Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012

hasher is on a distinguished road
Re: "Buyer's Market" - any data to back it up?

I am looking to buy my first sail boat.

It is sad for the sellers, but for buyers it is a great market.

I'm in Florida presently and see a lot of great boats on the market.

The value you get for your buck is not determined primarily by the price. It is determined by how much you use it. I bought a new Harley a couple years back and unlike most, I have put a lot of miles on it. I plan to do the same with the boat.

I enjoy reading the posts here.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQuinn View Post
So if we are still in a buyers market.....how do you price a boat you have for sale?

I spoke to some brokers lately who have told me that many boats end up selling for about ten percent less than the asking price. But how do you decide what your asking price should be?
most broker listed boats will be priced by recent comparable sales via soldboats.com....

OTOH, private sellers typically want to get their loan paid off, and a return on repairs, equipment and up grades..just not going to happen

A good broker will assess and assist in pricing the boat to sell in 30 days, 90 days, or never. Some really good ones will be honest with you about the condition and quality of your boat and some may even not take the listing if the price to condition ratio is way out of line.

Most buyers will offer less than asking and that can be from 75-10% off...As a seller, I always want the offer presented with any conditions. ie The last boat I sold was bought as is where is, within 10% of asking price, no survey, no sea trial, no inspection, nothing I had to do.

The boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, regardless of make, length, loans held, etc.
Old 08-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Fully agree. I have not bought a new vehicle since 1973 for exactly the reasons you state. Most of my furniture is used (much of it antique) but I draw the line on bedding, for a number of reasons, not the least being the invasion of bed bugs in North America.
I'd class bedding in with underwear - if my naked bod is going to be wrapped in it, I want it new.
Cal28 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-30-2012
Pirate Chief

Paddyd is on a distinguished road

I searched several versions of "used boat market 2012" on the web ...new boat sales are down , used boat sales are flat , material for new boat costs have risen 7% and that is due to enviromental type stuff .......

Your college marketing tells you several basic points ......
If your boat doesnt sell in 35 to 45 days you are priced too high...it is a depreciating asset...... if you dont get an offer in 20 days your price is too high ......
for a depreciating asset..... if you cant sell it in 45 days you have a problem.
I have owned and sold 18 boats in 25 years each with a purchase and sale price from $20,000 to $50,000 .....the longest it took me to sell was 31 days .....Good product at good price always sells and sells fast .....
if you are buying a boat make an offer that you feel good with .....maybe you are a 10% guy maybe a 20% guy maybe a 25% guy ....always asking for 10 or 20 or 25% off the asking price that is ok.....Make the offer ......present the offer and explain why you arrived at this price to the owner in an open and clear forum , dont be shy .....a lot of brokers dont fully explain or expand on how you arrived at the offer price, the worst the owner can do is say NO , talk to the owner directly during the process ....he should counter offer ......if he doesnt counter in 24 hours move on immediately to your second option......buying the right boat can take months , be calm , when you step on the boat you will know it ....and when the price is right you will know it ......
Old 08-30-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I'd class bedding in with underwear - if my naked bod is going to be wrapped in it, I want it new.
I don't know, if you stay in a hotel, you are likely sleeping on sheets that have been slept on by as many as hundreds of people. though one hopes they have been washed. Though the comforter and blankets have likely not been.

Just a happy thought. Glad I don't have to travel much for work currently.
Old 08-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I don't know, if you stay in a hotel, you are likely sleeping on sheets that have been slept on by as many as hundreds of people. though one hopes they have been washed. Though the comforter and blankets have likely not been.

Just a happy thought. Glad I don't have to travel much for work currently.
Yeah, you have to live with that in a public facility BUT, I ain't about to buy their used sheets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-09-2012

tomfl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyd View Post
I searched several versions of "used boat market 2012" on the web ...new boat sales are down , used boat sales are flat , material for new boat costs have risen 7% and that is due to enviromental type stuff .......

Your college marketing tells you several basic points ......
If your boat doesnt sell in 35 to 45 days you are priced too high...it is a depreciating asset...... if you dont get an offer in 20 days your price is too high ......
for a depreciating asset..... if you cant sell it in 45 days you have a problem.
I have owned and sold 18 boats in 25 years each with a purchase and sale price from $20,000 to $50,000 .....the longest it took me to sell was 31 days .....Good product at good price always sells and sells fast .....
if you are buying a boat make an offer that you feel good with .....maybe you are a 10% guy maybe a 20% guy maybe a 25% guy ....always asking for 10 or 20 or 25% off the asking price that is ok.....Make the offer ......present the offer and explain why you arrived at this price to the owner in an open and clear forum , dont be shy .....a lot of brokers dont fully explain or expand on how you arrived at the offer price, the worst the owner can do is say NO , talk to the owner directly during the process ....he should counter offer ......if he doesnt counter in 24 hours move on immediately to your second option......buying the right boat can take months , be calm , when you step on the boat you will know it ....and when the price is right you will know it ......
A lot of good stuff here.

What I would point out is that I have been looking to buy a boat for around six months. Something along the lines of a pocket/coastal multihull cruiser.

Boats I have considered include a C31, Telstar, Dragonfly, Gemini, PDQ, Seawind 1000, and others in this general class. I would bet I could find at least 50 boats I have looked at that have been advertised for six months or longer. Only one of the boats has had a drop in price and it was way above similar boats to start with and even with the price drop is still in the high range for similar boats.

Only two of the boats I have seriously looked at have sold and both were priced way below other similar boats. I have taken four trips to South Florida and am always shocked at how many boats there are in that area, how many boats are for sale there, and how little use most of the boats there seem to get.

I have extensive experience in the real estate market and a solid theoretical background in economics. While it is easy to read how markets should work, and how to a great extent marks do work the fact of the matter is that the boat market defies description.

In a normal market I would have already bought a boat but there is so much friction in the boat market I have no idea just how long it will take me to find the right boat at the right price.
Old 09-13-2012

TomandKarens34 is on a distinguished road

With boats, its condition, condition, condition. In Maine, for the difference in price going into the tens of thousands, its worth going to Florida to buy in the 40 foot and over range. For my favorite dream boat, the difference is $25K. I could float around the Bahamas for two years on that kind of cash.

Last edited by TomandKarens34; 09-13-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: clairity
Old 09-13-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandKarens34 View Post
With boats, its condition, condition, condition. In Maine, for the difference in price going into the tens of thousands, its worth going to Florida to buy in the 40 foot and over range. For my favorite dream boat, the difference is $25K. I could float around the Bahamas for two years on that kind of cash.
A few friends (including a broker who has gone south to buy boats) have told me that Florida boats age much faster than boats from up north. They get a lot more UV exposure than Maine boats, and any moisture intrusion is more likely to lead to rot because of the higher heat history. They suggested that for this reason, the lower price of Florida boats is a false economy. Maybe it makes sense if you're going to keep the boat in the Bahamas or other southern location, but they said it's not worth it to buy a boat in Florida and bring it up north. They said the higher resale price of northern boats is based on less aging.

Based on your experience, what do you think about this advice?

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 09-13-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Brokers from Maine argue that it is not worth it for buyers to go to Florida to buy a boat. Gee, what a surprise. Don't you think there might be a little bit of self-serving rationalization there?

There are more boats for sale in Florida. I just did a quick check on yachtworld.com for monohull sailboats between 35 and 45 feet. Florida has 510 for sale. Maine has 98 for sale. Economics 101, simple supply-and-demand, will tell you that there is going to be more price competition in Florida, and hence the prices are going to be lower.

I suppose it is possible that boats age more quickly in Florida (though I'm not sure I really buy that). Nonetheless, more competition still means lower prices, even for boats of identical condition. The higher resale price of northern boat is based on simple economics--less competition.