Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Help, I need a pick-me-up...

Hey everyone, I've got no real point here, but am hoping for a little pick me up. We've been looking for the "right" boat for several months now, with no luck. Quick background--we're looking at 30 -35 foot cruising boats, mostly 20 - 25 years old. I've been sailing all my life, but this is my first crack at owning as an adult, and I'm picky.

We've been up and down the Eastern seaboard. We've seen boats that are just plain awful (so bad you wonder how they had the guts to list it at that price), and boats that are decent but not great. We've even found a couple of fantastic boats, but there was something else wrong like turning out to be too small for our needs or a layout we hated.

So far, the best we've found is not in our area (about 6 days sailing away), and is decent but not bristol. I'm not seaking perfection in a boat this old, just a minimal amount of problems that require immediate work for safety/reliability reasons. But maybe I'm just too picky.

Anyway, I'm not really looking for advice (although always welcome it), just looking for encouragement. We're going to find the right boat, right? Right? RIGHT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you keep looking, you'll find the right boat...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-04-2008

SSailor is on a distinguished road
The right boat

Yes, you will find the right boat! However, there are always compromises, so be willing to give up something in order to get just the right boat for your needs. There are LOTS of boats out there and now is a good time to buy. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
It took us 1.5 years to find Camaraderie...and as it was, had to settle for a fixer-upper rather than a ready to go boat...but it was worth it. Hang in there...the boat will find you!
Old 10-04-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Enjoy the hunt. It seems horrible and then, all of sudden you find the right boat and you wonder if you're moving too fast! Seriously, just keep at it. If you really can't find the right boat in the right area, you can always make an offer on a boat that's not "officially" for sale - that worked for me.

Also - just think of the payoffs:

Old 10-04-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
If you seriously want a boat you will find it. Nothing wrong with being picky. However, I have a friend that has been looking for the perfect boat for 10 years. He just does not want to pull the trigger. I am convinced he will never find it.....he just enjoys looking. Whatever floats your boat I guess!
Old 10-04-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
I love my boat....

When I first started looking, my broker took me to loads of boats. Great time. I remember the first time I stepped foot on a Sabre. I was CONVINCED that a Tartan 37 was the only boat for me. Tartan makes such a great boat.

But I was so happy with how the Sabre looked, and the layout below decks... and the feel above. Sexy lines... fast. Tall rig for the light Chessie air. I was so impressed with this boat.

AHhhhh She's like Julianne Hough Hot! *sigh*

Anyway...
Part of loving a boat is making the Comittment too. Make sure it's a boat you can believe in, good bones, checks off all the "must haves" and a bunch of the "nice to haves"... and take the plunge. You'll love her more every day.

She's out there.

....now why can't anyone help me find a girlfriend???.....

I love
Old 10-04-2008
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Hey everyone, thanks for the encouragement. I really hope it won't be 1.5 years (or 10!). I think we'll get there. Some of it might just be taking the plunge. The boat that's 6 days away isn't bad--just hard to jump in head first! We'll see...

Craigtoo, We're looking at Sabres too. We started our search looking at a lot of other boats, and still have a few of them on "the list", but we can't help really liking the Sabres the most.

Last edited by josrulz; 10-04-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post
now why can't anyone help me find a girlfriend???.....
Maybe, just maybe, there's no girlfriend because every one you meet gets compared to the delectable Julianne.. who, btw as a devout Morman is also quite unattainable...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I thought you and Painkiller were an item.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post
I love my boat....

When I first started looking, my broker took me to loads of boats. Great time. I remember the first time I stepped foot on a Sabre. I was CONVINCED that a Tartan 37 was the only boat for me. Tartan makes such a great boat.

But I was so happy with how the Sabre looked, and the layout below decks... and the feel above. Sexy lines... fast. Tall rig for the light Chessie air. I was so impressed with this boat.

AHhhhh She's like Julianne Hough Hot! *sigh*

Anyway...
Part of loving a boat is making the Comittment too. Make sure it's a boat you can believe in, good bones, checks off all the "must haves" and a bunch of the "nice to haves"... and take the plunge. You'll love her more every day.

She's out there.

....now why can't anyone help me find a girlfriend???.....

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.