Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008

thesnort is on a distinguished road
Buyer's Remorse

I just tuned in to the forum homepage and saw the "Buyer's..." thread title, which refers to buyers' market. I thought about buyer's remorse though and wondered if anyone here has had any remorse with one of their purchases.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2008

sab30 is on a distinguished road
Sales 101

Buy on emotion..rationalize with logic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sab30
Old 10-02-2008

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
always have buyers remorse. Not so much because I'm unhappy with the boat, but it never fails, I'll hunt for months or longer to find something, then finally buy one, and a few days later I'll be seeing the same thing everywhere for half the price I paid.

I can normally console myself with the fact that I'm a good judge of how much work a boat needs, and don't end up with junk, they may look like it when I drag them home, but they're always pretty solid and in good physical shape.

Ken.
Old 10-03-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I'm not sure what I'm experiencing is buyers remorse, because like merc, we are both really satisified with our new boat and we made sure we could pay for it. That said, in light of recent events, I'm concerned about how it will affect our other financial goals.

Had this melt down occured before I'd bought, I would not have bought the boat. I alternate days thinking its a good thing I did buy and wishing I had that money in savings.
Old 10-04-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
I had/have sellers remorse after selling our Baba 30, but now I just think about all of that teak to take care of and I get "cured" real fast. Our new boat has a teak cap rail and hand-holds and that's it.

Nowadays I get buyer's remorse just going to the grocery store and gassing up the car!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
... in light of recent events, I'm concerned about how it will affect our other financial goals.

Had this melt down occured before I'd bought, I would not have bought the boat. I alternate days thinking its a good thing I did buy and wishing I had that money in savings.
That's precisely where I'm at.

Our boat's an older boat, has had a bunch of stuff moved around topsides due to upgrades, and has a couple of other issues that would make her a hard sell. So if things turn really sour, it has occured to me we might have to end-up donating her just to get out from under the maintenence costs. That would really hurt, and not just financially .

I do not regret the purchase, but I wouldn't have done it had it been this year, rather than last.

Jim