SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Help, I need a pick-me-up... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/47715-help-i-need-pick-me-up.html)

josrulz 10-04-2008 07:08 PM

Help, I need a pick-me-up...

Hey everyone, I've got no real point here, but am hoping for a little pick me up. We've been looking for the "right" boat for several months now, with no luck. Quick background--we're looking at 30 -35 foot cruising boats, mostly 20 - 25 years old. I've been sailing all my life, but this is my first crack at owning as an adult, and I'm picky.

We've been up and down the Eastern seaboard. We've seen boats that are just plain awful (so bad you wonder how they had the guts to list it at that price), and boats that are decent but not great. We've even found a couple of fantastic boats, but there was something else wrong like turning out to be too small for our needs or a layout we hated.

So far, the best we've found is not in our area (about 6 days sailing away), and is decent but not bristol. I'm not seaking perfection in a boat this old, just a minimal amount of problems that require immediate work for safety/reliability reasons. But maybe I'm just too picky.

Anyway, I'm not really looking for advice (although always welcome it), just looking for encouragement. We're going to find the right boat, right? Right? RIGHT? :)

sailingdog 10-04-2008 07:14 PM

If you keep looking, you'll find the right boat...

SSailor 10-04-2008 07:40 PM

The right boat

Yes, you will find the right boat! However, there are always compromises, so be willing to give up something in order to get just the right boat for your needs. There are LOTS of boats out there and now is a good time to buy. Good luck!

camaraderie 10-04-2008 07:48 PM

It took us 1.5 years to find Camaraderie...and as it was, had to settle for a fixer-upper rather than a ready to go boat...but it was worth it. Hang in there...the boat will find you!

NOLAsailing 10-04-2008 07:50 PM

Enjoy the hunt. It seems horrible and then, all of sudden you find the right boat and you wonder if you're moving too fast! Seriously, just keep at it. If you really can't find the right boat in the right area, you can always make an offer on a boat that's not "officially" for sale - that worked for me.

Also - just think of the payoffs:

http://www.rambunctiousracing.com/si...1a-450x308.jpg

http://www.rambunctiousracing.com/si...s5-600x398.jpg

tommyt 10-04-2008 07:53 PM

If you seriously want a boat you will find it. Nothing wrong with being picky. However, I have a friend that has been looking for the perfect boat for 10 years. He just does not want to pull the trigger. I am convinced he will never find it.....he just enjoys looking. Whatever floats your boat I guess!

craigtoo 10-04-2008 09:32 PM

I love my boat....

When I first started looking, my broker took me to loads of boats. Great time. I remember the first time I stepped foot on a Sabre. I was CONVINCED that a Tartan 37 was the only boat for me. Tartan makes such a great boat.

But I was so happy with how the Sabre looked, and the layout below decks... and the feel above. Sexy lines... fast. Tall rig for the light Chessie air. I was so impressed with this boat.

AHhhhh She's like Julianne Hough Hot! *sigh*

Anyway...
Part of loving a boat is making the Comittment too. Make sure it's a boat you can believe in, good bones, checks off all the "must haves" and a bunch of the "nice to haves"... and take the plunge. You'll love her more every day.

She's out there.

....now why can't anyone help me find a girlfriend???..... :) :D :D :)

josrulz 10-04-2008 09:44 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for the encouragement. I really hope it won't be 1.5 years (or 10!). I think we'll get there. Some of it might just be taking the plunge. The boat that's 6 days away isn't bad--just hard to jump in head first! We'll see...

Craigtoo, We're looking at Sabres too. We started our search looking at a lot of other boats, and still have a few of them on "the list", but we can't help really liking the Sabres the most. :)

Faster 10-04-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigtoo (Post 379665)
now why can't anyone help me find a girlfriend???..... :) :D :D :)

Maybe, just maybe, there's no girlfriend because every one you meet gets compared to the delectable Julianne.. who, btw as a devout Morman is also quite unattainable...

sailingdog 10-04-2008 10:19 PM

I thought you and Painkiller were an item. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by craigtoo (Post 379665)
I love my boat....

When I first started looking, my broker took me to loads of boats. Great time. I remember the first time I stepped foot on a Sabre. I was CONVINCED that a Tartan 37 was the only boat for me. Tartan makes such a great boat.

But I was so happy with how the Sabre looked, and the layout below decks... and the feel above. Sexy lines... fast. Tall rig for the light Chessie air. I was so impressed with this boat.

AHhhhh She's like Julianne Hough Hot! *sigh*

Anyway...
Part of loving a boat is making the Comittment too. Make sure it's a boat you can believe in, good bones, checks off all the "must haves" and a bunch of the "nice to haves"... and take the plunge. You'll love her more every day.

She's out there.

....now why can't anyone help me find a girlfriend???..... :) :D :D :)