is more wood on some boats-at least ours had aluminum cap on the rails, but it is a chore... Also, we have talked to others that had tank problems. Ours had been removed and painted with resin, so hopefully they will be all right....
Also, one day we ended up having to point too high motorsailing into a sharp 2-4 foot sea and she pounded hard... Never had that happen again, I would say that there are boats out there that will out-point her... But as a fella said on the docks before I bought her, you aren't buying her to go around the flags, are you?
Overall they are great extended cruising boats for a couple or small family!
It is also nice that its got great lines and classic looks.
Hope this helps!
Good luck.
Ben
Hello Ben,I think I just sent your Dad a message regarding your Uship Booking.The guy you booked has had his operating authority suspended and is under order to cease operations by Dept of Transporation.Brad Smith AKA Planet Transport,Verify at safersys.org.No Insurance!!!That's DOT website,also google his username(wwbs2723)to see fraud alerts.Are you aware he will haul your boat with a pickup truck???Can't say any of this on Uship without getting flagged by him.Do your homework!