Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008

rdstanley is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30

My wife and I are looking at a 1988 Catalina 30 and I was wondering how satisfied or dissatisfied current or previous owners have been. We will mainly use it for weekends in Eastern NC. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Excellent family cruising boat for the Pamlico. Probably the most popular 30' boat ever and with good reason. Post '86 boats do not have the plywood in the bilge beneath the keel boats problem that pre-86 boats do. Most of the pre-86 have probably been fixed now, but it is worth knowing if you loo at one. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
rd
this is my first season with my '78 cat 30. the family loves it. this year mostly day sails with a few overnights. plenty of room for a family of four overnight. it's my first boat so i don't have anything to compare it to but it has everything i wanted. i would recommend it. there is a great cat 30 forum at Catalina30 : Catalina 30 Owners Online List. you can post questions there.
Old 10-04-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Never owned a 30 but have sailed on lots of them. Great family boat and perfect for a couple. They made over 10,000 of them so there must be something good there.
Old 10-05-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
There's plenty good there. I've been on a couple and raced against several. Apart from my conviction that they get a little squirrelly past 25 knots and in certain downwind situations, they are a great daysailer/short-haul coastal cruiser that will perform pretty well in light-air conditions.

The only design point I dislike is the HUGE companionway...I keep thinking of pooping waves going below via that gap, but if you are having pooping waves in a Catalina 30, you probably should head in.
Old 10-05-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
I've owned my 1984 Catalina 30 for almost three years now.

She's a great boat, and perfect for what I use her for, which is daysails, and cruising with my family of four.

Since you are looking at a 1988, you'll have the T-shaped cockpit, which accommodates the wheel better.

I've never seen a 30 foot boat with as much space inside. She sails well. Not a demon to windward, but still good performance.

There's a lot of teasing on this site about Catalinas in general, but it's mostly just good-natured ribbing.

Catalinas weren't designed to sail around the world, but are great for local cruising and daysails.

I'm very glad I bought mine.

There's a good reason that there were over 6000 of them made.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 10-05-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
I had one for three years in the late 80's. Large boat for its length but not the fastest boat in the sea. I hated the curtain track in the front cabin as it was just the wrong height to take the skin off my bald head as I went into the cabin. Some early models had trouble with the cabin top flexing about the base of the mast. This was later fixed by reinforcing the cabin top. We had Gauhauer blocks; every sheave deteriorated in the sun and all the blocks were replaced. The boat is still sailing in Florida 20 years later.
Old 10-05-2008
Spam, Food of the Seagods

Gryzio is on a distinguished road
Pretty Boats

I not sure the "American Sailboat Hall of Fame" really means much. But, for what it worth, the Catalina 30 is in it.
sailboathalloffame.com
Click "Inductees" up top!! The lower link did not work for me. Then click "Catalina 30".
Everyone has their opinion, but, I have always liked Catalina Sailboats. They are pretty and for a first time boat and just having fun, most are a good deal for the money because, as mentioned, they are everywhere and still being made (in a round about way)! This link looks wierd, not sure why, but, it goto Catalina Yachts.
I am looking at Catalina 22 for a play/experimental boat on a river. Which is a long story for here. So, I not go there.

Last edited by Gryzio; 10-05-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-06-2008
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
I bought mine three years ago and really enjoy it. I sail on Lake Erie and have been out in some pretty bad seas and it has performed well. Mine is a 1983, but was well taken care of. Relatively easy to maintain also.
Old 10-06-2008

robfinora is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30 is a great boat - tremendous value for the money. I would recommend joining the C-30 group on Yahoo and connect with owners of the same year / model if you want to learn specifics around what to look out for or negotiate on your purchase. I have a '78 Catalina and its a great all-round boat!