Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2008

SHays is on a distinguished road
Losing Sleep - Sanibel 18 or Montgomery 17

I have been reading everything I can about these two trailerable pocket cruisers, and am distraught over which to buy. Sanibel 18 supposedly has better sleeping space... Montgomery has better self righting abilities and sails more stiffly, which would please my little ones. I love the looks of the Monty, but was wondering if there is a centerboard trunk that intrudes into the cabin? A 360 degree tour of the M17 would provide answers to my interior layout questions. The Sanibel, I understand, is open below, and will beach quite well, which is an important feature in the multiple places I sail, however, the Sanibel by comparison to the M17 is a little more tippy at least for the first few degrees, then stiff after that. The M17 draws 1'9" which would make it a litte more difficult to beach, but not impossible. If I had the money, I would buy a new Compac Eclipse 21, as I understand it is very simple to rig, and would provide my family of four with a little more room.
Non-negotiables: a well equipped used trailerable sailboat that sleeps 2 adults/2 kids on occasion (even if I have to sleep in the cockpit) ... safe in the Gulf of Mexico, but could beach on a cute little island we have in lake Sam Rayburn, and sail in the Destin, Florida Bay, with jaunts into the Gulf of Mexico twice per year. Last non-negotiable: she must point like a dream, because I sail the Neches River which is narrow, and sometimes certain areas of Sam Rayburn are narrow to sail due to stumpy and mossy areas. AHHHH! Owners of the Sanibel18 love their boats. The Montgomery owners love their vessels as well. If I could see both in person it would help, but I am relegated to tracking down all the stats. I would love to see a size comparison of both Vberths, and quarter berths, and all the jazz... tired of losing sleep... AHHHH!

Last edited by SHays; 09-28-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2008

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
I can't help much with a choice but I had a Montgomery 17 for a short time and I really loved it. I might have to get another one some day. The Monty is a fun and stable little boat. Good luck with your choice.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 09-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd vote for the Monty 17... There's one that was custom built for a circumnavigation...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-28-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Oooh, That's a tough decision, I love the design of both of these boats, they are designs I researched heavily as well before buying my O'day. I guess it comes down to if you value performance or space, the Sanibel has more space, the Montgomery performs better, but has a stub keel and can't be beached. The sanibel has a huge interior for it's size, and can be beached but is not as fast or weatherly as the M17. Both boats look like they have nice deep comfortable cockpits. I guess my advice would be, if you find a nice used example of either one for a good price, buy it. It's nice to know both are still in production and parts are available.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 09-30-2008
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
Congrats on your decision .... I'm sure you will be happy. I hope your two daughters enjoy the boat as much as my three daughters enjoy ours.

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
Old 09-30-2008

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
You will enjoy it!

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 01-28-2009

Well, I have finally purchased a trailer sailing boat...after looking at many used boats, in various price ranges. I loved the Mongomery 17 after seeing a used one in person, but it was too small for my family of five (newborn son on Christmas Eve 2008!) to stay on board for a night or two. I found a boat that I have totally overlooked. My perfect world would have been a Compac 23 for trailering and stability, short jaunts into the Gulf, and lake sailing in beautiful southeast Texas. I set a ludicrous price range for myself, as both my wife and I are in graduate school. I ended up purchasing a Chrysler 22 Sandpiper edition sailboat, in immaculate condition, with Galvanized extendable trailer for $3000. The boat was designed by Halsey Herreshoff! She feels like a Compac on the water in terms of stability. there are 2 double berths below and one large and long single berth. The one double is a conversion from a booth style dining area. No standing headroom below, but V-berth is very spacious with lots of space above decks. The boat is solid, with 3000 lbs of displacement... 2000 lbs lead ballast, and 790lb swing keel. I have purchased the boat, and she is still on the water currently, awaiting an appointment for outfitting with bow and stern rails, and lifelines...I hope to get the net type of lifelines, to keep the little ones on board. Patience has yielded a very nice boat and a very affordable boat, one that we can outfit and upgrade and do some sailing in multiple waters. I will take her to the bay at Destin as soon as she is looking smart. I hope to add a bowsprit, and a wheel... I will post pictures as soon as I get her looking smartly. In the meanwhile you guys can see some other Chrysler 22's at Chrysler Sailing Association Website
Perhaps it is really true...that there is a sailboat out there somewhere for everybody.

Last edited by SHays; 01-28-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-28-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Steve,

Congrats!

I looked at some of the photos at the site you linked to. Looks like a good choice for your purposes. Neat boat!

Looking forward to seeing some of your photos.

- John

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-28-2009

Thanks John... Can't wait to get her rigged up and deployed for family giggles.
steven
Old 03-28-2009

Cool

Well friends, I have just returned from a somewhat successful sailing trip on my new to me Chrysler 22. The first day out presented learning curves. I had on the large genoa, and the wind came up a little too fresh for it, really hampering my ability to sail the boat. I had to be towed in to shore in humiliation, as my motor was getting repairs in the shop. I was just in a cove on a lake, so there was no danger. The next day, I had a nice family sail, but the wind died down upon return, leaving us on a very slow return to the shore. The following day, my wife and I had an absolutely perfect sail. The wind was in our favor in the cove of the lake and we ventured out into deeper "unprotected waters." We sailed home beautifully. That night I slept on the boat, and opened the forward hatch, which revealed the big dipper framed in absolute glory. The following day, storms threatened our sailing success, but I was able to do my first singlehanded solo sailing trip. We discovered that the boat likes a normal sized jib and she handled beautifully. I also learned that the boat must be treated with a firm hand when coming about, and correcting course must be anticipated, rather than responded to. This single-handed sailing was a huge accomplishment for me, as I was making my own decisions, and sailing to my heart's desire and content for an hour and half. Upon return, I nudged her swing keel against the shore as close as I could get it, and went up to a campsite for a break. A rain shower blew through, and just before sunset, a double rainbow was spotted just over my boat. The final day, today, there were 35 mph winds gusting from the northwest off the lake, and I was unable to get her back onto the trailer due to the ferocity of the wind related to where the boat ramp is. So, she is sitting snugly under two anchors until I can get her gently back on her trailer for another trip. Well, I wanted to write a report of my journeys and adventures, and share some pictures. I know I made mistakes. I know that I am still a sailing rookie, even though this is my third boat. But I am now a single handed sailor, at least for gunkholing. Enjoy the pics everyone.
Steven Hays - Spring Break Sailing 09

Steven

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.