Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012

telecam is on a distinguished road
Re: "Buyer's Market" - any data to back it up?

Beneteau raised their prices 7% August 1. Their expenses have either skyrocketed or they see a shift in the market and want to increase their profit margins.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2012

turfguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to turfguy

I think the important question is if financing is available for the average buyer, then prices will stay stronger, but if you cannot get financing then eventually prices will drop more. Same as the housing market, great home prices, but tough to get a mortgage for the average buyer. I had my home sold a couple times, buyer could not qualify for the loan

If I could sell the house, I would pay up for the boat I want. Oh well!
Old 08-07-2012

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

Financing doesn't seem a problem to me. I checked with my credit union 15 or more years 5.99% on 60 grand for a old sailboat late 70s early 80s. The one didn't book out high enough no problem just get the survey to the price I want to pay. They would finance the full amount no money down if I choose. On the power boater conversion , I had one out this weekend looking at my 37 c to buy. He is running through about $500 a month in gas on a 23 footer. Even with a few converting to sail the sail market will be weak for years to come. To much inventory/ cost to keep and less disposable income.
Old 08-07-2012
Much to learn...

Capt-T is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Capt-T

I'm still waiting to find out if Stillraining has sold his 30' SeaRay!!
Old 08-11-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

The only hard stats I have is on the Harbor 20s and Harbor 25s. Harbor 20s in good shape are snapped up quickly at very little depreciation. I've seen 10 year old well maintained Harbor 20s sell for 80% of new. The Harbor 25s also get snapped up quickly - used they typically sell for 80% of new MSRP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkYe...ure=plpp_video
Old 08-22-2012

jfried is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat17 View Post
It is "common knowledge" that it is now a buyer's market for new and used boats. It is often repeated here, as well as the popular press.

Does anybody have any data to back it up - plots of final sale prices, days on the market etc. Trying to get my hands around how much I might want to offer if I come across the right boat. Like anyone I don't want to pay too much now, especially if selling prices are in a free fall - better to wait (unless it is the perfect boat).

As a single data point, A Freedom 28 for sale in RI was appraised at $27 to $30K in May of 2008 as part of a survey the source being the BUC value book. I did an appraisal via BUC online today, value listed as $23.7 to $26.3K for average condition. NADA $22.5 to $25.3K, BoatUS $22.3K.

Seller is asking $29.5K. I think they are a bit out of line, while appearing to be in fine shape, she needs new sails and a new dodger and doesn't have any upgrades to speak of.
Maybe it's the business education talking, but I don't think there's any such thing as a buyer's market or seller's market when talking across the board -- just a market.

Of course, you could make the case (quite convincingly) that we are in more of a buyer's market than we were 5 years ago... but that's stating the obvious. 2 years ago? I'd say we're in more of a sellers market than we were 2 years ago. Of course, when making a purchasing decision, because you're buying/selling the boat today versus buying /selling the boat in the future.

So the real question is -- where do you see the market for sailboats going? Have we put the global economic downtown behind us with good days (and disposable income) ahead? Is sailing going to increase or decrease in popularity / desirability over the near future? What impact will the retiring baby boomers have? Are they going to spend their hard earned money on boats, or going to sell the ones they have because they no longer have an income to support keeping the boat?

Furthermore, you could ask the question of whether your particular market (boat type / size / location / age / price point) is more or less buyer friendly
than the global market for sailboats.

My 2 cents? I wouldn't buy a new boat unless I was paying close to used boat prices. In my opinion there hasn't been a ton of innovation in regards to quality of new boats versus those built 3-5 years ago. I think that like other transportation devices, there is a strong tendency to not want "somebody else's worn down ___" and as such the used boat market is not strong enough to bring prices up to the point where the price difference between new versus used equals the benefits of new vs used. That being said, that could simply be my personal preferences, along with not valuing the benefits of a brand new boat to a great enough extent.
Old 08-23-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
My 2 cents? I wouldn't buy a new boat unless I was paying close to used boat prices. In my opinion there hasn't been a ton of innovation in regards to quality of new boats versus those built 3-5 years ago. I think that like other transportation devices, there is a strong tendency to not want "somebody else's worn down ___" and as such the used boat market is not strong enough to bring prices up to the point where the price difference between new versus used equals the benefits of new vs used. That being said, that could simply be my personal preferences, along with not valuing the benefits of a brand new boat to a great enough extent.
I never buy big ticket items - Cars, boats, houses etc - new, there's too big a hit on depreciation. Finding a lightly used whatever saves such a big piece of change for very little compromise.

I once read a quote that one only HAD to have two things new - food & underwear. That goes well beyond my personal choice but there is an element of truth to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-23-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I never buy big ticket items - Cars, boats, houses etc - new, there's too big a hit on depreciation. Finding a lightly used whatever saves such a big piece of change for very little compromise.

I once read a quote that one only HAD to have two things new - food & underwear. That goes well beyond my personal choice but there is an element of truth to it.
Fully agree. I have not bought a new vehicle since 1973 for exactly the reasons you state. Most of my furniture is used (much of it antique) but I draw the line on bedding, for a number of reasons, not the least being the invasion of bed bugs in North America.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 08-23-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
I just received a notification on a Sabre 30 yesterday from my broker at 8:15AM. It sold to someone else less than one hour after being listed for the full asking price; which I learned when I said "I want to see it!" Sounds "seller's market" to me on that one. ;-)

With homes it's location, location, location. With used boats it's condition, condition, condition.

Brokers have sources for sell price vs listing price. Most everything "routine" seems to be dropping 10% in the last six months. With the latest news, God knows? Is your money safer in a boat or the bank?

I'm planning on still buying a boat.

Those that need large loans? THAT will crimp the buyers and could reduce new boat sales - bringing UP the used boat market.
Remember, a buyer can offer anything. Final sale price after survey is another story. It can be a strategy for a creative buyer. Offer anything, get the boat off the market, surveys, banks, insurance companies, mechanics, riggers, sailmakers, then come back with a laundry list of fixes and then low ball. Long distance buyers may have to do the same. Offer full price pending a survey and inspection, travel to the boat, meet the surveyor and get down to business.

The boat could also be in extraordinary condition. That in itself is a rare find on the used boat market. Boats are often sold due to lack of interest or time to enjoy the product.

And of course there is no shortage of sellers who will only sell at their price, as apposed to the market price. That does not change in any market, but when the bottom slips it leaves more boats on the market for years.

The housing market is no different except that people have mortgages to pay off and most would like to make a buck so the houses sit unsold.

Last edited by RobGallagher; 08-23-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road

So if we are still in a buyers market.....how do you price a boat you have for sale?

I spoke to some brokers lately who have told me that many boats end up selling for about ten percent less than the asking price. But how do you decide what your asking price should be?