Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Bayfield 36- need info. please

Hi- my youngest son is in NC looking at boats for an extended trip to Bahamas and Caribbean. He was looking at Morgan 38's but they just didn't excite him. Now he is looking at Bayfield 36's and I don't know anything about them. I'm wondering if anyone here has any info; common problems, strengths, suitability for Carib., etc.

I guess there is some confusion about the draft, it's listed as 5', but reportedly it's more like 5'9"?

Thanks for any info.

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
These character boats have a pretty good rep, Gozzard is a reputable designer/custom builder (these days) Bayfields are no longer made, but custom versions are made/sold as Gozzards IIRC.

If you like the look, and don't plan to race I think they're pretty neat boats. If your son is looking at the one in Oriental, it looks well equipped, but appears to need some TLC esp woodwork inside and out. (but hey - you've got penty of time, right? - and you probably haven't had enough of working on boats yet either??!!)

Have heard of problems with the bow platforms/sprits so that would be an area to check carefully. I'd be surprised if the draft was really over 5 feet.. they are generally shoal draft boats (to a fault in some ways - esp the smaller models)

Expect the typical "won't back up" etc, and she looks like a couple's boat for the most part as far as accomodation... I wonder how roomy that partial pullman/V in the bow really is.....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-26-2008
Courtney the Dancer

Hi Faster, he has looked at the one in Oriental and it is well set up for cruising but apparently the turbo is out/shot/disconnected? and there is red fluid in the sump under the engine. It might be ATF, I guess they use that in the trans., or dyed diesel but it didn't smell like fuel. This isn't the type of boat he set out to find, they were really impressed with how much room there was below compared to the Morgan 38. He's looked at a dozen boats and likes the Bayfield even knowing that it won't be fast and probably won't point too well (and forget tight quarters). Wish I could be back there looking with him.

You've done some sailing in that region, what would you recommend in the 35-38' range and $50-75K if you don't mind my asking?

John

Old 09-26-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Hi John

In the leewards/windwards, where we've mostly spent time if you watched your weather you could probably get by with one of Cam's posted Buccaneers (kidding) but I say that because it's generally pretty easy sailing with little true windward work anyway. Generally outside the charter fleets we saw a lot of various Perry type boats (actually the Valiant 40 comes to mind at the top of his budget - maybe an Esprit 37) like the Babas, Hans Christians, on the heavy cruiser side, plenty of European models like Amiel and Ovni, Moodys and other Brit boats. We saw relatively few mainstream North American boats like C&C, Sabre, Pearson etc. But any of those should do fine as long as you keep a weather eye.

The tougher part of his plan is getting from the Bahamas/Florida area out to the windwards if that's the idea.. it's a long slog to weather getting out there and that's where I think you'll appreciate a solid boat the performs fairly well with good sea habits.

Just did an East Coast YW search with your rough parameters and the following jump out at me a bit

C&C Landfall 38
Niagara 35
Late 80s Ericson 38 (or maybe Simon's earlier 39 - less money??)
Tartans (lots on the East Coast)
CS36T (probably my pick for this type of trip)

And not to exclude the various Beneteaus and late 80s C&Cs that might fit into that budget as satisfactory for this kind of adventure.

We sail there in a Bene 36.7 - hardly a serious ocean cruiser, but we are stricly island hopping and man, do we ever get some exhilarating rides in the gaps between islands!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-26-2008
Courtney the Dancer

Hey, thanks very much Faster! I didn't intend for you to do a research project for me, but your opinions are much appreciated. I would like to see him get a boat that would be considered truly offshore capable in case he decides to extend the trip and go through the canal into the Pacific and then...? I think any of your choices could go offshore, and go to windward when necessary.

Thanks , John

Old 09-26-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Hi- my youngest son is in NC looking at boats for an extended trip to Bahamas and Caribbean. He was looking at Morgan 38's but they just didn't excite him. Now he is looking at Bayfield 36's and I don't know anything about them. I'm wondering if anyone here has any info; common problems, strengths, suitability for Carib., etc.
I guess there is some confusion about the draft, it's listed as 5', but reportedly it's more like 5'9"?
Thanks for any info.John
Bayfield builds a good boat. Years ago I had a Bayfield 29, loved it, sailed it everywhere, sold it to a couple that two months later took it on the Regatta de Amigo (650 mile Galveston to Vera Cruz race), placed in the cruising class. A few years later they sold it and bought a 36, they love it. The guy who bought the 29, outfitted it and headed out on a world circumnavigation.
The issues I had with the 29 will be the same on all Bayfields. They have a lot of wood that has to tended to. The bow sprit developed rot where it attached to the fiberglas. Other than that, they don't have too many issues.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 09-26-2008
Courtney the Dancer

Thanks John,
I've also read that people have had problems with the tanks, do you know what, and where to look at to determine if they are going to need to be replaced? Thanks!

John

Old 03-02-2011

DesertPirate is on a distinguished road
Bayfield 36 for jrd22's son

Hi, just stumbled across your questions about Bayfields and saw that several years ago your son was looking at one. Did he ever buy one and if so, how did he like it? Also, have you any further information about them, as I am thinking about getting one. It's a nice looking boat and I only hope it sails as well as it looks! I have read good things about them, but more information is always helpful.

Last edited by DesertPirate; 03-02-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2011

DesertPirate is on a distinguished road
Question for Faster about Bayfield 36s

I figured a Bayfield 36, with its full keel, would not back up very well, but what about sailing to weather? I've read they're a boat made to sail a reach, but can you tell me any more of their sailing characteristics? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2011
Courtney the Dancer

I'll try to have my son Ben post something here. He loves the boat, spent time in the Bahamas, went from FL to Panama and then back to FL. As far as performance goes I was really impressed with it on all points of sail, not a racer but pretty impressive actually, and close quarter maneuvering is excellent (it really is, don't know why but you can back it up and spin it almost in it's own length). Tracking is great, we had a day of 20 knots off the port quarter on the way to Nassau with 6' waves with the Monitor steering and it was a straight line with an easy motion.
I spent some time getting the boat ready to head for the Bahamas and from what I could see they are very well built and really roomy inside. I was impressed with the boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.