Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008

firefitn is on a distinguished road
Oday 22/23 vs 25/26

I am looking at a trailer boat, and was wondering what the differences between the Oday 22/23' vs the Oday 25'/26' are? I am new to sailing and would be sailing alone 80% of the time, with occasional guests, for daysailing to traveling/weekending. I live in Wisconsin, so there are pleanty of options for locations to sail, madison, appleton, castle rock, lake michigan, and apostle islands. unfortunately I would have to trailer to all of these, hence the need of a trailer sailer. Any help will be welcomed. Im planning on taking some sailing courses in Milwaukee next spring

Thanks kurt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2008

also would they be good first boats??
Old 09-30-2008

LakePirate is on a distinguished road
I had an O'Day 23 for 14 years. It's a great boat. Had a great little cabin for weekend trips and enough room in the cockpit for four adults. I kept it in a slip though. I would not have used it nearly as much (at least 3 time a month) if I had to step the mast each time. Trailer-able boats of that size are nice if you want to take one to a distant lake for a long stay but I would not want to have to do it each time I wanted to go sailing for a day or two.
Old 09-30-2008
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road
I have a 26 its great for weekends/week stays. Think any one of them would be a great 1st boat. I Agree with LakePirate, stepping the mast and setting it up each and every time would be a bear. But I'm sure with practice and an established routine, and if you do not mind giving up the time, it could be done

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-30-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

The main difference between the two boats is that the extra size and weight of the bigger boat will make it much more difficult to trailer. My first boat was a Catalina 22. I trailer sailed it the first year. It was a real hassle to step the mast, connect the boom, launch the boat, etc.

The 22' boat is small and light enough that one or two people can easily do the work to rig and launch. It will take you about an hour, but you can do it. It can also be towed with a minivan, small truck, suv, etc. By the time you get to a 25' boat, it's going to be much harder to step the mast, launch, tow, etc. You will also need a real truck to tow it.

There are people who tow 25' boats (and bigger) but they are pretty rare, and for a reason.

IMHO, if you want to trailer sail a boat, start with something in the 20-22 range.

Good luck,
Barry

Old 09-30-2008

TIKI TIME is on a distinguished road
My first boat was a 1984 Oday 222 (22 footer). Great little boat, took good care of me and the wife while learning to sail. I had looked at an Oday 25 before purchasing the 22, and from what I remember, the main difference between the two were size, of course and price. I purchased the 22 footer for about half the cost of the 25 footer, both in similar condition. If I remember correctly the 25 had a head whereas the 22 doesn't.
Also the 22 has a retractable centerboard, great for anchoring out in small coves with skinny water. Like Pirate said, great little cabin for weekend trips. Be sure and rig you up a cockpit canopy to use while anchored. Being able to use the cockpit as extra living area makes the boat feel much bigger.
Old 09-30-2008

I have a 1999 chevy tahoe that is rated for 10800 so I don't think I'll have problems
Old 09-30-2008

mstern is on a distinguished road
There are some significant differences between the 22, 23 and 25, but they are a "family" of boats with many similar design features. I am less familiar with the Oday 26, but it appears to be very similar to the 25, just with a more angular appearance. All are great first boats. There are also significant differences in features of each based on model years. Check out the I Heart Odays website for lots of detail.

I Heart O'Days
Old 09-30-2008

how difficult is it to step the mast and attach the boom? Can it be done alone? Are there winches or how are they set up?
Old 09-30-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
I owned the 25. The 23, 25 & 26 were very similar in design and sailing, very capable and comfortable boats for their size.. The 22 is a older design. I would avoid that boat. The 23 would be the best pick for trailerability. The 25 is a beast to trailer, but you can. The mast is raised with the boom as a gin pole, and can be careful done by one person or done quite easily by 2.

OdayOwners.com - Home