Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2009

AlpineSailor is on a distinguished road
Way to go ! What a great deal you got on that Chrysler, glad to hear your first sails (except the tow in, Ugggg ) went well. I'm looking forward to sailing myself but it's gonna be awhile, still have alot of snow coming down here in Montana ski country.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2009

SHays is on a distinguished road
Well, hang in there. I have a friend who lives in Missoula, and this last bit they say is the hardest to wait through, and cabin fever starts to creep in... but you can enjoy laying out the ropes and such and preparing as much as you can! Can't wait to hear of your first sailing trip of the season! Fair winds and liquid seas, as opposed to frozen ones!
Old 01-28-2010

Cool Chrysler 22 update

Well, this boat has turned out to be a pretty good choice for getting some sailing done. I learned that it is one of the designs that Halsey Herreshoff did for Chrysler in the late seventies. It is a design marvel below decks and sails very stable, although the boat needs a little bit of the keel deployed for pointing ability. It will sail with the keel all the way up, however, in relative stability. I will be working on some projects before putting it back on the water. First, lights so I can stay further out from the bank at night, then a mast raising system, which will involve some trailer modifications. I am going to attempt installing an electric brake winch which I will use to raise and lower the mast to replace the nailbiting crew that lifts the mast manually. Finally, I am going to have to find a better motor. It came with a little gamefisher, which I brought to a shop, had "reworked" then it would not even crank when on the water. I was then forced to navigate to and from the bank under sail alone, and this worked great for two out of three times. On the third return to shore, a puff of wind caught the boat and slammed us way farther onto the lightly sloping bank than I ever intended to go. It took three stout men, grunting and sweating like everything to push it back off the bank. I gotta find a good motor and I think I want to run controls into the cockpit, since the bow of the boat is so high. When I lean down to run the motor, I can't see ahead of me. After these modifications, dare I think of putting a hot shot paint job on it? I think it would look just awesome. Money is still kind of an issue, but at least we are getting some sailing done, and hope with trailer modifications for easier mast raising that I will get even more sailing done with my family this year. Check out this great pic of gunkholing. I waded to the shore without getting my shorts wet. This is a happy story of a swing keel sailboat solving the sailing delimma for a family a little short on cash who lives in an area where there are not many boat slips due to hurricane damage from Ike. More updates later.

Last edited by SHays; 01-28-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: grammar and such, trying to learn how to post pictures
Old 01-28-2010

One last thought on this thread for people searching for affordable pocket cruising sailboats. In my research for affordable sailing, I have found some boats I didn't even know existed. The Holder/Vagabond 17, (early/mid eighties) is a great little sailboat, and an Oday 192 or 19, also mid eighties) are worth consideration. Here is a great video of a Holder 17 that has been restored. YouTube - HV17 Remix narrated.m4v The world out there for trailer sailors is so much broader than I ever thought it would be.
Old 05-18-2010
SeaWeed

camonett is on a distinguished road
Another Chrysler 22 owner

I also have a Chrysler 22 swing keel boat (1978), but I am in central TX on Lake Stillhouse-Hollow. These 22s are good boats but not real easy to trailer and rig. It does weigh 3,000 pounds! Mine stays in a marina slip and removed once a year for maintenance and cleanup. A fun boat with lots of cabin room.
Carl
Temple, TX
Old 06-18-2010

deepwaterhorizon is on a distinguished road
monty 17' vs. sanibel 18'

I really like the Sanibel, but I'm glad I chose the Monty. I have sail-camped her extensively. She can't be beached, but I have anchored her just off-shore, bow-to, in water shallow enough to make the wade a cinch. I've never considered the draft of the stub-keel an obstacle, and I believe the keel/centerboard configuration to be safer than a centerboard/drop-keel.
Old 08-27-2010

gbayfan is on a distinguished road
Nice Boat and Pics :)

Steven,
Thanks for the nice writeup and pics. Glad your sleepless nights are over
Looks like you made a great decision for your family. The boat has beautiful lines.
Am going through a similar decision process now, although I have decided on the boat....West Wight Potter 19. The trick is finding a used one in my part of the country.......
Bob